GO!

What am I?

(Page 1 of 2: Viewing entries 1 to 10)  
Page Links: 1  2  
Mali

Purred: Wed Dec 29, '10 7:30pm PST 
I was bought from a petstore as a kitten. They said I was a siamese. I cost more than the other kittens since I was a "purebreed" and this is why I was the only kitten left during the kitty sale. As a kitten I was mostly white and only my darkest black spots that I have now were present then. I had no cream color in my coat at all. By the time I was about a year old, I had the coat color I have now. Several vets have told me I was unusual and they had not seen a cat quite like me. I am extremely affectionate, I LOVE lots of attention and I'm very attached to my owner. Besides being the most adorable kitty ever, can you help me figure out what I am? Someone told me I might be a snowshoe.
[notify]

Miss Tiny- Burr Burr

Love and adore.

Purred: Wed Dec 29, '10 8:23pm PST 
i hate to say it, but i do not think you are a siamses. siamses do not have white. your coat color is called a tortie-point, and because you have white you are a bi-color.

probibly a siamse mix at best. eaither way, very cute!
[notify]

kaya skye

not fighting my- demons-we joined- forces

Purred: Thu Dec 30, '10 2:09am PST 
um...Mali's momma? I just went to Mali's page, and I think you put your birthday in instead of Mali's...either that or Mali really IS 34? shock if so...what's your secret?wink (beautiful cat, btw...very, very striking. those eyes are ringing a bell...i'll get back to you?)
[notify]

kaya skye

Purred: Thu Dec 30, '10 2:15am PST 
Where are you from, Mali? The Ojos Azules is a newly recognized breed, deep blue eyes in non-Siamese cats-seems to have arisen in feral cat populations in New Mexico. Or was noticed there? Anyway, google Ojos Azules and see if that rings any bells...it's at least interesting.
[notify]

Lola

Proud mother of- the Fab Four!

Purred: Thu Dec 30, '10 2:35am PST 
My guess is that you are a Siamese or Ragdoll mix. With only one picture to go by, it's hard to tell. Snowshoe (mix) is also a possibility, but Siamese and Ragdolls are more common than Snowshoes (at least in Japan). You don't look like a purebred to me, rather a second-generation mix. You are a colorpoint cat (as Siamese and Ragdolls are), and blue eyes are standard for colorpoints, or at least for Siamese and Ragdolls and their mixes. Being a colorpoint cat would also account for why you got darker as you got older. Being a Siamese or Ragdoll would account for the blue eyes; I don't think there's a necessity to consider the Ojos Azules breed.
[notify]

kaya skye

Purred: Thu Dec 30, '10 10:46am PST 
of course it's not NECESSARY. it's just INTERESTING. plus i just like to say it: Ojos Azules!big grin
[notify]

Mali

Purred: Thu Dec 30, '10 5:14pm PST 
Mali was bought from a petsotre in southern Idaho. The guy at the petstore said she and her sister were just brought in that day and the breeders claimed they were siamese. My guess is there were some kittens in the litter that clearly didn't look like purebred siamese and the breeders wanted to get rid of the "evidnece" before they tried to sell the others as purebred. But I do agree, her eye are a striking deep-blue like the ojo azules.
[notify]

Lola

Proud mother of- the Fab Four!

Purred: Thu Dec 30, '10 5:39pm PST 
No, a Siamese mated to a Siamese will breed true. What you have is a mix of some kind--probably a Siamese mix. There is a possibility, as you speculate, that some of the kittens turned out looking more like real Siamese, and were sold as such. Siamese or Ragdoll heritage would be, statistically speaking, the most likely scenario. The vividness of the blue eye color can vary from cat to cat, or more specifically, from coloration (there are different color classes for both breeds) to coloration. Colorpoint cats get blue eyes. Colorpoint cats are common. Speculating about Ojos Azules heritage is fun, but you will still get back to the fact that you are some kind of mix between a colorpoint cat and a moggy.
[notify]

BooBoo

headed for the- light.

Purred: Mon Jan 10, '11 5:59am PST 
I belive Mali's mother was a calico or a tortie with white markings and the dad was or at least looked Siamese; that's the only way I can think to account for the color if either parent was a pointed cat. If Dad was red or black then Mom would have to be carrying the calico/tortie gene-I think my first guess is more likely.
Either way, the 'breeder' obviously lied to the pet shop owner. But no matter, Mali is one cool looking kitty! i haven't seen one just like her, but have seen some really neat markings when a Siamese-looking cat mates with a 'regular colored' one with strong patterns.

Edited by author Mon Jan 10, '11 6:03am PST

[notify]

Currier

Always by my- side...

Purred: Mon Jan 10, '11 11:43am PST 
Well, it's more likely that you have Siamese in you than any other colorpoint cat, like a Ragdoll. I'm guessing this because Siamese are so common and you aren't big or fluffy. Siamese aren't white, but one of your parents obviously had the white factor (which I don't quite understand), which accounts for your white areas. You have blue eyes because of your (assumed) Siamese heritage and because cats with a lot of white are more likely to have blue eyes (think of black and white or calico Japanese Bobtails--they are mostly white with a bit of color). The black spots come from some moggy ancestor, I would guess. I'm not sure if the reddish area next to your right eye is related to the black spots, making you a calico of sorts, or coloration related to your Siamese ancestry. If you were a calico, the color would be red, not fawn (red's diluted cousin). There is no calico gene as such; it's just that female cats can have both red and black coloration at the same time. So, I'm not sure about the calico thing. My breeder's queen was a calico, and invariably produced bicolors, tabby and whites, and tortie and whites; because the stud was a brown tabb with no white, she never produced a calico (not enough white factor going around). My tortie and white girls, also mated to a brown tabby, produce cats with less white: pure tabbies without white, torties without white, and both color patterns with white. But no calicos. The fact that your moggy coloration areas and your Siamese coloration are so distinct--rather than being mixed in--is interesting, but I'm not sure what it means. Think I'll ask someone who knows more about cat color genetics than I do. Oh, and as for Ojos Azules, the very thoughtful site Pictures of Cats talks about them briefly as a very rare breed (read the article yourself; also the section on rare breeds), http://www.pictures-of-cats.org/Ojos-azules-cat.html. There's a good chance that there are more blue-eyed moggies (even black) than is generally suspected (see The Messy Beast), but the phenomenon has not been studied much and isn't well understood. The colorpoint cat ancestry combined with the white factor allow you to have blue eyes, is my guess.
[notify]

(Page 1 of 2: Viewing entries 1 to 10)  
Page Links: 1  2