GO!

Hooked on Fancy Feast

This is a dedicated place for all of your questions and answers about Raw Diets. There are also some really cool groups like "Raw Fed" on the topic you can join. This forum is for people who already know they like the raw diet or sincerely want to learn more. Please remember that you are receiving advice from peers and not professionals. If you have specific health-related questions about your cat's diet, please contact your vet!

(Page 2 of 2: Viewing entries 11 to 16)  
1  2  
Rajah

Eat, eat, eat,- play, sleep

Purred: Wed Aug 15, '07 11:33am PST 
Hi Fatty:
Fancy Feast will definitely help you keep your name. LOL. I was eating Iams and was quite healthy, but I was bored with my food and so for a switch I started on Fancy Feast which I loved. Unfortunately I gained three pounds. Then in the scare months I tried the raw food diet -- raw ground chicken with the Instincts supplement. I absolutely loved it--craved it, really enjoyed it. I lost a bit of weight and ate less. My coat got shiny and I felt better. But then I started eating in my normal fatty fashion. I am now back on Iams including the fat cat dry food option and I've lost 2 pounds already. Any way, my comment is that any of these food options are good. With the raw food you must have the supplement and the Instincts went over well--my vet had concerns about ptomaine but we did not have any problems. Fancy Feast is so tasty that I eat too much and get fat on it. I recommend staying off of it. smile
[notify]

Midnight Helen

Helen of- Midnight

Purred: Wed Aug 15, '07 1:15pm PST 
Well.....I'm almost 13 years old and I have ALWAYS had just plain ol' supermarket food.....Fancy Feast dry is my favorite. I just had a checkup at the vet with blood work and I'm just as healthy as I can be. Mother thinks the high priced stuff at the vet's office is probably made by the same company as "Alley Cat" or something else just as cheap.
[notify]

Miles

Eat first, taste- later

Purred: Wed Aug 15, '07 6:55pm PST 
You know what, Helen, mom sometimes thinks the same thing. Is Iams canned REALLY that much better than Fancy Feast or Friskies? thinking When you read the labels, they all have animal by-products, wheat, and a bunch of stuff I can't pronounce. So what's the dif? I understand Wellness and EVO have real chicken and not just beak and what not, but some of these other brands...it can all get so confusing. Then when mom browses thru the Food & Nutrition forums there are people (and one is a vet tech) who think this whole raw thing is just a fad like the atkins diet. Well if it wasn't for my brother Max being such a fat cat mom would probably still be feeding us Eukenuba dry food. Now she's trying to switch us over to raw food despite what she's read on other forums.
[notify]

Nala

Purred: Thu Aug 16, '07 9:36am PST 
Oscar... the foods you mentioned are what helped us switch to raw. When mom got us she only fed us kirkland kibble. We did VERY wel on it, but mom wanted me on raw like the dogs for the same reasons... while it wasn't bad, I thrived, she new I could do even better. She kept the irkland out to give me something crunchy to chew on on make sure I had food. It took me a little while to like the wet food. But I quickly switched myself to the wet... I still much on my kibble here and there though... but much less.

My mom also would introduce some of the doggie foods... green tripe, ground meats, NV medallions. Then she started on chicken necks. Cheap and small... so if we didn't eat it no big waste. Good treats for the pups at worst. I turned my nose up a few times, and finally ate one. The whole thing.

With cats, the transition can be trickier, but definitely worth the effort. She gets so frisky after a good healthy meal. I found the "cheaper" kibble food was making her lazy... she is a pretty fit cat and I want to keep her that way before it becomes a problem.

I have met so many cats that are fat, I thought it was normal to look like that (being a non cat person until 2 years ago) I have learned alot rearing one from kittenhood (I took her mom in with the kittens and found all homes but one, I git them just as they were weaning) Kirkland was better than they were getting, and all the kittens are healthy in their new homes. I didn't feed raw to anyone back then (we are only 6 months raw), but since this kitty has wormed her way in and found her furever home, I decided it is time to get her on the raw train as well, since the pups are and are doing so excellent.

It feels so good to me to know I took this ktty from the woods and a life of a feral cat and I want to offer her the best. And she loves me for it. She has also gone from a very standoffish kitty (for a LOOooooong time) to one that comes to me for love and food. And I do attribute even that to the food.

Fancy Feast appeals to humans emotions for their animals, but not to the health of the cat...
[notify]

Langston

Love me on my- terms! Sorry- about yours!

Purred: Tue Aug 21, '07 8:16am PST 
I just read the most interesting book called "Your Cat" (with a long subtitle) by Elizabeth Hodgkins D.V.M. She runs a fancy kitty clinic in CA and has done extensive research on cat diet and the major cat diseases. She also raises those fancy Ocicats.

Anyways, she has a lot to say about how the majority of commercial cat food is all wrong for cats because of The Carbs. I am not a fan of The Carbs, but my brother Romeo is a HUGE (and getting huger) fan. There is a lot that goes into it, about liver function and digestion of carbs vs. protein, but it boils down to this --- us cats shouldn't eat more than 10% carbs. My brother will not be pleased.

This means that there are SEVERAL Fancy Feast varieties that fit the bill --- all of the ones without wheat gluten (my personal fave is the Gourmet Chicken Feast).

That said - cats need less to eat than most folks think (I'm 14lbs, and I only get about 6 ozs a DAY), and they definitely don't need dry food at all, or food to graze on throughout the day. (The tooth/tarter thing is a myth - my Moms brushes my teeth to keep 'em extra sharp and white.)

The biggest thing, I think, is to read the labels, understand what they are saying and what percentages of non-protein/fat are in there. Remember - we're not human (tho we sure act it sometimes!) and fat is our FRIEND and we need lots of it to survive and be healthy. 'Specially to help us get rid of all that fur we eat when we groom our lovely coats.

Oh - and something else.... that "meat by product" thing? Didn't anyone tell you people that the chicken necks and organs and such are the best parts? They even have nutrients and vitamins and kinds of fat that we can't get any other way!

Ta ta for now - I must go smack my brother!
[notify]

Jazz

I Live to sleep- on mom's lap

Purred: Sat Aug 25, '07 4:58am PST 
My mom thinks that some of the raw feeding diet is hype, but not a lot. I am given a cornish hen every so often, and I also eat dry kibble and Fancy Feast--mostly the chicken feast. I haven't gained any weight on FF, and don't get the diarrhea from it. I think it is just learning what I can eat, and not put out anymore after it's gone. I know I would eat FF all day if mom let me. But being 4, I have had a clean bill of health from my vet too. Mom wants to bump me over to an all-raw diet, but is concerned because my tummy is very sensitive. I don't get hairballs anymore because I am on Science Diet, but sometimes I gulp food and then throw it back up because it's still too big of a lump in my tummy. I think whatever works, works, and if it's not broken, don't try to fix it!kitty
[notify]

(Page 2 of 2: Viewing entries 11 to 16)  
1  2