GO!

Danger

Jelence

Purred: Tue Sep 20, '11 1:31am PST 
Hi everyone!I'm worried.I heard that cats(or something from cats)is dangerous for females.I'v got a cat so I want to know if I'm in danger. Does anyone know what's causing the problem and what IS the problem? P.S I'm a girl.

Edited by author Tue Sep 20, '11 1:32am PST

[notify]

Emma Barrett

It\'s good to be- the Queen

Purred: Tue Sep 20, '11 9:31am PST 
The only thing I have ever heard of is if a human female is pregnant, she should not change the cat litter, as it contains an element that can cause harm to the unborn baby. I know other CATSTER members can give you the correct terminology.

Other than that, the only danger any human female might encounter from cats is having their lives taken over by them....MOL...MOL.

The New Orleans Kitties
[notify]

Pandora

go getter kitter

Purred: Tue Sep 20, '11 10:19am PST 
That would be toxoplasmosis, Emma. It's present in cat feces and can cause problems for an unborn bay, if the mother manages to ingest it. It doesn't harm other humans, however.
[notify]

Charmaine- Neville

Hey Dawlin!!!!

Purred: Tue Sep 20, '11 11:04am PST 
Thanks Pan.....I could not remember the name of the "thing" and the details. But to the original poster, a friend of ours who posts in the forum "Fake Cats" has two cats, and now a baby, and she did fine. Think she pretty much takes care of the litter boxes, as she is at home and her husband works.

Hope this helps.....

The New Orleans Kitties
[notify]

Jelence

Purred: Wed Sep 21, '11 3:00am PST 
Thank you for the answers.You helped a lot.
[notify]

Charmaine- Neville

Hey Dawlin!!!!

Purred: Wed Sep 21, '11 7:11am PST 
You're most welcome. We have found the CATSTER community to be very, very helpful with questions concerning all sorts of health concerns affecting cats and how it might affect their humans.

The New Orleans Kitties
[notify]

Tink the Cat

Never met a- mouse I didn\'t- bat!

Purred: Thu Sep 22, '11 9:54am PST 
I agree that it's toxoplasmosis - this is the biggest warning still given when someone gets a cat. A pregnant female must use gloves if she has to change the litter, or get someone else to do it.
I still hear this very general warning a great deal.
[notify]