GO!

your kitty's taste in music? (if any...)

kaya skye

not fighting my- demons-we joined- forces

Purred: Mon Feb 23, '09 12:25pm PST 
some cats couldn't care less, i know. my mother's cat rex flees frantically whenever you turn a radio on...though he seemed to like to listen to my brother play blues on his acoustic guitar. but some cats love music, and in my experience they have some pretty definite likes and dislikes.
psycho-kitty devon was a jazz kitty all the way...thelonius monk made her purrbox turn on three rooms away. her sisfur gracie was pretty indiscriminate, except she seemed to bear some sort of grudge toward selene dion-too flashy on the vocals? painful high notes? who knows-but gracie reacted to ms. dion the same way rex reacts to music in general-which was pretty hilarious, actually. their foster sis jazz storm fell asleep to jazz-that's actually where the "jazz" part of her name came from-and got very active when we played most female artists-she had no problem with ms. dion, though if she had a preference i'd have to say it was early tina turner.
those three were my "nineties" cats...jake and katie were cats i had in the eighties, and they both liked pink floyd, which was good because i loved it. they did NOT seem to care for CCR, possibly because my brother went on an obsessive kick and played the record that has "smoke on the water" on it-just that side-over and over for two weeks. confused
my cats now, kaya & rhymon, both seem to prefer alternative & metal. kaya is especially fond of belle & sebastian's "like dylan in the movies" from "if you're feeling sinister". she races to me whenever it comes up and rubs me frantically, purring up a storm. a little creepy, considering the refrain:
"well if they follow you/don't look back/like dylan in the movies/cause if they follow you.../it's not your money that they're wanting boy it's YOU..."
neither has any taste for jazz, which is unfortunate for them because i do. when i turn on jazz they head back to my roommate's room to listen to metaldancingdancing

so...what does your kitty tune in to?
[notify]

Bumpurr

RESPECT The- Star!

Purred: Mon Feb 23, '09 4:19pm PST 
Bumpurr could care less, he just sleeps. As I travel, I just hit seek, and find
the local station, sometimes I turn it up, he doesn't care. The 2 kittens have
had numerous go for a ride training, sometimes I turn the radio up, they
don't care either, they just sleep. big grinbig grinbig grinbig grinbig grinbig grinbig grinbig grinbig grinbig grinbig grinbig grinbig grinbig grinbig grin
[notify]

kaya skye

not fighting my- demons-we joined- forces

Purred: Mon Feb 23, '09 6:43pm PST 
well, that's churrah's reaction, total snoozer...but he is sort of old, and frankly doesn't seem to get excited by (or show much interest in) much of anything but the essentials.
meanwhile i'm wondering if there's a way i could smuggle kaya into a belle&sebastian concert...
thinking
[notify]

Boris

I'm cute and I- know how to use- that :)

Purred: Mon Feb 23, '09 8:21pm PST 
Boris like piano music. I'd blame my husband (practically every musician he likes is heavy on the piano, like Ben Folds), but it's probably my fault: I'm a fan of Christopher O'Riley, particularly his Radiohead covers (big Radiohead fan, too, that is).

Gracie is a little more "whatever goes" on that front. I'm not sure she is bothered by anything other than the sounds of voices she does not recognize.
[notify]

Cowboy

The Battle Of- Texas 2010- Winner!

Purred: Tue Feb 24, '09 5:43pm PST 
Actually, I love disco, mol, and when those songs come on, I crank it. big grin

A few years ago, we went to a show in Fitchburgh MA, a normal 6 hr drive,
and it was a fa-reek-in blizzard! Good thing we had her truck. It was our
first out of state show, and we were determined to go, mol, and Smokey
was a kitten. She was crying and my friend was getting a little irritated.
I said, if you turn the radio on for her, she will quiet down. My cats are
used to the radio. She did, and Smokey did. It took us 9 hrs to get there.

big grinbig grinbig grinbig grinbig grinbig grinbig grinbig grinbig grinbig grinbig grinbig grinbig grinbig grinbig grinbig grinbig grinbig grinbig grinbig grinbig grinbig grinbig grinbig grinbig grinbig grinbig grinbig grinbig grinbig grin
[notify]

Harvey

Has been COTD!

Purred: Thu Feb 26, '09 6:44pm PST 
Well, I'm repeating myself, but my childhood cat Muff (real name!) definitely had a thing for Wagner. My mother loved opera, and every Saturday afternoon she'd tune into the live broadcasts from the Met. Verdi, Puccini--they left Muff cold. When there was a Wagner opera, though, she would roll around in ecstasy on my parents' bed--showing her tummy, wanting to be cuddled, whatever. Note that this was a normally very unaffectionate cat. Say what you will about Wagner and his connection with the Nazis, Muff loved him. (And, as far as I know, she wasn't a Nazi herself.)

As for my present brood, I don't have a CD player at present (nor a TV, nor a microwave), but when I seek out opera arias on YouTube, Harvey is very, very responsive. He may be stupid or very smart, but he looks for the tenor hidden behind the laptop. Har!
[notify]

Harvey

Has been COTD!

Purred: Thu Feb 26, '09 6:57pm PST 
Okay, just did a test. Harvey was, as usual, next to my computer, and my only access to music is via computer. So I searched for Russian basso-profundo singers on YouTube, and he was...disturbed. He apparently prefers tenors. Go figure.
[notify]

The- Magnificent- Seven

We all found- homes!

Purred: Thu Feb 26, '09 7:01pm PST 
Har har har...I next put on a YouTube recording of Richard Leech (who was my high school classmate, and now a very skilled tenor), and Harvey wasn't having anything to do with it, but Hilles rushed up and started sniffing the screen. Check out Rick Leech--he's a really nice person with a gorgeous voice.
way to go
[notify]