GO!

chicken thighs

This is a dedicated place for all of your questions and answers about Raw Diets. There are also some really cool groups like "Raw Fed" on the topic you can join. This forum is for people who already know they like the raw diet or sincerely want to learn more. Please remember that you are receiving advice from peers and not professionals. If you have specific health-related questions about your cat's diet, please contact your vet!

Shade

My name is not- Kittyfloss!

Purred: Mon Jan 11, '10 2:59pm PST 
Hi all! I have a question regarding chicken thighs, with or without the bone. My cats won't eat thighs anymore. I'm wondering if this is because of how they smell. The last several times that I've bought chicken thighs, over a period of months, I've noticed a rather distinctive, somewhat repellent (to me anyway) smell. Has anyone else noticed this? I've bought several different brands (brand name, store brand, organic/free range, not organic) and all the packages have the same smell. Is this the way chicken thighs smell, or is something wrong? I can't say that I blame the cats for not wanting to eat something that smells that way!

Thanks,
Shade's mom
[notify]

BK

Ambassador at- the Kitty U.N.

Purred: Mon Jan 11, '10 4:32pm PST 
I'm not sure about the smell but BK doesn't like chicken meat. He'll eat the hearts, gizzards, liver and necks but not the meat. The only way I can even get him to nibble on it is to cook it a little. (Two seconds in a non-stick pan like stir fry.) Even then he doesn't really want it. What kind of cat doesn't like chicken?!?

Are they eating other chicken part? Wings or breast?
[notify]

Shade

Purred: Mon Jan 11, '10 6:09pm PST 
Well, I guess they are like BK, not chicken lovers. They've never liked chicken breast, but they did used to eat the thighs last year. They don't want anything to do with chicken wings or drumsticks, but they do eat the gizzards, hearts (I think, we're into duck hearts at the momment), and necks. The funny thing is that they usually tear into all parts of a game hen. I guess I failed to mention that they're just small chickens!laugh out loud
[notify]

Lurch

I know I can, I- know I can!

Purred: Mon Jan 11, '10 10:06pm PST 
I've noticed that if I get nice cheap chicken quarters from the local ethnic stores, it's kind of a crap shoot whether they'll be too "aged" for the cats. Doesn't sound like you went cheap though.

Rumble went through a long period where he would eat only beef and heart. I think he didn't like the texture of chicken and a lot of pork, too mushy. Is it only the thighs they turn away from (thighs are firmer than white meat)? Rumble did reopen his taste repertoire after awhile.

Come to think of it, my dog Byron went through a long anti-chicken protest too. I just told him to suck it up. Dogs are easier. big grin
[notify]

Tanner

I'm too sexy for- my fur!

Purred: Thu Jan 14, '10 10:59pm PST 
Lurch, you aren't kidding. I always chuckle when I hear the advice for dog raw feeders just starting out. IE: Get some raw, bone in chicken. Probably quarters or half chickens for most dogs. Give to dog. Watch dog eat to ensure he doesn't get in trouble with a bone. Repeat.

With cats it's a BIT more complicated, and essentially starts with the human trying to convince the cat that the microscopic amounts of raw food mixed in with their canned food are not going to kill them. Our conversion took more than two years, and there were many times I thought we would never get there, but we finally have, and man, am I glad. Now if we can just get this bone thing worked out, I can finally relax! smile
[notify]

Lurch

I know I can, I- know I can!

Purred: Wed Jan 20, '10 9:54pm PST 
MOL Tanner - it IS just a touch more complicated. With dogs' first raw meal, you get a look of grateful, awed, amazed disbelief. With cats you get a look of pure disgust and accusal, followed by burying motions. laugh out loud

I liken dogs to perpetual 5-year-olds, and cats to perpetual 11-year-olds. 5-year-olds certainly have their stubborn moments, but they're so much more malleable. big grin
[notify]

Mo

Save Plants - Let Me Eat- Meat!!!

Purred: Wed Jan 20, '10 9:58pm PST 
I recently tried chicken thighs again - that is what I used to transition onto raw.

Most of mine didn't really care for them and they used to love them. Everything got eaten but they coulda cared less.
[notify]

Shade

Purred: Thu Jan 21, '10 4:16am PST 
Hmm, maybe once they realize that not all meat has the "slimey" feel that chicken thigh does, they decide it's no longer for them. My guys started on chicken thigh and ground turkey so that's all they knew at first; now they know better!big grin
[notify]