GO!

Where do you buy your meat? (homemade fed kitties)

This is a dedicated place for all of your questions and answers about Raw Diets. There are also some really cool groups like "Raw Fed" on the topic you can join. This forum is for people who already know they like the raw diet or sincerely want to learn more. Please remember that you are receiving advice from peers and not professionals. If you have specific health-related questions about your cat's diet, please contact your vet!

(Page 1 of 2: Viewing entries 1 to 10)  
Page Links: 1  2  
Penn & Teller

Masters of The- Multiverse

Purred: Fri Feb 11, '11 11:47am PST 
so last night we had a breakthrough. My husband who feeds my feral cat Friskies when I'm not looking decided to feed her some raw ground round while he was cooking and she loved it. She hates everything but Friskies. I was shocked at this and then I was shocked at what came next. My husband who thinks all cat food is created equal decides it would be economical if we fed our cats raw meat from now on and inquired about things such as freezing it and so on. When I told him we needed bones as well as organs he said oh then we need a butcher right? I almost fell out.
So I'm asking you all, where do you buy your meats and such to make your noms?
I also think this is going to be better because in all honesty I see very little improvement in my kittens loose/unformed, terribly offensive stool which means the digestive problems aren't letting up. I think they're cat food intolerant or even allergic. I know I sound crazy but they are litter mates and therefore susceptible to the same affliction. I don't think they can hang with cat food. shrug
[notify]

Merlin - An Angel- Forever

*Poof*

Purred: Sat Feb 12, '11 6:28am PST 
A butcher shop will be able to give you meats, bones, organs, etc smile A regular supermarket may also have the items you need. Buy pieces of meat and cut/grind it yourself at home. Supermarket/butcher shop ground meat may contain harmful bacteria mixed throughout (Humans cook it so it is ok for them to eat).

An online raw pet food supply place is another option. http://hare-today.com/ is one place.

I guess a diet of raw meat, bones, and organs would be nutritionally complete thinking RMB/Frankenprey diet model, I think it's called? I'm only familiar with homemeade raw recipies that include added vitamins/minerals and using a pre-mix with raw meat. And semi-homemade raw where you buy a commerical raw pet food grind/mix and add in whatever supplements and stuff you want to customize the food for your pet's specific needs.

Here's more info on making your own raw food:

http://catinfo.org/?link=makingcatfood
http://www.catnutrition.org/index.php
http://feline-nutrition.org/index.php
[notify]

Lacey

Backflips are my- specialty!

Purred: Sat Feb 12, '11 9:02am PST 
Yup, a good butcher shop or even a green market sells it. Hare Today is definitely a good one. There are some others to order from:

U.S. Wellness Meats - http://www.grasslandbeef.com/Categories.bok?category=Pet+Food

htt p://www.wholefoods4pets.com/dogs-cats.htm

There's another one but currently they're not taking orders on their website. Don't know why. Good for you for finally getting through to him! Do it while you have the chance.
way to go
[notify]

BK

Ambassador at- the Kitty U.N.

Purred: Sat Feb 12, '11 11:04am PST 
I use a combination of meat from Hare-Today and my local GreenMarket since BK has to have pasture-fed meat because of his allergies. There are different ways to do raw, so you might want to check out some info I put together for Alex's website: http://ibdkitties.net/rawinstructions.html

Hope this helps, but feel free to let us know if you need any further info!
[notify]

Shade

My name is not- Kittyfloss!

Purred: Sat Feb 12, '11 11:05am PST 
Hi Penn & Teller's mom! I think that a raw diet might help with your cat's tummy problems a lot, since you know what you are putting into it! I personally feed a frankenprey diet without supplements added to the diet, except for l-lysine when the boy's herpes virus threatens to break out or sometimes I'll add taurine.

I buy my meat from the supermarket and from the aforementioned hare-today.com. We have a somewhat "upscale" local market chain that I buy most of the meat from, they have a good amount of local and organic meat, but I will also buy meat from Stop-N-Shop if I can't get to the other store. Try to buy at least some free range and organic meat, as well as "regular". Grass fed beef, for instance, has more nutrients than beef from cattle fed commercial pellets. Also, it is preferable to feed meat not loaded with antibiotics and hormones. Stay away from Purdue if at all possible when sourcing your poultry. It's impossible to feed organic and free range meats all the time, but if you can get some, it would be a great addition to your boy's diet.

