GO!

Thinking about rescue

This is a forum for bonding with your fellow Catsters about the traits, quirks and idiosyncrasies of your favorite breed. Please remember that there are absolutely no animal sales or requests for studding or breeding allowed on our sites. All posts and interactions should be in the spirit of Catster's Community Guidelines and should be fun, friendly and informational. Enjoy!

Stormy- 2000-2009

Tall, Dark, and- Handsome.

Purred: Sun Dec 20, '09 9:58pm PST 
Alrighty, I've kinda been doing research to see how well ragdoll will fit, and even though I plan on getting two cats, one ragdoll another will be Domestic Long hair. Since ragdoll generally like company and my next two cats should like other cats at least since I hope to foster further into the future after they have settled in for some time. I know there are two rescues close by one in Danville, KY and the other is out in Chatnooga, TN which has more purebreed ragdolls than Danville's Hal's Haven. I live in Louisville and even though I might get a Ragdoll from a local shelter. Its good to have rescue in mind encase, since ragdolls go like hotcakes in Louisville for most part.
[notify]

Stormy- 2000-2009

Purred: Sun Dec 20, '09 10:00pm PST 
Oh my question is what kinda things do I need to be careful of with a ragdoll. I mean I don't want my cat outside with out some sort of supervision or enclosure so they will be indoor, and probably be a condo. I heard since they are bigger cats, sturdier cat condo's are necessary. I'm sure large cat box be on that list too.
[notify]

Paul Hewson- of- ExaltedCat

Z Paulie Kitteh

Purred: Fri Feb 5, '10 11:35pm PST 
Sounds like you've done some good research about us wonderful Ragdolls. We are certainly worth the effort! I not only like a sturdy scratchy post but also a pretty tall one with sisal rope, so I can stretch and scratch, and several perches on which I may snooze. Variety is the spice of my life so I sleep in a hammock, on a rug next to my dogs, sometimes on the loveseat next to my humans...pretty much wherever looks comfy at the moment. As you've already discovered, we generally enjoy companionship of any kind and I would curl up with the other kitties that live with me but they're both grumpy. I'm a travelin' cat and, depsite my size, I actually use a really small litter box and would suggest not immediately going for a super-sized one unless you notice "overhanging" or you just happen to have room for one since it's harder to downsize later if needed. I have a harness that I wear and I enjoy walking in areas where there aren't loose critters. My people use a retractable leash which is so cool because I can race up a tree a few feet when the mood strikes me. I also enjoy going out into my fenced area but my people won't let me go out by myself because they tell me I have no camouflage and there are apparently some pretty big birds that might take notice. We have a good bit of soft fur and, to keep it looking and feeling its best, we do routinely shed some of that and need more assistance grooming than our shorter-haired cousins. I really enjoy getting groomed with a steel tooth comb deep enough to gently scratch my skin and am really fond of a good finger-scrub, though I'm sure that's an individual preference and some may prefer a softer approach.

It's really great that you're considering adopting a Ragdoll in need but there a few things that I think you should be aware of. Unfortunately, many of the purebreds that end up in shelters are the result of irreputable breeders who are content to sacrifice the health and well-being of some of the kittens produced in order to achieve a particular trait. Therefore, you may find these kitties have some hidden diseases, such as HCM or PKD so please realize there may be the financial consideration of vet care should those or any other disease not easily screened, like FIP, be present. My people adopted a Ragdoll before I came along and, from what I understand, he had PKD which caused him to urinate in odd places in an attempt to let them know something was wrong so that might need to be addressed with some behavior modification. There is an inexpensive genetic test available though CatGenes that checks for the known genetic mutations associated with these diseases, though many caution against relying on the test completely as there may be yet undiscovered mutations. That said, hese innocent cats still deserve good homes and have lots of love to give so I wouldn't discourage adoption but just wanted to make sure you were aware of some potential developments. We're actually a pretty hardy breed and a relatively low-maintenance cat that should provide you with much love and laughter. Best of luck to you in your search for your purrfect puppy-cat (which, by the way, isn't just a a phrase associated with our devotion to our human companions, as the breed profile on here suggests, but also because our behavior is more dog-like than most felines). There's nothing else I can think of to say about us Ragdolls but if you have any questions, I'll be happy to help if I can.
[notify]

Stormy- 2000-2009

Purred: Sun Feb 21, '10 8:00pm PST 
Yes I have realized that adopting a pure breed or one with mix is opening up issues that generally come from bad breeders. I've talked with many good breeders and honestly I can't see a good healthy Ragdoll ending up in a shelter unless its one in a million chance. So I will accept the fact that my cat may not be wise decision for my pocket book.
[notify]