GO!

Crazy Cat Lady Defined

(Page 4 of 6: Viewing entries 31 to 40)  
1  2  3  4  5  6  
kaya skye

not fighting my- demons-we joined- forces

Purred: Thu Dec 10, '09 2:28pm PST 
i will soon google ms. wildenstein...right now it's scary enough to me that val's landlord actually believes she only has two cats. the only thing accurate about his perception is that they are indeed cats, and the currently representative integer is a prime number. it is not however the number two, which is the only known even prime, which makes two a very odd integer indeed. one of a kind.dancing yes, two is special, two is magical...and i still need to live with more than two cats. shrug
[notify]

new horizon- feral- squadron

homeless, except- in my heart...

Purred: Fri Dec 11, '09 3:52pm PST 
i would like very much to live with two other cats, please...my momcat and my sibfur would be my preference. failing that, if you would let your black inside kitty come and be MY black OUTSIDE kitty, i could make do. maybe.
no? you're mean.

(person to small catperson: come inside. there are cats. there is warmth. and bologna...)
[notify]

Gracie

I'm the baby,- gotta love me!

Purred: Sat Dec 12, '09 5:18pm PST 
Little grey kitten, I second what the furless creature says: you should go inside so you can be warm and better cared for. You could get food just for being cute, and you could get the furless person to brush your fur. Where we live they also have bells you can hear every day (person's note: somehow we ended up next door to a catholic school laugh out loud).
[notify]

Purred: Sat Dec 12, '09 10:18pm PST 
well, i just fed both kittens...and noticed something bizarre. the little guy i fed yesterday is much, much smaller than his sibling. he's not small for his age, his sibling is absurdly large. they're both kind of big for kittens that have to be around ten or eleven weeks-but the bigger kitten is...it's just ridiculous.
are there any health risks associated with, um, gigantism in kittens that i should be aware of, here?
oh, and i made sort of a try at grabbing the littler kitty, but decided i'll wait till i have a net and it's more of a sure thing. do i try to net them both at once? i'm thinking i should do something soon (buying a net monday), since ayla seems to be losing interest. like i said, i've seen her, and i've seen them...i have not seen them together now for two days.
i'm just afraid my roommate will be so perturbed...i really don't think she wants kittens....but it's so cold outside! if i were sure they'd stay together and help keep each other warm...oh, it's hideously cold out there...shrugshrugshrug
[notify]

Purred: Sat Dec 12, '09 10:23pm PST 
you know, i stuck my head in today. i did. and a paw. and there was something wrong with the ground in there! shock

(the smaller one did, indeed, set "paw" in the house...then jerked it back like it had been stung. well, Catfish hasn't stepped paw on carpet before...hey! if it's really a boy he can be catfish steven!)
[notify]

Harvey

Has been COTD!

Purred: Sat Dec 26, '09 3:58am PST 
I just thought of something. Toxoplasmosis can be transmitted to humans via contact with cat feces (although Wikipedia says that you're more likely to get it from eating meat). There is a theory (probably specious) that there is a link between toxoplasmosis and schizophrenia. A not insignificant percentage of people have been infected by toxoplasma and are not schizophrenic, but on the other hand,
"Toxoplasma's role in schizophrenia
The possibility that toxoplasmosis is one cause of schizophrenia has been studied by scientists since at least 1953. These studies had attracted little attention from U.S. researchers until they were publicized through the work of prominent psychiatrist and advocate E. Fuller Torrey. In 2003, Torrey published a review of this literature, reporting that almost all the studies had found that schizophrenics have elevated rates of Toxoplasma infection. A 2006 paper has even suggested that prevalence of toxoplasmosis has large-scale effects on national culture. These types of studies are suggestive but cannot confirm a causal relationship (because of the possibility, for example, that schizophrenia increases the likelihood of Toxoplasma infection rather than the other way around).

Acute Toxoplasma infection sometimes leads to psychotic symptoms not unlike schizophrenia.
Some anti-psychotic medications that are used to treat schizophrenia, such as haloperidol, also stop the growth of Toxoplasma in cell cultures.
Several studies have found significantly higher levels of Toxoplasma antibodies in schizophrenia patients compared to the general population.
Toxoplasma infection causes damage to astrocytes in the brain, and such damage is also seen in schizophrenia."

Hmm. Maybe there is some scientific basis to the concept of "crazy cat lady"?

On the other hand, what about "crazy cat man"? "Louis Wain was a prominent cat artist who later developed schizophrenia, which some believe was due to toxoplasmosis resulting from his prolonged exposure to cats." (Wiki.) If you compare his early, fairly realistic portrayals of cats (who are, however, usually engaged in some kind of human activity (playing poker, etc.) with his later works, done in a mental hospital, you will find that the later works become much less "realistic" and look like something someone would do on LSD (or catnip).

Check him out. His pictures are fascinating.
way to go
[notify]

kaya skye

not fighting my- demons-we joined- forces

Purred: Sun Dec 27, '09 1:26pm PST 
if someone is sufficiently infected with toxoplasmosis for it to be affecting their brain, they have bigger problems-mainly a crashed immune system. unless they were exposed to it while in utero-rules are different.
[notify]

jadyn liana- macavity-bla- ck

god heard, god- answered, the- mystery cat

Purred: Sun Dec 27, '09 1:35pm PST 
and actually the timing of wain's illness, among other things, does not fit schizophrenia. it's more likely that he had asperger's.
[notify]

Chibi

Proud mother of- the Gang of- Four!

Purred: Mon Dec 28, '09 11:42pm PST 
Yes, the theory that Wain had schizophrenia always seemed iffy to me. And yes, Asperger's seems a better fit for his symptoms. But toxo can do a job on you. It's enough to make me want to wear rubber gloves and a surgical mask when I change the litter pans.
[notify]

Gracie

I'm the baby,- gotta love me!

Purred: Tue Dec 29, '09 7:44am PST 
Chibi,

mom actually wears a surgical mask and gloves when changing the litter pan. We get really curious about her too, she looks so funny. But mom says it's either that, or dad changes the litterpan, and while dad loves us, he's just the kind of guy who'd just keep adding new litter forever instead of cleaning the actual box. big laugh
[notify]

(Page 4 of 6: Viewing entries 31 to 40)  
1  2  3  4  5  6