GO!

Where do you buy your meat? (homemade fed kitties)

This is a dedicated place for all of your questions and answers about Raw Diets. There are also some really cool groups like "Raw Fed" on the topic you can join. This forum is for people who already know they like the raw diet or sincerely want to learn more. Please remember that you are receiving advice from peers and not professionals. If you have specific health-related questions about your cat's diet, please contact your vet!

(Page 2 of 2: Viewing entries 11 to 19)  
1  2  
Penn & Teller

Masters of The- Multiverse

Purred: Mon Feb 14, '11 2:48pm PST 
no I just ran out of cat food on Sunday and the pet store closed at 6pm. *bad cat momma* BAD BAD! I had ground beef and hungry kittens. There was no way I was feeding them Fancy Feast because they have never had it and they would have had explosive consequences. We have a Whole Foods, and quite a few local Creole and Cajun local groceries around here with different protein sources I am sure I can find something. I know I can find enough gizzards and livers and oh man tripe to feed my cats forever. I'm still going to get some things from Hare Today. I'm hesitant about chicken because they don't like chicken canned cat food and they didn't like chicken Nature's Variety medallions.
That leaves me with locally with venison, duck, quail, turkey, pork, beef (Teller turns his nose, rabbit and lamb although the price of pork here just shot up.
Is there a kitty failsafe yumyum?
[notify]

Shade

My name is not- Kittyfloss!

Purred: Tue Feb 15, '11 3:23am PST 
No failsafe one unfortunately, but most cats seem to love rabbit. Shade and Smudge really l-o-v-e cloud 9 turkey, with lamb and rabbit right up there too. Bison is a big favorite, but they almost never get it, too expensive and hard to find. Beef would come next. Chaucer's favorite food in the world seems to be whole prey quail chicks and any people food he can manage to steal when no one is looking.
[notify]

BK

Ambassador at- the Kitty U.N.

Purred: Tue Feb 15, '11 5:09am PST 
You've got plenty of variety to start and you might try to introduce chicken again at a later date - the real thing bears no resemblance to what's in a can and it's a good/cheap/easy source of both protein and bones. BK's a red meat kitty - venison, lamb and beef top the favorites list but I make sure he gets whiter meat too.
[notify]

Penn & Teller

Purred: Tue Feb 15, '11 11:02am PST 
all right so I bit the bullet and went shopping at Whole Foods about an hour ago. The butcher there was so nice I told her that my cats weren't tolerating cat food at all and she was nice enough to locate some chicken backs for bone content and beat the crud out of them for me! She priced them each at 63 cents which is awesome because it's Whole Foods. I also got some chicken livers and some ground up Turkey Thighs. I took these home along with some Taurine for good measure. I'll deal with that later.
I didn't want to wait I wanted to try some Frankenprey with real bones and such so I did...

This was a success! My kittens love bones, they loved tearing that chicken back up. P&T went at the chicken back before I could even cut into it with the shears so I know I have to put them in the other room haha. The ground turkey not so much now that they had the boned meat. They don't want that ground up stuff. I laid out the livers after the fact and neither of them touched it so it's still out there. I'm not sure if they are just full or what. I find this interesting since bones are what most people can't get their cats to eat. Seems like these boys just have a field day with those.
I dont find Frankenprey as hard as I thought. A little o this a little o that and some o this. I can probably just put it in little baggies and in the fridge, yeah? I am really not sophisticated enough to know how much kittens eat in a week though. I can't go week to week I still have to go meal by meal.
[notify]

Penn & Teller

Purred: Tue Feb 15, '11 11:28am PST 
Whoops update I went back in there and caught Teller eating what was left of the ground turkey and chicken back just now. He left the liver, as did the others. If I leave it out a little longer it may get eaten. I hope so. It is whole I did not cut it up, I'd like to have them tear it up. If they don't eat it we will!
[notify]

Shade

Purred: Tue Feb 15, '11 1:06pm PST 
Yay for your kittens! applause Shade and Smudge never had a problem with bones either, but it might be because they were very "mouthy"; I don't know if they were still teething or not when I introduced bones. They had completely chewed apart some baskets that we had around the same time that I 1st gave them bones.

Anyway, I with liver, I usually just cut them up each a piece or two, I've never put down whole livers for them to tear apart. Remember that you don't want to feed too much liver at once, or you'll be in for a pile of soft, smelly poop, and I know that's what you are trying to avoid. Liver causes the feces to be loose, bone causes them to be hard. You want to mix organs and bone in the right proportions so that you end up with normal poop. Checking a cat's feces is one way that raw feeders keep an eye on how the raw diet is going. You don't necessarily have to feed liver with a bone meal, but it is a good idea to at least feed a bone meal before or after a meal containing liver.

Yes, you can portion out your meals in baggies, that's what I do, but I store them in the freezer and try to remember (he he) to put them in the fridge to thaw overnight for the next day. At feeding time I put the baggies in a bowl of warm water to bring the meat to "mouse" temperature before feeding.

I bet that your Whole Foods is going to be loving you!

Purrs,
Shade
[notify]

Penn & Teller

Purred: Tue Feb 15, '11 1:25pm PST 
I ended up cutting up the livers and that released the yumminess I guess and they licked it up right away between them. From start to finish the kittens picked at their lunch for I guess 90 or so minutes maybe 110 minutes. I've read over and over again that the 30 minute rule isn't that set in stone considering their digestive activity. If this is too long let me know!
[notify]

Shadow

Education is the- Key

Purred: Tue Feb 15, '11 4:45pm PST 
Penn and Teller I love your names!!! smile
Just thought I would add this. I just wrote about it in the food part of the forum. So hopefully you will check it out. Dont want to rain on this but a little research about where we get our food from may help.
[notify]

Shade

Purred: Wed Feb 16, '11 5:44am PST 
My cats ususally finish their raw within 30 minutes, but there are times when it sits around for and hour or more before they eat it up. They've not been poisoned yet.big grin
[notify]

(Page 2 of 2: Viewing entries 11 to 19)  
1  2