GO!

Quail meat content

This is a dedicated place for all of your questions and answers about Raw Diets. There are also some really cool groups like "Raw Fed" on the topic you can join. This forum is for people who already know they like the raw diet or sincerely want to learn more. Please remember that you are receiving advice from peers and not professionals. If you have specific health-related questions about your cat's diet, please contact your vet!

Dash

Hunter of the- Butterfly

Purred: Sun Feb 6, '11 10:03pm PST 
Hi guys! I'm just curious if anyone knows the ration of meat to bone for quail, or anywhere I could find that info. My kitties eat the whole quail if I cut it up in nickle sized pieces. The plan so far for Dash and Dusty is to feed raw for dinner every night. I would love to go all raw but the boys refuse to eat any later than 4:30am for breakfast. Try as I might and this will seem selfish to some, I cannot stay awake long enough to prepare raw food that early. I'm a college student and sleep is very valuable wink So, they get Orijen every morning and will get raw every night. They really go after that raw quail for their bone supper of the week. So they will get that for one meal to fulfill the 10% bone (depending on how the meat/bone ratio question is answered and I will adgust accordingly) and liver, kidney, and heart for another meal to fulfill the other odd ratios. Also, I realize that the heart portion will go into the muscle percentage. The other meals for the 80% meat requirement will consist of chicken, turkey, rabbit, or duck as I think they are allergic to beef. So, how do my ratios look? Also, how do you all feel about pork? I was talking to my grandfather who was a vet and meat inspector in Iowa (retired now) and he said that the threat of trichinosis is extremely low. Apparently one of his friends from vet school has tested for the disease for years and has only seen one infected swine. Anyways, thanks for the help!
[notify]

BK

Ambassador at- the Kitty U.N.

Purred: Mon Feb 7, '11 9:10am PST 
My guess is that if you're feeding the whole quail that's like feeding whole prey and is a complete meal in itself. It may be off slightly, but not by much. So your other meals are also going to need some bone. Some of the chicken and rabbit bones should be edible. We use chicken necks for our 10% because BK is so fussy about bones.

I don't feed pork but a lot of people do. Trichinosis isn't really a threat anymore, but to be sure about any parasites you can freeze for a couple of weeks before serving.

Hope this helps!
[notify]

Shade

My name is not- Kittyfloss!

Purred: Mon Feb 7, '11 10:27am PST 
Hi! Don't feel bad about feeding the Orijen for breakfast, my guys eat canned for breakfast too because they eat at 5:00am and my DH, who's the weekday breakfast feeder, just won't to the raw.

Anyway, as BK said the quail are probably balanced in and of themselves, so you will need to add further bone to some of your other meals. In addition to chicken necks and rabbit bones, game hens are good because they also have small bones. Even my Chaucer will eat GH rmb's and he can be picky about bones - he won't eat chicken necks at all. He does love whole quail though, like your cats.

Best of luck!

Shade
[notify]

Dash

Hunter of the- Butterfly

Purred: Mon Feb 7, '11 1:58pm PST 
nks o much for the responses! I would be very very suprised if the quail had 80% meat on it. It seems to be very boney and it does not include any organs, practically gutted inside. Thats not to say I'm experiencing any constipation, haha the business looks good here shh Where do you all find chicken necks? I live in Phoenix so it probably won't be that hard to find.
[notify]

Mo

Save Plants - Let Me Eat- Meat!!!

Purred: Tue Feb 8, '11 1:23pm PST 
I would think that quail is higher in bone as well - the same as a dressed chicken, which is 33% bone.

If it was whole prey it would be the right porpotions, but they don't sell such things in most stores, because people want their food ready to cook.
[notify]

Merlin - An Angel- Forever

*Poof*

Purred: Tue Feb 8, '11 5:05pm PST 
Any supermarket or butcher shop will have chicken necks, even turkey necks. An ethnic supermarket is also a good place to look. Look in the fresh meat section.
[notify]

Shade

My name is not- Kittyfloss!

Purred: Wed Feb 9, '11 3:42am PST 
Ah, I was talking about whole prey quail, feathers, beak and all. Sorry, I didn't know that you meant dressed quail. So, yes, I agree with the others, a dressed quail will provide more than your 10% bone content.

Purrs,
Shade
[notify]