GO!

Going from eyes to noses......

Tambolina

No...the magic- is still- here...!!!

Purred: Thu Jun 17, '10 9:23am PST 
People and pussycats.....NOSES....!!! Any idea WHY people like cats with squashed-in noses? (Persian).....sort-of squashed-in noses (British Shorthair, like Tambi and Colin)....or L-O-N-G noses (like Main Coons and Siamese etc)?

I do not like the squashed-in nose type of cat, definitely,......but Tambi and Colin only just miss out on that.......!!!!

Does it matter?
[notify]

Tambolina

Purred: Thu Jun 17, '10 9:29am PST 
ps...Have to tell you that some (lots of) years ago the breeders of British Shorthairs brought Persian into the breeding stock of British Shorthairs.......to invigorate the stock......AND that is why Tambi has LONG HAIR........
[notify]

Delyte, Dark- Angel, at- Bridge

Me and my- person, together- against all

Purred: Fri Jun 18, '10 1:47pm PST 
This is Delyte and his person. Our person hates the squashed nose kitties--she thinks it is cruel to breed cats with faces like that where they can hardly breathe, and it doesn't do anything to improve the looks of long-haired cats. She used to like the long hairs 40-50 years ago when she was a kid and they had normal noses.

On the other hand, they have bred some of the oriental breeds to have such big prominent noses. Their skulls are so small that they look all nose. She is not sure why they rebred those breeds to be so incredibly skinny and have big noses? She talked to a breeder at the local cat show who said that she had to keep her Devon Rexes on a strict diet when they were on the show circuit, so they would be thin enough to be considered good examples of the breed. After they leave the circuit, and when they are breeding kittens, they are allowed to eat as much as they want. She had two there who were not being shown, and they were almost fat. They were not pregnant or nursing, but they were sort of barrels on those tiny bones. But they looked happy, whereas the ones being showed were crying all the time.

Our person has never had a purebred cat. One of her first cats, Sarah, was small and fineboned and was considered to have some oriental cat in her, although she was all black. And now she has Fluff, who is so huge that he might have Maine Coon in him, although he didn't get the fluffy fur. Plus Stella whose father is at least half Angora, although he does not have the flat nose either.

She does like all of our noses, but she thinks my profile is the nicest! [See my picture.] I have kind of a snub nose for a male cat, but it's a cute shape and not at all malformed.

Purrs to all!
[notify]

jadyn liana- macavity-bla- ck

god heard, god- answered, the- mystery cat

Purred: Sat Jun 19, '10 10:39am PST 
i am six pounds and one ounce, and it looks like that's as big as i'm gonna get. i have a very long nose-on a whim mom measured, and i'm the first cat she's ever had that has more length nose to back of head than width side to side. she thinks i might be a mutant, or possibly part porpoise...or maybe somewhere in our pedigree of feral felinity is some oriental heritage, because i am truly sleek and slender. mom says i have racehorse lines, and actually dreamed she had me entered in the CaTRaces. that was what the sign said. mom needs better meds...

(mom's note: i have jadyn listed as dsh/siamese b/c her momcat (like her) has aqua eyes, but momcat's were crossed, and she had a kink in her tail, and she and ALL her kittens are SO vocal, especially for ferals...and yes, they were definitely feral, not strays. and yet...talkers, all.)
[notify]

Tambolina

Purred: Mon Jun 21, '10 4:45am PST 
Do you think it might be a sexual thing...a large nose equals a large 'thingy'.......?

I think, probably, my love of short, almost-squat, noses on cats is to do with the look of a baby human.....

But I don't care whether it is or not.....I just love cats......any shape, any size and any nose-length.....

Jan

cheer
[notify]

Tambolina

Purred: Mon Jun 21, '10 4:52am PST 
We had my step-son's two Persian cats living with us for almost a year (while he was going through his divorce) and, although I thought them REALLY ugly, I grew to love them......they were were little, loving, lovable creatures.....ugly? yes.....beautiful? yes.......

ps....Grandad Conrad HATED them (although he never met them....they came out of their room when he was shut in his)......

Jan
[notify]

Tambolina

Purred: Mon Jun 21, '10 5:01am PST 
Delyte.....you have a BEAUTIFUL nose.....not too long, not too short.....Grandad Conrad had a nose like that.....

Jadyn.....yes, I think you must be oriental....and so beautiful and long in the body....I especially like the piccies of you looking a bit freaked out......

Jan
[notify]