GO!

Human Relations--HowYour People Talk

(Page 4 of 29: Viewing entries 31 to 40)  
[First 10 entry] Page Links:  1  2  3  4  5  6  7  8  9  [Last 10 entry]  
Gomer

Commando Kitty

Purred: Sat Jun 11, '05 10:13pm PST 
Hi Jacques,
I definitely agree, cat-speak is more about emotions than anything else. We can tell how our humans feel and what they're thinking about based on their voicetone, body language, and smell, right? Like if Mom's upset, I know about it and am INSTANTLY by her side, or really, on her shoulder, rubbing my face in her hair.

I think the humans are pretty good ... let's keep 'em around. smile
[notify]

Selket

Fiend #1.

Purred: Sun Jun 12, '05 4:00am PST 
Good Morning, All.
Thank you, Jacques, for minding the store!

After reviewing our discussion, ahem, it appears that so far we are batting about two theories. One, which I blindly threw out to start, is that we can actually "understand" human-speak. The second, which seems to have the majority support, is that our senses are superior and, most probably, almost totally different than humans'. How about the idea that these theories are not exclusive, but overlapping -- yes, we do things from observation and repetition (good ol' Pavlov's dog); and we also deal with situations on our superior level, which Athena described as perhaps a fifth dimension which, if experienced by humans would be overwhelming, "like a blind person seeing for the first time." (Oh my, I love that phrase!)
I would like to toss out something else that has always intrigued me: coming upon a human who is unknown to you -- how do we know immediately that we are okay to roll over for tummy rubs from this person, or to flee for our lives?
[notify]

Jacques

Fiend #2.

Purred: Sun Jun 12, '05 4:39am PST 
Excuse me. *raising paw for permission to speak*

Selket, would you get out from behind the podium -- this site is not a lecture hall.
[notify]

Gomer

Commando Kitty

Purred: Mon Jun 13, '05 3:16am PST 
Selket, I agree .. the two lines of thought surely do overlap somewhere. I for one, know lots of human "words" and sounds, and respond to them.

BUT I'm also a great "emotional radar dish." Mom trusts my judgement of humans better than she trusts her own. I'm fairly good with new humans ... I'm not shy like Topaz, anyway, so don't hide under the bed when they come into the house. I come out the check the person out, and have one of three reactions ... 1) rub against their legs like they're a long-lost friend, 2) ignore them completely, or 3) attack them like I mean it after a 2-5 minute evaluation period. Mom actually asket a potential boyfriend to leave after I took a serious disliking to him. Turned out later (we heard from someone else) that he was a dog/cat-kicker ... and I knew when Mom didn't.

Cats just KNOW, you know? Mom went over to someone's house a few months ago, and the human went to make tea and came back to find Mom stroking a beautiful Siamese. The human was so shocked that he dropped the teacups on the floor. Apparently, he'd had the cat for 6 years, and none of his friends even believed he HAD a cat ... since the poor, shy guy ran and hid upstairs in the bedroom. But he heard the tone of Mom's voice from up there and felt safe enough to come down and ask for attention. Funny, huh?
[notify]

Selket

Fiend #1.

Purred: Mon Jun 13, '05 4:49am PST 
Wow, Gomer! Two Amazing Examples!
Our cat mother had two instances that stand out for her, too. One was like "tea & Siamese" (wasn't that a movie?), when she was looking at a house and bent down to pet a Persian. There was a little noise behind her, and the homeowner gasped she was about to say don't touch the cat -- he scratches strangers. Well, I guess no one told the cat, because he got petted and followed them around.
Another very strange instance was with Vijay at the vet. He was sitting on the corner of the counter waiting to be checked out, and there was a lady with 2 whippets on leash hanging back. The cat mother told her to go ahead, that we weren't ready yet. The dogs were staring at Vijay and the lady was looking very scared. When the cat mother paid and turned around, Vijay was touching noses with one of the dogs. The lady whispered, "she's never been that close to a cat before!" The cat mother says it was quite funny, but that lady will probably never get over it. Vijay was very astute and like you, "knew." Once Vijay and I also got in position to guard the cat mother when a man seemed angry.
I imagine we all have similar stories. Examples of the range of our senses that Athena pointed out. (Cool!)
[notify]

Athena (In- Memory)

Purrs and Love- to Mom and- Toulouse

Purred: Thu Jun 16, '05 7:01pm PST 
Going back to Gomer's June 11 posting: mentioning "smell". There was a theory quite a while back on the question of why is it that animals seem to attack humans that are afraid of them. The answer was that humans give off a specific scent when they are scared and this scent agitates animals so much that they attack the source. Some humans have smelled this scent and they said it is a sweet-sickly smell. Perhaps people give off different scents for different emotions that we can automatically pick up on.

Selket

Fiend #1.

Purred: Thu Jun 16, '05 8:07pm PST 
*slapping head* Of course, Athena! I totally missed that one! That answers the eternal human question, "I'm afraid of cats but they always jump on my lap right away!" Makes us a bit perverse, doesn't it. Ha.
[notify]

Athena (In- Memory)

Purred: Thu Jun 16, '05 10:34pm PST 
I like "malicious" myself.
A story about Mom's long time ago kitty, Scamp: Mom's mom invited her boss over to the house. He was uncomfortable around cats. With most visitors Scamp would just make himself scarce, but not with this one. At first, Scamp would just walk past; then a few minutes later he would walk past again. A few minutes later he rubbed against the bosses' leg. Scamp NEVER did that! The boss was getting more uncomfortable, so Mom shooed Scamp out of the room. Then Mom and her mom left the room to get the boss some refreshments and when they came back Scamp was sitting on the floor in front of the boss, staring at him. Just staring. Well, you know, no one, not even a cat person, can outstare a cat! The poor boss was sweating by now, so Mom closed Scamp in the bedroom. Hehehe!

Jacques

Fiend #2.

Purred: Fri Jun 17, '05 3:49am PST 
WE laughed and squiggled so hard at The Boss story WE fell off the cat mother's lap and almost tipped her chair!

Our cat mother told us a good one, too, come to think about it. When she was married in the old days, Big Companies did this "check-out-your-wife-and-home" type interview. She got everything all beautiful, and it was a hot night so she left the top of the Dutch door open. The folks were being oh so proper (for hippies) and things were moving along nicely, until their two cats came flying at top speed over the top of the door, right through the conversation group and back out again... The look on that guy's face--like he stepped in elephant poop! Well, the husband didn't want the job much anyway.
Yeah, "malicious."
[notify]

Athena (In- Memory)

Purred: Fri Jun 17, '05 7:49pm PST 
He, he, he, he !
I like that one! The first cat agility course (like dog agility). Or maybe horse grand prix jumping! Hehehehehe, purrrrrrrrr . . . . oops! Now I've got hiccups!

(Page 4 of 29: Viewing entries 31 to 40)  
[First 10 entry] Page Links:  1  2  3  4  5  6  7  8  9  [Last 10 entry]