Also it is important to feed as many different protein sources as your cats will eat, or are not intolerant to. Buy chicken, beef, turkey, rabbit, lamb, quail, bison, anything you can find. Many people feed pork, but I've only fed it a couple of times; it should be safe if it's sourced from USA or Canada. Don't feed grocery store ground meat unless you really trust the store and know that it was just ground that day and intend to feed or freeze it immediately.

Hare-today is great, they are located in PA and raise their own rabbits and I believe some of the other meat. They sell both ground meat blends that have bone and organ mixed in and chunks of meat and bone. I buy the small rabbit chunks quite often as well as the ground beef blend because the boys love it and it's easy to mix things like taurine and lysine into a ground food.

Since your cat's jaws aren't used to chewing and gnawing, start with very small pieces of meat and bone. It takes a little while for cat's jaws to build up strength enough to chew through larger bones. Good smaller bones are chicken necks and wing tips, game hens, and chicken and rabbit ribs.

In addition to the sites that someone else previously mentioned, also check out rawfedcats.org, this site discusses the frankendprey diet.

Good luck and feel free to ask questions and tell us how it's going!

Purrs,
Shade
[notify]

Mo

Save Plants - Let Me Eat- Meat!!!

Purred: Sun Feb 13, '11 10:31pm PST 
I get most of my meat from grocery stores, especially Safeway. Safeway is very nice about ordering what I want and compared to the other stores here has the best prices. I'm the only one that buys most of the stuff they order for me - such as kidney and chicken heart - and they put it on sale for me quite often smile
[notify]

Penn & Teller

Masters of The- Multiverse

Purred: Mon Feb 14, '11 10:27am PST 
Ive decided to start at Hare Today since all cats in the house can eat ground beef just fine and two adore it (Teller refuses ground beef but I think I'm going to order a sampler)

What should I add to this to complete it? Just the Taurine and Lysine? Should I add Psyllium? My vet did say that the high protein diets my kittens were on could have been causing their digestive issues and they needed more fiber but when I experimented feeding only ground beef I found not only did the kitten who ate it have formed poop but it didn't smell. It went from driving me out of the next room omg somethings wrong odorrific to not even registering!
[notify]

Shade

My name is not- Kittyfloss!

Purred: Mon Feb 14, '11 10:48am PST 
Hi! Good choice to try the sampler. I can't remember now what comes in it, but don't be suprised if they don't like everything, that happens. My cats despise the ground duck for instance.

Do not add psyllium to their meat, completely unnecessary. All the fiber required in a cat's diet comes from their prey. You also don't have to add lysine, unless you are worried about them having a feline herpes infection. Taurine is up to you, if you feel better about it, do it, but if you feed a variety of meats and especially if you include a lot of hearts, gizzards, and dark meats, you don't really need to. Rabbit, however, is very low in taurine, so if you end up feeding a lot of ground rabbit, them I would suggest supplementing.

I don't know if you want to bother with ordering anything other than the sampler, but you could try the duck hearts, my cats really love those. You could also try the small rabbit pieces, but I have to say that those pieces are actually rather large and contain large bones, so you might want to hold off until your cats get used to chewing on meat and smaller bones.

Let us know how they liek it when you get it!

Purrs,
Shade
[notify]

Lacey

Backflips are my- specialty!

Purred: Mon Feb 14, '11 11:36am PST 
Besides that, I find that psyllium gives A LOT of gas! Something you're trying to stay away from. Our grocery store here too is starting to carry some great stuff. Stop N Shop here in New England is now carrying ground ostrich meat, ground veal, ground bison. All kinds of stuff.
[notify]

BK

Ambassador at- the Kitty U.N.

Purred: Mon Feb 14, '11 1:11pm PST 
When I made ground rabbit for Teddy (it was the only thing he'd eat that he wasn't allergic to) I supplemented it based on the recipe on catinfo.org. I do suggest supplementing if you're only going to do the ground beef for any length of time. Once you get them on a wide variety of meat supplementing isn't necessary.
[notify]

(Page 1 of 2: Viewing entries 1 to 10)  
Page Links: 1  2