GO!

How do you start raw food?

This is a dedicated place for all of your questions and answers about Raw Diets. There are also some really cool groups like "Raw Fed" on the topic you can join. This forum is for people who already know they like the raw diet or sincerely want to learn more. Please remember that you are receiving advice from peers and not professionals. If you have specific health-related questions about your cat's diet, please contact your vet!

(Page 1 of 2: Viewing entries 1 to 10)  
Page Links: 1  2  
MAGGIE- MAY(in- loving- memory)

I'm the- Princess!

Purred: Sun Jun 10, '07 4:19am PST 
Iam very interested in giving my kitties raw food for their meals. How do you start them on it? Is it safe not being cooked?
[notify]

KarmaSutra

Scratch RIGHT- here!!!

Purred: Sun Jun 10, '07 10:22am PST 
We tried to start the switch with NV medallions, but ALL us kitties hated them. The only one that would eat them was the semi-feral. After that failure we switched cold turkey(well chicken in our case) to raw bone in meats and canned single ingredient pet foods. We cut out the canned as our fav brand was involved with the American Nutrition scandal.(they had added rice protein(tainted) to the foods without the companies knowledge) Now the only canned food we get is human grade jack mackeral. Some kitties need more transition. Dry to canned to raw. There is one kitty on catster that had to start by putting just a few drops of chicken juice on her kibble for a few weeks. I'm glad we like our meat. The hardest to switch was the 9yr old. She is a recovering "kitty crack" addict. We finally got her over to ground raw, then small chunks and just yesterday she ate her first whole bone in meal.cheer The newest in the colony came with a bag of food. We were going to slowly transition him, but he had other ideas. After one day in the house he discovered what all the otheer kitties were eating and that was it. He wanted the meat. We now have a 4lb paperweight minus 1 cup. He did have some diarhea after about 2 weeks, but he got some really rich meat a few days earlier. We've had no problems. We wash hands, knives, cutting boards, and kitty plates with a vinager solution. We have seen improved coat condition, less liter box odor(used to clear a room) semi-feral is more human oriented, and 9yr old is gaining much needed weight and acts like a kitten.
Good Luck
P.S. Make sure not to starve out cats to get them to eat. Not eating can cause fatty liver disease. In the beginning you may need to still offer some dry.
[notify]

Binks

Little boy in a- cat suit

Purred: Sun Jun 10, '07 3:45pm PST 
I don't know much about a raw food diet, but I did see a big sign outside a local vet's office that said, "raw food diets can carry salmonella". Just something to watch out for and to try to prevent.
[notify]

MAGGIE- MAY(in- loving- memory)

I'm the- Princess!

Purred: Sun Jun 10, '07 3:53pm PST 
Oh noshock
[notify]

♥Boudi- n♥ ILM-

King Boudin- reigns- on...2/3/01-8/3/- 08

Purred: Sun Jun 10, '07 6:27pm PST 
We just started ours on the raw Chicken/Turkey medallions from Nature's Variety. Our Holistic Vet recommended it ,esp. for our Diabetic,Boudin. So far it has been very slow,and some days they'll eat it ,somedays not so much and will pick around it(like today!)...They are also 6 and 11 yrs old and are used to canned and dry.
I find if I mix it w/ something like Friskies(one w/ gravy) they will eat some of it,but if I try it w/ anything else,they turn their noses up!(I really don't like friskies,usually feed them merrick)
Yes, we have heard diff. opinions on raw versus cooked too,but it seems as though this is an easy way to reduce Boo's need fur insulin and it's the closest to their carnivorous nature.
[notify]

Binks

Little boy in a- cat suit

Purred: Mon Jun 11, '07 10:36am PST 
I think the vet was just alerting people to follow all safety precautions (keeping the food refrigerated, not leaving it out for a long period of time, etc.). I'm definitely not saying raw is bad, just something you have to be very careful with!
[notify]

Nya - In loving- memory

Princess- extrordinaire!

Purred: Wed Jun 13, '07 6:33am PST 
So long as you take the same safety precautions with the meat as you would with meat you'd eat yourself, it's fine. Even then, cats can handle FAR more bacteria than we can, so meat has to be pretty spoiled before it will make them ill.
[notify]

Merlin - An Angel- Forever

*Poof*

Purred: Wed Jun 13, '07 12:34pm PST 
The salmonella warning is mostly for Humans. RAW foods may contain salmonella and Humans should wash their hands after handling RAW pet food and uncooked meat in general. Our digestive systems are different from Humans and we can handle some bacteria better than Humans can.
[notify]

Hazel Lucy,- Charles- Dorney, Ma

tiny gumdrop

Purred: Wed Jun 20, '07 10:12pm PST 
I had started on Primal raw but stopped eating it. Now I have Nature's Variety and so far I really like the lamb. I never ate wet food before and mom is still mixing in some wet Merrick but she's noticing I'm mostly eating the raw. I still eat some of my all-time favorite Verus dry too. Mom monitors the litter box to determine my insulin need. If I ask for food a lot it means I need more insulin. I think we're both happy with the way the feedings are going!
[notify]

Frosty

Finally my- forever home!

Purred: Thu Jun 21, '07 6:48pm PST 
One of my cats a recent rescue just dove right in and started eating the raw food. Since he has been eating raw he gained much needed weight and muscle tone, he lost that dingy yellowish cast to his white coat now its pure white, and the diarrhea he came with is completely gone! No stink when he uses box either! I wish all my kitties were this easy but for the others I just go very slowly adding tiny amounts raw to the canned food and I also give them some cooked meats like rare roast beef they all eat that! way to go
[notify]

(Page 1 of 2: Viewing entries 1 to 10)  
Page Links: 1  2