GO!

Sort of a survey - I'd like 2 know everyone's take...

Tag

Don't tell, but,- I'M training- MOM!

Purred: Fri Mar 20, '09 5:11pm PST 
I was talking to someone who works in the vet clinic I frequent. She was telling me her theories (hypothesis, really) on some of the reasons behind most of the complaints she hears concerning cats who go outside the litter box. Her input really got me to wondering, thinking
so I'd love to get some input from others.

So, do tell your experiences, even if your cat has a perfect track record, every outcome counts (only experience, please, no speculation). Although I'm asking in the name of research, this may also help those of us who are having waste elimination problems now, or who might have them in the future. So, please ...be honest!

1 - What kind of litter? Not necessarily interested in brand or cost, but mostly content or material.

2 - Were/are there medical problems? If so, what?

3 - What stressors may have contributed or been the cause?

4 - What changes seem to coincide?

5 - How many cats in the house? What are their ages? What are their kinships to one another (biologically)?

6 - How many humans reside in the house? What are their ages? How many & what type of regular visitors?

7 - How do the cats interact with one another? With human family/household members? With frequent visitors?

8 - Any dogs?

9 - How & how often do boxes get cleaned?

10 - On a scale of 1-10, (0 being boring, 1 being completely laid back) how anxious or busy is the energy in your home?

11 - How much outdoor time do they get?

12 - Finally, on a scale of 1 to 10 (0 being no problem at all, 1 being only problems due to medical conditions, but not persistent ...and so on) how bad is the problem elimination? Describe, if you've a mind. Please include urinary and fecal issues.

Any other factors you can think of that I've left out?

I would really appreciate any and all contributions. Thanx so much.applause
[notify]

♥- Suey- ♥

Loved

Purred: Fri Mar 20, '09 5:35pm PST 
1 - What kind of litter? We primarily use paper pellets. For a few weeks I switched to a sawdust based litter, but it tracks all over the house. So it's back to paper pellets!

2 - Were/are there medical problems? Fui has had two urinary tract infections, but both were before the age of 1. He is now 2.

3 - What stressors may have contributed or been the cause? For the UTIs, both occured when Fui's dad was away. For them pooping outside the box, there were two occasions when they did this for several days. Both were when the humans were away, and Fui and Suey's former foster mum was looking after them here.

4 - What changes seem to coincide? Dad being away, and then both being away.

5 - How many cats in the house? What are their ages? What are their kinships to one another (biologically)? We have two resident cats, Fui and Suey. They are littermates, and will be two years old on Monday (estimated!).

6 - How many humans reside in the house? What are their ages? How many & what type of regular visitors? Two resident humans, male and female, ages 30 and 24. We have about 10 regular visitors. Most are young men that the dad works with, and then two females in their mid 20s. We also have a little girl who I look after sometimes, she is 1.

7 - How do the cats interact with one another? With human family/household members? With frequent visitors? They get along well. They play together, and often sleep close together. Occasionally they whap each other a bit, but never anything serious. They are both very relaxed around the resident humans, and will spend time having cuddles (although neither is really a lapcat). Suey tends to hide away from male visitors (who are also the loud ones). She sits on her cat tree and watches when my girl friends are over. She has learned to accept little Lily as well, and even let Lily pat her the other day. I think she understands that any contact she has with Lily is strictly and closely monitored, and that it is my priority to make sure she isn't hurt or frightened.

Fui loves visitors. He has his favourites, who he circles rubbing their legs. He seems to particularly enjoying people who claim not to be cat people. I think he is out to convert them!

8 - Any dogs? No

9 - How & how often do boxes get cleaned? They are scooped once-twice a day, and given a good scrub at least once a week.

10 - On a scale of 1-10, (0 being boring, 1 being completely laid back) how anxious or busy is the energy in your home? Probably a 2.

11 - How much outdoor time do they get? They are allowed out to play during the day.

