GO!

Different Topic? For those who work at a Humane Society - Volunteer Questions

Milo Reyna

Momma's Moe

Purred: Tue Jan 5, '10 12:33pm PST 
let me start off by giving you my background on this. May be long.

I posted in here a couple months ago about me trying to become a Vet tech.

I started to become a foster parent for cats to help me get my foot in the door since for months nothing was happening, no one wanted me to volunteer. I had a feeling fostering would help and it did. I told the man that runs the cat rescue I wanted to be a vet tech and it's been hard to get my foot in the door so I decided to foster cats to get my experience with that and to help do my part for these animals.

he knows a lot of vets in the area and he has been going out of his way to help me get hands on volunteer work at a vet. He was able to get an interview with the director I believe of the local Humane society here. She said she isn't promising anything but would like me to call her.

my main question is and I'm very nervous because I"ve never had an interview like this or ever.

what are some of the things I should do to let her know that this is what I want to do? first impressions are everything.

The Cat rescue owner told me to get all my college information ready and let her know what courses I need to take to become the vet tech, what my plans are. He also told her I am willing do the dirty work, clean kennels, sweep just to get the chance to help the animals.

I know I'm going to get flustered while talking to her.

what are some of the key things to remember to talk to her about when it comes to pets?

can you tell I'm nervous lol.

You catster's always have the best advice so I knew I should ask on here.
[notify]

Hunter

Poop Anarchist

Purred: Tue Jan 5, '10 2:57pm PST 
This advice is from my mama, and it's pretty general:

Be enthusiastic, but also be confident. Show that you now know what you're getting into and that you have the tangible skills necessary to do the work. Bring a hard copy of your resume to the interview, and make sure it details the experience that helped you develop the tangible skills you now possess.

Show your enthusiasm by letting her know that you did your homework. This is where knowing what classwork is required comes in. By knowing this information, it shows that you've done your research and you have a plan to achieve your goal of becoming a vet tech.

We're wishing you the best of luck! cheercheercheer
[notify]

Milo Reyna

Momma's Moe

Purred: Wed Jan 6, '10 12:03am PST 
thanks hunter, I just made copies of the college requirements classes and what needs to be done in the vet before I can apply along with what classes I need to take before I can apply to the school.

I don't have a resume, I'm going in their hoping they will let me volunteer. I've never had a job and I should have had one considering my age.

Now I'm just going to write about why it's important to me. I feel like I'm in Highschool again lol and it's been a while.

thanks again Hunter.
[notify]

Terrence- (Rainbow- Bridge)

Handsome Boy

Purred: Tue Jan 12, '10 6:37pm PST 
Hi Milo!

I don't know if you've had your interview yet, but whether you have or haven't, I've worked in an animal shelter and I have some tips for you!

First of all, good for you for becoming a foster parent! That is a great way to gain some hands-on experience and help out some needy kitties to boot. This really shows you're serious about helping animals. Be sure sure and put that on your resume (if you haven't already), and ask the person you're fostering from if you can use him as a reference.

That's also great that you've got an interview with the director of your local shelter! I can understand why you're nervous, but consider this: this is also YOUR opportunity to ask tons of questions and get tons of info from the director! You can find out all about how they got into their animal career, what steps they took, what degree they have, etc. If you've already had your interview and forgot to ask about this stuff, just call or e-mail again and see if you can ask a few follow-up questions! If you haven't written your thank-you note yet (that's important!!!) you can ask at the same time you write that!

As far as getting your vet tech certification, there are at least a few online schools (Penn Foster is one that I know of) and some community colleges offer it as well. You will be required to work in a vet's office as part of your studies, so you're smart to look around for a position now.

One way to get a vet job is through a local animal shelter that also offers veterinary services, or has a vet on staff. I worked at a shelter starting off at the front desk, and then moved up to kennel technician. I could have moved on to clinic assistant if I had wanted to, and in fact as a kennel technician I did help out with some light medical care. There were also some volunteers there who got hired as full-time employees. Most shelters are always looking for volunteers. If one isn't currently taking volunteers, don't give up! Go to the next one and keep asking! Keep showing your face and getting to know the people there! Be an "informal volunteer" by going in and just sitting with/playing with the animals, if they will allow you to do that. Show them you're serious about working with animals (which obviously you are since you became a foster mom!).

Well, sorry if this has been long-winded! I am in the middle of a job search myself so I understand how nerve-wracking the resume/interview process can be. The most important thing -- DON'T GIVE UP!! It can take awhile to realize your dreams, but it will be totally worth it, knowing you're doing a lot to help animals. If you have any questions or need any advice, or just want to talk, don't hesitate to ask!!

BEST OF LUCK!! YOU CAN DO IT!!! cheer cheer cheer

Terrence, Merrin and Merlin's mom
[notify]