GO!

I scratched daddy

Biscuit

Cute is my milde- name!

Purred: Thu May 6, '10 1:55pm PST 
cry the other day i accidently scratched daddy. 1 of my other humans gave me a little talking to and i understood i was wrong and stopped scratching him
[notify]

Chibi

Proud mother of- the Gang of- Four!

Purred: Fri May 7, '10 4:04am PST 
Watch Daddy's scratches for signs of infection. I don't want to sound like an alarmist, but I have had two IV's and a week-long dose of a very strong antibiotic to treat scratches and bites I got when trying to groom my cats three weeks ago. IF the wounds turn red, and especially if pus develops, do go the ER. ASAP. Kitty claws play around in their feces, and cat bites and severe scratches are recognized by medical professi0nals as being dangerous. If Daddy has had heart surgery or a joint replacement, don't even wait to see if the wound becomes red or develops pus. I have had hip replacements, my father had an artificial mitral valve in his heart, and those bacteria can stay around in your system for a long time. Like five or more years. This is what my orthopedist told me three weeks ago, and it's been driving me crazy since. But I respect his opinion, and always--better safe than sorry. Good luck. Purrs.
[notify]

Biscuit

Cute is my milde- name!

Purred: Sat May 8, '10 7:58pm PST 
one of my other humans looked at the scratches they aren't that bad but they are long
[notify]

Bumpurr

RESPECT The- Star!

Purred: Mon May 10, '10 5:02pm PST 
So Biscut......... why did you scratch daddy? What did he do to you? big grinbig grinbig grinbig grinbig grinbig grinbig grinbig grinbig grinbig grinbig grinbig grin
[notify]

kaya skye

not fighting my- demons-we joined- forces

Purred: Wed May 12, '10 5:32pm PST 
also, cat scratch disease (CAT SCRATCH FEVER!!!) is not just a horrible musical flashback to the era of disco-it's bartellonosis, and can be serious-and is always draining and painful. cats don't have to be sick, feral or dirty to carry bartellonosis-it's more common in kittens and young cats, but other than that...
[notify]

Chibi

Proud mother of- the Gang of- Four!

Purred: Thu May 13, '10 8:06pm PST 
I mean to post another thread on this topic, but my cat bites, while obviously having responded to treatment (me being me, I've made sure of that), still have residual pain that the cosmetic surgeon (oddly, not the orthopedist) told me was evidence that the infections are HEALING--pain equals gain as long as there is not pus involved, it would seem. Put it another way: any infection that requires several weeks of oral antibiotics and two IVs in order to stabilize--that's not benign, and requires vigilance. Scratches are different from bites, and while they involve some of the same bacteria, bites are puncture wounds, and thus worse. Scratches, if deep, extensive, or pustulant, should receive timely medical attention, especially if the scratched/bitten subject is young, old, has a compromised immune system, or has had some kind of invasive surgery that can harbor infection. Purrs!
[notify]