12 - Finally, on a scale of 1 to 10 (0 being no problem at all, 1 being only problems due to medical conditions, but not persistent ...and so on) how bad is the problem elimination? Describe, if you've a mind. Please include urinary and fecal issues. I would say1, that it is only a problem when we go away and they are left largely on their own. When we are away, they continue to urinate in the boxes, but defecate just outside.
[notify]

Delyte, Dark- Angel, at- Bridge

Me and my- person, together- against all

Purred: Fri Mar 20, '09 8:04pm PST 
This is Delyte's person, replying for the 4 cats.

1. Litter now Tidy Cats for Multiple Cats. We have tried almost everything else at least once. Used to use plain clay litter when I had a cat whose delicate bottom was allergic to scented litter. It was just too much to deal with the weight, and it smelled too much with even two cats let along 4 huge ones.

2. Our previous cat had longstanding kidney troubles and constant bladder infections, which is why we used the unscented. Delyte had an intestinal tumor and now has a shortened intestine. He has had very smelly loose stools since then which are a real hygience problem. Stella now has a stubborn bladder infection--or she is just a stubborn cat, not sure which.

3. Only stressors in the house are addition of cats.

4. None that I can see.

5. 4 cats, ages 13, nearly 3 and two who are 19 mos. The 3 year old and the 2 19 mos. olds are at least half siblings, if not full siblings, born to the same mother.

6. 1 female resident, age 60. One visitor who comes in several times a day, male age 67. One regular visitor who comes in once every couple of weeks, male, age 50.

7. Oldest cat hates all the other cats, loves his female person, tolerates his daily male visitor and the other, hates all other cats and humans. 3 yr old cat EXTREMELY affectionate to her female person and her daily male person, and loves ALL male people. She is attempting to be top cat and vacillates between aggressively biting the other cats and cuddling with them. The 19 mo. old female tolerates other cats and her female people, terrified of all other people. The 19 mo. old male cat shys away from the other cats except sometimes his sister, is scary even with his resident person and is only starting to tolerate his male visitors.

8. No.

9. Three boxes, two always available, one only available part of the day, get scooped at least once a day. The one that is not used much has a liner and is completely cleaned every other week. The other ones irregularly.

10. 2 pretty mellow, no deadlines no rushing around, we rarely leave the cats completely alone.

11. None.

12. Very rarely have anything outside the pan. Even though the three younger cats were feral when brought inside, everyone knows what the pan is for and has never been sick enough not to use it, even Delyte post severe abdominal surgery, when it must have hurt him to get inside. Stella was left at the vet overnight to get a urine sample and HELD IT until she got home to go in her own pan! One of the kittens is fond of removing poo from the pan and rolling it around on the floor in the hall. Possibly the same cat has gone #2 in the human toilet without any coaching.

Hope this does not jinx our record with the pans!

Do any of the cats use the human toilet? Have they been taught to? Does this cause accidents?
[notify]

DESERT

PICK ME !! PICK- ME!! TO BE PET!!

Purred: Fri Mar 20, '09 8:23pm PST 
1 - What kind of litter? Not necessarily interested in brand or cost, but mostly content or material. - MAX SCOOP NORMALLY MULTI CAT, BUT REGULAR WHEN THE STORE IS OUT

2 - Were/are there medical problems? If so, what? - EMOTIONAL DOES THAT COUNT AS MEDICAL

3 - What stressors may have contributed or been the cause? - NOT SURE BUT HE'S INSANE

4 - What changes seem to coincide? - MY NOT BEING AROUND AS MUCH OR SLEEPING LONGER

5 - How many cats in the house? What are their ages? What are their kinships to one another (biologically)? 3 CATS, GOSMOT IS 6 OR 6.5 WE THINK, DESERT (MY PROBLEM CHILD & MOST LOVEABLE) 2.5 2 AT THE TIME OF THE INAPPROPRIATE ELIMINATION (HE PEED ON MY PILLOW 2 IN A MONTH), FOREST 1 YEAR - NO BIOLOGICAL RELATION THAT I KNOW OF.

