GO!

Raw with rodent ulcer

This is a dedicated place for all of your questions and answers about Raw Diets. There are also some really cool groups like "Raw Fed" on the topic you can join. This forum is for people who already know they like the raw diet or sincerely want to learn more. Please remember that you are receiving advice from peers and not professionals. If you have specific health-related questions about your cat's diet, please contact your vet!

Sparks

Purred: Tue Dec 7, '10 9:13am PST 
I posted this on the cat health forum too but I want to ask specifically about the raw diet. Sparks may or may not have rodent ulcer, he also suffered trauma to his lip but either way he's showing the symptoms of rodent ulcer.

He's eating a mix of canned and raw but since rodent ulcer seems to be triggered by allergies in the environment maybe I should put him on all raw? On the other hand he's on antibiotics so his immune system might not be able to handle any raw.

I just want my baby to heal as fast as possible and I don't want to do anything that might make it worse.
[notify]

Shade

My name is not- Kittyfloss!

Purred: Tue Dec 7, '10 10:45am PST 
Hi Sparks! I don't know about rodent ulcer specifically, but Shade has been on antibiotics while being raw fed with no ill effects. Actually, I don't think that taking antibiotics would make it any more likely that a cat would get another infection from raw food.

As for allergies, if you go to a completely raw diet, as opposed to 1/2 and 1/2, at least you will know exactly what's going into him food-wise at every meal. You can never be sure with commercial food because of the possibilities of cross contamination (at least I know that this is true for human food that is not specifically labelled as "not containing" something).

Purrs,
Shade
[notify]

BK

Ambassador at- the Kitty U.N.

Purred: Tue Dec 7, '10 4:20pm PST 
I don't have rodent ulcers but I do have severe allergies and some of my symptoms sound just like them. I'm on all raw, but I can also eat some limited ingredient diet cans in emergencies. I'm also on a medicine called Atopica which is an immune suppressant and I've never had any trouble with raw. I didn't see exactly what kind of canned you're eating but if you don't go all raw, I do recommend a limited ingredient diet until your chin clears up - just in case there are some allergies involved. Good luck!
[notify]

Tissue

Purred: Tue Dec 7, '10 4:49pm PST 
They're both going all raw starting today. I was holding off before because they still have trouble with big chunks of meat and need me to cut it up into more manageable bits and thats hard to do in the morning when I am late to class. And cutting up before hand and putting it back in the fridge sounds like a good way to grow even more bacteria.

I was just very worried that he wouldn't be able to handle raw if he's on antibiotics. But thank you so much for your responses. An all raw diet is definitely the way to make sure that nothing in his diet is the reason for his allergies.
[notify]

Shade

Purred: Wed Dec 8, '10 4:03am PST 
There is no problem with cutting up meat ahead of time and freezing the servings down in individual packages; I do this all the time. Just use clean knives and cutting boards, put the meat in ziploc baggies or small plasticware dishes, and freeze. Put what you know you are going to feed the next day into your refrigerator at night to start thawing adn warm up right before feeding.

Yes, bacteria grow on the surface of meat, but when you freeze everything down immediately, the bacteria have no chance to colonize the newly cut surfaces. This is much more of a problem with ground meat that is not frozen.

So, save yourself some time!big grin

Purrs,
Shade
[notify]

BK

Purred: Wed Dec 8, '10 5:38am PST 
Shade, I think Tissue isn't freezing after cutting into bite-size pieces and that's what he's worried about. But Tissue, two points - Shade just gave you the standard way most of us do frankenprey. When you bring the meat home, divide into meal-size servings and freeze. I use those little baggies with no zipper. Then all the serving size baggies go into a freezer bag marked with what it is and the date. In your case I don't see why you couldn't cut the servings into bite-size pieces at that point - before freezing. Then when it's unthawed it's ready to serve. My second point is that I really wouldn't worry that much about bacteria. It's way more dangerous to you than it is to the kitties. Their systems are faster and more able to deal with it than ours. Go ahead and chop it up - they'll be fine.
[notify]

Sparks

Purred: Fri Dec 10, '10 5:24pm PST 
Hey thanks for all your responses. Update on Sparks: the swelling has gone down and is just constricted to one small area now and that are looks like its drying up. We've been on all raw.

So the deal with my cats is that Sparks needs his feed cut into bite sized pieces like a toddler and Tissue actually needs his minced and he licks it up like its canned food. I hope they'll both get to the point where I can just throw a hunk of meat down but hey at least they're eating raw which is a huge accomplishment since they wouldn't even sniff it two months ago.
[notify]

Shade

Purred: Sat Dec 11, '10 6:57am PST 
Awesome, good job! And glad that Sparks' sore is going away! As for the mincing, oh well, us mom's have got to do what a mom has got to do! laugh out loud I often have to hold one end of Shade's rmb for him, or he'll just there staring at it.

Purrs,
Shade's mom
[notify]

BK

Purred: Sat Dec 11, '10 7:54am PST 
OMC, I thought I was the only one that sits and holds the end of a chicken neck to give BK a hand. Or cut meat into tiny pieces if that's the mood he's in! I'm glad I'm not alone. laugh out loud

Tissue and Spark, you might want to consider one of Hare-Today's ground meats (with bones and organs). Some cats prefer ground over RMB's. My brother Teddy would only eat ground. If he even looked at a bone he'd vomit!
[notify]