GO!

Venison?

This is a dedicated place for all of your questions and answers about Raw Diets. There are also some really cool groups like "Raw Fed" on the topic you can join. This forum is for people who already know they like the raw diet or sincerely want to learn more. Please remember that you are receiving advice from peers and not professionals. If you have specific health-related questions about your cat's diet, please contact your vet!

Maddox

purrmonster

Purred: Wed Sep 29, '10 10:54am PST 
Should I have any concerns about feeding wild venison to Maddox? My boyfriend is an avid hunter and I am now beginning to stockpile an abundance of venison meat and organs. Are there any precautions that I should take before feeding it to Maddox?
[notify]

BK

Ambassador at- the Kitty U.N.

Purred: Wed Sep 29, '10 3:26pm PST 
I wish I could answer this - the only venison we can get is from our local GreenMarket or a specialty butcher. I can tell you that it's one of BK's all time favorites. If we had more access to it, he would be one happy kitty. I think if you freeze it for a few weeks it should be ok.
[notify]

BeBe

I'm just a- lover!

Purred: Wed Sep 29, '10 3:51pm PST 
My cats eat mostly venison. Venison, chicken, beef, and turkey lol Sometimes when we get venison we'll find buffalo. OMGoodness they love buffalobig laugh

The only thing I was concerned with was CWD but if the meats been processed for human consumption I wouldn't worry about CWD too much. Check to see if your area has an issue with it.
[notify]

Maddox

purrmonster

Purred: Thu Sep 30, '10 9:33am PST 
I have never heard of CWD so I don't know what it is but I will look into it. The meat has been processed for human consumption, but the organs have not. They were removed before the carcass was sent off to be processed. This is wild venison, not farmed. I am sure that makes a difference. I haven't fed any yet and at this point it has been frozen for about 3 weeks.
[notify]

BeBe

I'm just a- lover!

Purred: Fri Oct 1, '10 4:22pm PST 
I wouldn't worry about it. Animals with CWD are very obvious (look like they're starving). I doubt any hunter would kill a deer with CWD with intentions to eat it. Plus, once the meats processed for human consumption it should be safe. Therefore the organs from the deer would be safe as well.

CWD = chronic wasting disease.
[notify]

Maddox

purrmonster

Purred: Sat Oct 2, '10 2:26pm PST 
Thanks Bebe! I asked my bf (the "hunter" lol) and he said that CWD has never been documented in GA, and that there are very strict laws about import of venison products from other places because they want to keep it that way. Thanks for the advice everyone! I think I will let it all freeze a little longer before I start using it.

This is only vaguely related but: deer kidney is EXTREMELY small! I was hoping that I could get a good stash of it because I have a hard time finding kidney around here, but the kidneys are each about the size of a golf ball frown
[notify]