6 - How many humans reside in the house? What are their ages? How many & what type of regular visitors? 1 ME DO I HAVE TO TELL MY AGE ?? LET'S JUST SAY OVER 25 BUT UNDER 35. VISITORS ARE GETTING MORE REGULAR NOW THAT I'M FEELING BETTER BUT USUALLY ONLY THE OCCATIONAL FEMALE ADULT FRIEND, THESE FRIENDS ARE ALSO THE ONES THAT TEND TO TAKE CARE OF THEM WHEN I'M GONE FOR A WEEKEND.

7 - How do the cats interact with one another? With human family/household members? With frequent visitors? - OK NOW BUT THAT WAS A HUGE UP HILL BATTLE, THEY ALL LIKE PEOPLE BUT ARE SHY A BIT ECCEPT WITH ME THEY CAN BE NEEDY WITH ME .

8 - Any dogs? NO

9 - How & how often do boxes get cleaned? DAILY SOME TIMES UP TO 4 TIMES PER DAY

10 - On a scale of 1-10, (0 being boring, 1 being completely laid back) how anxious or busy is the energy in your home? - 3 - 5 I LIKE A QUIET

11 - How much outdoor time do they get? THEY USED TO GET ALOT MOSTLY OUT SIDE BY THEM SELVES ALL DAY EXCEPT IN THE WINTER. BUT, THAT ALL STOPPED IN AN EFFORT TO KEEP DESERT FROM KILLING THE OTHER 2 CATS.

12 - Finally, on a scale of 1 to 10 (0 being no problem at all, 1 being only problems due to medical conditions, but not persistent ...and so on) how bad is the problem elimination? Describe, if you've a mind. Please include urinary and fecal issues. I CAN'T JUDGE ON A SCALE FROM ONE TO TEN SINCE THERE WERE NO MEDICAL ISSUES SUCH AS UTI BUT HE IS PRONE TO CRYSTALS AND IS ON FOOD SPECIFIC FOR THAT (THEY ALL ARE) AND THE INAPPROPRIATE PEEING ONLY HAPPENED A HAND FULL OF TIMES AND I'M SURE IT WAS A - MOM I WANT YOUR ATTENTION - BECAUSE THE MINUTE I WAS AWAKE HE STOPPED. IT ONLY HAPPENED FOR ABOUT A MONTH LAST SUMMER. FOREST HAD SOME BUT THAT WAS A SUBSTRATE ISSUE AND I JUST MADE SURE NO PLASTIC BAGS WERE LEFT ANYWERE AND THE ISSUE IS GONE. FOREST WAS EASY TO FIGURE OUT BECAUSE HE ONLY PEED IN PLASTIC BAGS OUT SIDE OF THE LITTER.
[notify]

BooBoo

headed for the- light.

Purred: Mon Mar 23, '09 3:47pm PST 
1 - What kind of litter? Not necessarily interested in brand or cost, but mostly content or material.
Scoopable, clumping, unscented

Yes--constipation

none

pooping outside the litter box. often in other containers that might resemble a litter box a tiny bit

5 - How many cats in the house? What are their ages? What are their kinships to one another (biologically)?
One
6 - How many humans reside in the house? What are their ages? How many & what type of regular visitors?
One-- age 48--1 regular visitor a few times a week (SO) , occasional family

7 - How do the cats interact with one another? With human family/household members? With frequent visitors?
I love my Meowma and snuggle on her anytime I get a chance--the ole boyfriend is fun to sit on also, he pets me a lot. Meowma's niece only came here once, but I loved her. Meowma's sister comes and brings the 3 year old grandbaby--I don't do grandyounguns, and disappear when I hear little feet coming, even when they are still outside!

8 - Any dogs?
Hell no!

They get scooped every day and dumped and cleaned all the way weekly.

