GO!

PETA and ALF?

(Page 2 of 2: Viewing entries 11 to 13)  
1  2  
BooBoo

headed for the- light.

Purred: Sun Apr 5, '09 11:47am PST 
I'm with Suey ; PETA gets no credit in my book, and don't get sucked into their spin. It is very deceptive! . And, if you have paid really close attention, Vick is the one saying "I will be doing construction work"--he doesn't really have a job lined up, is just assuming he can do that. I would like to know where he thinks he's going to get this job, since very few construction companies are hiring even experienced carpenters, painters, finishers, or any other positions. The judge dismissed Vick's statements about the NFL millions in bankruptcy court, and said no, we will NOT accept that as an excuse to let you keep your stuff--you can keep oNE house, three cars, and not much else.

I worked in downtown Atlanta, in one of the businesses they like hanging around outside of, while PETA's protests were going on, and believe me, the amount of protesters just wasn't that noticeable; there is always one group or another outside the CNN building (of various sizes) , the Courthouse, whatever--it's just not a big deal to these bigwigs to have a protest outside. And the PETA group was not nearly as many people as they claim, or didn't look so to me. I work for the biggest media outlet in Atlanta, and we didn't give PETA much time either; we consider them too radical and polarizing.
No, credit the normal animal lovers out there with Vick's fall from grace, and punishment in the NFL. Our regular audience wrote, called, and emailed us with thousands of communications desiring Vick's head on a plate, with none of the animal rights rhetoric. The general public in Atlanta was outraged over the dog fighting story, and quickly demanded that Michael Vick not play here any longer. We did get a very little but loud support for Vick--and that's another story in itself which I won't comment on in public.
The arrests and indictments did move slowly, but that was due to the prosecution wanting to make sure they would win the case--they had to get plenty of evidence that not only the "renters" but the owner of the property (Vick) were complicit in the charges. At the very beginning, Arthur Blank did not believe the stories could be true--he thought Mikey was a good kid. But as the truth came out, Blank quickly made it clear that if the truth was Vick did know about what was going on in VA, he would not play for the Falcons again, even if the team was stuck keeping him sitting on the bench. Luckily, that won't be the case, and AB has made it very clear he wants no part of Vick in the future.
I have to say, that no matter the charges, if I had been in Vick's shoes, that prior to being found guilty, I would have really appreciated not being suspended or otherwise punished before being convicted. And, after the conviction and punishment, no matter the crime, I think it is fair for the employers to take their time before making a rash decision that is FOREVER. After all, the man has spent over a year in jail, and will be losing the vast majority of everything he has. To many people, that is punishment enough. And many players who have been convicted in cases involving drugs, petty crimes, and assault--on humans, not dogs, are still playing. Ray Lewis almost went to prison for a murder here in Atlanta, but skated on lesser charges, and still got to play. I don't think those players should be allowed in the NFL either, but there they are. I really don't think many teams will be interested in Vick anyway, just because the charges involved animals, and people do love their pets.

In general, I think PETA is so far off the deep end that they don't really get much attention beyond being derided and laughed at, and ALF doesn't usually get even that. I don't credit them with anything in the Vick case other than being a distraction.

Edited by author Sun Apr 5, '09 11:57am PST

[notify]

♥- Suey- ♥

Loved

Purred: Fri Apr 10, '09 7:29am PST 
I agree with everything BooBoo has said. Companies, and in this case sporting teams, need to be careful how they deal with potential criminal charges, because of the risk of prejudicing prosecutions. It certainly wasn't PETA that brought those prosecutions to fruition. Even if the NFL had decided on a two week suspension, the authorities weren't exactly going to let him out of jail to play.

PETA might have tried to hijack the attention with their stunts, but the grass roots movement was far more effective- see the store owners who removed Vick products from sale, the people who threatened to hand their season tickets back to the Falcons, the lower grade teams who let people in to a game for free if they handed in Vick jerseys, the bring your dog to the game days, and the general disgust with what had gone on.

As soon as he plead guilty, a lot of the support for him (such as from the NAACP & SCLC) finished, because that support was based on the premise of innocence until proven guilty.

Simply taking the credit for the moves of corporations- as PETA does- does not mean they caused those actions.
[notify]

kaya skye

not fighting my- demons-we joined- forces

Purred: Mon Apr 13, '09 5:02pm PST 
exactly, suey and boo boo. PETA just attached themselves to the issue, i don't think they made an iota of difference in how things played out. before he was ever convicted, shortly after the story came out, retailers who carried his merchandise either pulled it from the shelves or (and this was GREAT) sent jerseys with his name and number to shelter dogs and "his" dogs so they could chew him in effigy, as it were. this was not due to PETA's sitting outside their doors, it was a spontaneous act born of outrage and contempt.
and yes, PETA lobbied hard for all of the animals to be put down...this is "ethical treatment of animals", to not give the dogs any kind of chance at a good life?
what little they MAY have accomplished (getting Vick suspended), had nothing to do with their supposed goals and everything to do with bragging rights. they had zero to do with the investigation, zero to do with the rehabilitation of the dogs, were essentially nothing but a shrill distraction.
yes, in this country you are innocent until proven guilty, thus it made sense for the NFL to take their time on making a ruling-this is called abiding by the spirit of the law. PETA can't even abide by the spirit of their NAME!
[notify]

(Page 2 of 2: Viewing entries 11 to 13)  
1  2