GO!

Does cat fur color get lighter from sun?

(Page 1 of 2: Viewing entries 1 to 10)  
Page Links: 1  2  
Toki

copy cat cappy- cot

Purred: Mon Mar 8, '10 12:29pm PST 
Does cat fur color get lighter from being in the sun? My cat is an indoor cat, but I was wondering if laying in strong sunlight will make his fur color get lighter? I like it the way it is, but of course I will still let him lay in the sun because he loves it. I was curious, however, because human hair gets lighter from the sun.
[notify]

BooBoo

headed for the- light.

Purred: Mon Mar 8, '10 1:12pm PST 
Interesting question--I know horses, cows, and dogs can "bleach"--look at a pasture full of black cows in the winter. Go back by in late summer, and they will all be rusty, sunburnt brown!
[notify]

Harvey

Has been COTD!

Purred: Tue Mar 9, '10 10:00pm PST 
Okay, I'm just guessing here. Toki lives indoors, and I assume he's only getting sunshine through windows. Do humans get suntans throug windows? As far as I know, no. Japanese breeders are required to let their cats access to sunshine--through a window. I've never heard of any breeder saying that this could lead to a change in color. Since Toki is a purebred, you might want to ask your own breeder about this. What I can say, however, is that my totally generic black moggy Boku suffered from diluted color in his latter years--he lived to be 18. It wasn't brown, but it was simply dull-looking. One reason was that his sister Kitty usually groomed him, but after she died at age 15, he really didn't know how to groom himself on his own. If I knew then what I know now, I would have given him an occasional bath. He was a shorthaired cat, but his fur was a bit on the long side, and when he got old, he really couldn't manage it. Abyssians should be easy to groom in their latter years--pet wipes, whatever (consult your groomer about this). And, to get totally OT, my mother had dark brown hair, and although she died at 80, she had some grey hair, but basically her hair color just faded. I think that age rather than sun exposure can change a cat's color. Toki is still young, and about to be retired from the show circuit, so I would say don't worry. And, by the way, he is a gorgeous cat.
[notify]

Toki

copy cat cappy- cot

Purred: Wed Mar 10, '10 5:06pm PST 
thanks! for the compliment and the info. I guess I will post something if I notice any changes- smile
[notify]

Delyte, Dark- Angel, at- Bridge

Me and my- person, together- against all

Purred: Wed Mar 10, '10 6:43pm PST 
This is Delyte. There is a very very tiny amount of UV light that goes through windows, probably not enough to bleach anything. Furniture fabric does fade over the years, though, but people's hair and cats' fur should not be affected.

That said, lots of cats seem to lose their sharp colors from youth to old age. I was never the blackest of black cats, but over the years I have gotten rusty colored and am not really black any more. There were some other black cats complaining about this recently.
[notify]

Spike

Tubby tabby- love!

Purred: Thu Mar 11, '10 8:51pm PST 
One thing I know about my great late Boku was that he couldn't groom himself well once Kitty passed (three years before he did), and once he just got old and sort of senile. Kidney and liver problems may have contributed to the lack of sheen in his fur, but I suspect it was mostly old age. As I I wrote earlier, he may have benefited from the occasional bath, but with an older guy like him, stress is iffy. Nothing like baths to get rid of excess fur, though. It wouldn't have changed his color, but may have improved the sheen. Certainly it would have gotten rid of dead fur that he couldn't. Yes, I brushed and combed him regularly, and if I saved all the fur I got from him, I could have stuffed several cushions. He had a much denser undercoat than my Maine Coons (he was a moggy, but had rather long fur.)
[notify]

Miss Tiny- Burr Burr

Love and adore.

Purred: Fri Mar 12, '10 11:27am PST 
toki

first off, you are SO neat looking! rarly do we see real purebreds.

i know black cats get "brown" in the sun. i havent really noticed any other coats that do get lighter.

Is toki your first Aby? what are they like at home? i think they are so pretty but i am afraid of getting a purebred because of a bad experince with a bengal cat i got (mine hated it!)
[notify]

Harvey

Has been COTD!

Purred: Fri Mar 12, '10 5:01pm PST 
From my observation at cat shows, Abyssinians tend to be a bit nervous and vocal, but Abyssinian owners LOOOVE their cats. Let's hear what Toki has to say about this.
[notify]

Miss Tiny- Burr Burr

Love and adore.

Purred: Fri Mar 12, '10 5:29pm PST 
teen says that if i get another cat, shes gunna crap on my bed daily. laugh out loud

but really, i want a purebred so bad. but i have 3 cats allready in an apartment, plus fosters. after the bengal incident im being super careful about what breed i get.

anyways, back on topic

has anyone ever had a cat change colors in the sun? my black foster cat gets rusty brown, but other then that, nothing.
[notify]

Toki

copy cat cappy- cot

Purred: Fri Mar 12, '10 6:08pm PST 
Yes, Toki is my first aby, and gosh do I love him. I have big cartoon hearts in my eyes when I think about him. He is so smart and full of spunk. You should read the diary entries I have for him to see his personality and antics. Abys are super energetic and acrobatic. He gets EVERYWHERE. Expect to find them in the highest spot in the room. I got Toki when he was 8 months old, so I missed all of his young kitten time, but he still plays like a kitten. He jumps so much higher and farther than any cat I've ever had, which is why I named him Toki, which means rabbit in Korean (I'm Korean). It was very funny the first time I gave him catnip, cause he ran around like a tornado, ran into 3 walls, and found a way to jump onto this 6ft high bookcase from a windowsill. That became his new lookout spot. When I first gave him rattling mice, he would fetch them and bring them back when I threw them. I think he got bored of fetching, so he doesn't do it as much now. He loves to play, play all day long. I would say that unless he is sleeping, or sunning, he is always moving. Abys are not good for people who like a lapcat that will lay next to them all the time. Toki is extremely friendly with people, but he would much rather play than lay around. If he is bored or wants to wake me up, he likes to knock things off shelves. He is really affectionate with me, but he won't lay with people he doesn't know well. He does come out and investigate anything new though, and is brave and fearless. He is the first person to greet guests, the electrician, delivery guys, everyone. Toki figured out how to open the toaster oven, so if anything he likes is in there, he will take it. Last night he stole a beef dumpling cause we are visiting my parents home and my mom left them inside the oven. I would say you should get an aby if you like to play with your cats a lot, because they like interaction, and get bored easily. Thanks for asking about him, I could talk about him all day party
[notify]

(Page 1 of 2: Viewing entries 1 to 10)  
Page Links: 1  2