10 - On a scale of 1-10, (0 being boring, 1 being completely laid back) how anxious or busy is the energy in your home?
Probably a 1 on most days, with small amounts of 2.

Indoor only, please!

12 - Finally, on a scale of 1 to 10 (0 being no problem at all, 1 being only problems due to medical conditions, but not persistent ...and so on) how bad is the problem elimination? Describe, if you've a mind. Please include urinary and fecal issues.

I--the constipation listed above requires medicine 2x daily, and BooBoos age also makes her bowels still lazy, requiring extra brushing to wake them up--but since having treatment she has had no further issues at all.

[notify]

Gracie

I'm the baby,- gotta love me!

Purred: Mon Mar 23, '09 4:48pm PST 
Scoop Away unscented. It's clay based, rather than the one the manufacturer makes with crystals, we are told crystals are bad for cats. It's what Boris had grown up with. I tried switching both cats to Feline Pine, but the transition did not go well: my husband is extremely allergic to dust, and Feline Pine produced a greater amount of it than our go to litter.

It's unclear whether you are thinking of elimination problems or general health. We've never had elimination problems. Every once in a while Gracie will forget to clean her bottom and will trail something around the house, but it's very clear it's an accident due to fur (when the stuff stuck to her fur does drop, she tries to bury it in on the spot and looks to mom for help) .

Again, no elimination problems. Gracie is just medium haired, and not the most efficient of groomers, though she has gotten tidier as she has grown up (she still prefers it if Boris cleans her bottom, which he will only do if he feels like it. The rest of the time, I will just examine her in passing and use kitten wipes if necessary).

Not applicable

2 Cats. Miss Gracie will be one very soon, and Boris is 2 1/2 right now. They are not related, but they get along almost as well as littermates would. Gracie was ridiculously tiny when she came home, and I could make a case that Boris literally raised her into adulthood (he's been very patient with both her and us: we never owned any cats before Boris, so we've been learning what it's like to have cats as we go wink).

2 humans, both in their early 30s. We don't really have friends visit too often, but Boris knows and loves lots of our friends. He didn't start out so outgoing, we just had to reassure him a lot at first. He now reads our vibes and just rolls with it. Gracie is a little more skittish when it comes to people, but will usually come out after a while (she's too curious a creature) and enjoys the attention when she gets it.

The cats play not unlike litter mates. I think they both can't really remember what it was like before they were together, which is good. They have a pretty good bond with each other, but Gracie does tend to want more space to be alone, whereas Boris really really likes company. His idea of being alone is to sleep about a foot away from his people or Gracie. Gracie's idea of alone time is to hide in plain sight (she's grey, and a ninja kitty) for hours. Boris is very bonded to me. He used to be possessive of me with Gracie, but will generally let Gracie sit next to mom as long as he doesn't want exclusive attention. Gracie on the other hand is probably bonded to both me and my husband. She goes back and forth on who she likes best, but she's generally very loving no matter what. For info on how they generally deal with guests, see above.

One of my husband's friends used to petsit for Boris when he could (nowadays he's busier, so we've had to hire a petsitter). Boris worships the ground he walks on, seems like: he almost turns doglike with him. laugh out loud

8 - Any dogs? No. Boris is curious but aloof around dogs (we were told he was terrified of dogs, but he has met my MIL's beagle and was unperturbed by her until she tried to swipe his food big laugh), while Gracie is deeply terrified of them. We probably won't be getting a dog anytime soon, either. My dog lover husband is surprisingly a cat guy now. big laugh

9 - How many & how often do boxes get cleaned?
We only have one box. I know the experts say to get one more than the number of cats, but when we had 3 boxes, they always would go to the smallest box available and share it, so it seemed natural to eventually pick the biggest box we had, and make it the only box. I did keep an extra box in storage for any emergencies (i.e., for when Gracie was spayed and needed her own space, or for when we travel sans cats, to make up for the fact that they only get their box cleaned once a day). We scoop twice a day, and I dump out all the litter and wash the box out once a week. I didn't really clean the box as often back in the day when I only had Boris, but after Gracie came I started to do it more often. I find the cats don't really care, but it sure makes it easier on me to clean frequently. The more you put off cleaning a litter box, the more I find you have to spend time on cleaning it once you get around to it.

