GO!

Are (some) cats synonymous with birds of prey?

(Page 2 of 4: Viewing entries 11 to 20)  
1  2  3  4  
Tambolina

No...the magic- is still- here...!!!

Purred: Fri Jun 11, '10 9:37am PST 
'Look into the Medusa's eyes and you might (perhaps) see the truth......?
[notify]

kaya skye

not fighting my- demons-we joined- forces

Purred: Fri Jun 11, '10 1:57pm PST 
are you speaking of the medusa as in the adult form of jellyfish, or the medusa spider of "lost" fame-which is an apocryphal spider that sprang from the imagination of the show's writers. in neither case, for different reasons, would i suggest looking into their eyes. adult jellyfish don't exactly have them and the medusa spider is imaginary. and if you're talking about the mythological medusa, i thought perseus did for her a long time ago...
[notify]

BooBoo

headed for the- light.

Purred: Fri Jun 11, '10 4:15pm PST 
I think Jan is referring to the serpent-haired Gorgon of Greek myth, whose gaze could turn a man to stone, and for whom the other two are named.
[notify]

kaya skye

Purred: Fri Jun 11, '10 11:48pm PST 
well, for one thing, it is not advisable to look into medusa's face...no truth is on offer, only the chance to become a stone statue of yourself and be pooped on by pigeons-continuing the bird theme.
also, like i said, perseus killed her. honest. she's D-E-A-D.
personally i'll look at the jellyfish. they're pretty.big grin
[notify]

Tambolina

Purred: Sat Jun 12, '10 8:36am PST 
'Medusa has sometimes appeared as representing notions of scientific determinism and nihilism, especially in contrast with romantic idealism, thus attempts to avoid looking into her eyes represent avoiding the ostensibly depressing reality (or truth) that the Universe is meaningless....'

BUT if there is no meaning, then how can there be truth? Unless meaning and truth are very different.......
[notify]

kaya skye

Purred: Sun Jun 13, '10 8:25am PST 
the nihilists are saying the truth is that there is no meaning. yes, truth and meaning are different things. medusa/medussa/medousa literally translates from the Greek as "Guardian", though...in case anyone cares. and still...no relevance to birds, of prey or otherwise.

Edited by author Sun Jun 13, '10 8:26am PST

[notify]

Harvey

Has been COTD!

Purred: Sun Jun 13, '10 2:40pm PST 
Cats hunt birds. If lucky, they catch them. If hungry, they eat them (or part(s) of them). But birds also eat cats. I'm sure that the big raptors can and do catch and eat cats, but as we know from Spike's story, the big, nasty jungle crows of Tokyo (Corvus macrorhynchos) like to snack on kittens, and I suspect they will go for adult cats as well. I myself have been the victim of a crow attack. I walked under a tree that had a crow's nest, and Momcrow swooped down and gave me a nasty slash on my scalp. Even more unlucky people get attacked while riding bicycles and crash, sometimes leading to serious injuries. The present governor of Tokyo, who may or may not be the Antichrist, pledged a war against crows in 2001. At one time, their numbers diminished, but they are smart buggers, and have figured out how to avoid traps and such. I think if you had a panel discussion amongst raptors, cats, and crows, they would all deny any relationship to each other, aside from the fact that they all eat MEAT. Living or dead.
[notify]

Harvey

Has been COTD!

Purred: Sun Jun 13, '10 2:57pm PST 
Tambolina--Are you possibly quoting from "The Laugh of the Medusa" (Helene Cixous)? I could never really understand that essay.

Kaya Skye--Perseus killed Medusa and she's D-E-A-D. On 48 Hours Mystery (which I obsessively watch via the Internet every day), all the programs are set in states where "dead" is pronounced as if it has three syllables. Day-ye-ed. Yeah.

Recently, when I wake up and take that first morning look at myself in the mirror, my curly hair is popping up on top of my head in nasty coils, and I really look like a Gorgon. Just looking at my image makes me want to turn to stone.
[notify]

Tambolina

Purred: Mon Jun 14, '10 5:15am PST 
Harvey, Kaya Skye....so much here....so much that HURTS me....so much to say.....and so much desire to just 'drop it' and go on to something funny and light.......

Helene Cixous (and Luce Irigaray)...how I see what they are saying...... they are (more Cixous) talking about'the PERSON with no name'(I have always loved the 'Man with no name')......

Oh Pussycats.....when I worked out that we (women) were 'in the dark', when I went to Wells Cathedral, I blew out all the candles, as a protest....3 months later I had a 'nervous breakdown'.....(I was in the dark)....

So much pain, but so much excitement and a little bit of understanding as well.....

Confusion.....so much confusion.....and yes....where I am now is somewhere enveloped in 'romantic idealism'....(Have I copped out?).....I look into Tambi's eyes and what I feel (for a little while) is peace and rest......

So much more to say....so little ability (going senile...sorry)

Jan
[notify]

Tambolina

Purred: Mon Jun 14, '10 5:36am PST 
ps.....it is NOT AN EXCUSE.....I truly am going ga-ga.....

Jan
[notify]

(Page 2 of 4: Viewing entries 11 to 20)  
1  2  3  4