Maybe a 1. We're very laid back. Home is where us humans go to relax, and both cats can count on some semblance of a routine from both of us.

Both cats are indoor only. We've never lived anywhere where sending cats outside would be safe for them (nevermind that safe is a relative word), and we promised to keep them inside when each one was adopted.

Zero.

Edited by author Mon Mar 23, '09 4:51pm PST

[notify]

Izadore- (Izzie)

Always make it- look like the- dogs did it

Purred: Mon Mar 23, '09 5:47pm PST 
SCOOP AWAY FOR MULTIPLE CATS. NEVER HAD ANY PROBLEMS WITH IT. "IF IT AINT BROKE, DON'T FIX IT!!

NO, NONE.

IMPROPER ELIMINATION BY SENIOR CAT, NOW AT THE BRIDGE HAS ATTRACTED OTHER SUBSEQUENT CATS TO THE AREAS HE USED. "NATURES MIRACLE" HAS HAD NO EFFECT.
NO HOUSEHOLD CHANGES CAUSED SHIZZIE TO NOT USE THE BOX. IT WAS A HEALTH ISSUE.
5 - How many cats in the house? What are their ages? What are their kinships to one another (biologically)? 3 CATS. DELILAH IS ABOUT 6, IZZIE WILL BE 2 IN JUNE AND I'M TOLD LILY ROSE IS ALSO ABOUT 2. THEY ARE ALL RESCUE CATS AND ARE NOT RELATED TO EACH OTHER.

6 - How many humans reside in the house? What are their ages? How many & what type of regular visitors? TWO HUMANS, MY HUBBY WILL BE 59 ON FRIDAY AND I AM 55. THE ONLY VISITORS WE HAVE ARE OUR SON, DAUGHTER AND HER HUSBAND AND TODDLER BOY.

THE CATS INTERACTED WELL WITH EACH OTHER AFTER AN INTITIAL "GETTING TO KNOW YOU" PERIOD OF ONLY ABOUT A WEEK. IZZIE AND LILYROSE CAN BE SOCIAL WHEN THEY FEEL LIKE IT. DELILAH ALMOST ALWAYS HIDES FOR HALF THE VISIT THEN USUALLY COMES DOWN AND LETS HERSELF BE PETTED.

8 - Any dogs? HELL, YES. (3)

SCOOP EACH DAY AND DISINFECT/SCRUB ONCE A WEEK.

ABOUT A 2

OUTDOOR TIME AMOUNTS TO ABOUT 5 MINUTES OF BEING FRANTICALLY CHASED BY MOM WHEN THEY BOLT OUT THE DOOR. IT'S NOT ENJOYABLE FOR CATS OR MOM. MOM LOST A CAT ON THE ROAD LAST SUMMER AND TRIES AS HARD AS I CAN TO MAKE SURE NONE OF THESE THREE GET OUT.

I HAVE NO ISSUES WITH MY CATS EXCEPT FOR IMPROPER ELIMINATION IN THE DINING ROOM AFTER MY FIRST CAT USED THE RUG IN THERE. HE HAD SEVERE KIDNEY ISSUES AND COULDN'T ALWAYS "MAKE IT" TO THE BOX. THE URINE HAS SOAKED THROUGH THE CARPET INTO THE FLOOR, BUT DUE TO THE ECONONMY, WE CANNOT AFFORD TO REPLACE THE FLOORING. FREQUENT VISITS BY STANLEY STEEMER ARE ABOUT ALL WE CAN MANAGE.

I would really appreciate any and all contributions. Thanx so much.
[notify]