GO!

Require the FDA to enforce the Food, Drug, and Cosmetic Act with Pet Foods

This is a forum to discuss legislation and legal matters pertaining to the rights and welfare of cats. Please remember to counter ideas and opinions with which you don't agree with friendly and helpful advice and responses.

Cameron

miiiiiiiiiiiiiil- llllllllllk!

Purred: Tue Nov 1, '11 9:19am PST 
I am posting this message here, because I feel VERY strongly about pet food. I am so disturbed and disgusted with many of the popular commercial foods out there, and what is really in them. After going through cancer with my dog Niko, and learning a lot about food, I feel some responsibility to encourage people to educate themselves on food, and support change for the better. Remember the phrase, someone can't do everything, but everyone can do something.

The link below is from truthaboutpetfood.com. It's a petition ask the Obama administration to require the FDA to enforce the Food, Drug, and Cosmetic Act (The Act) - as it is written - with pet foods.

If you know what is in many pet foods, you won't hesitate to sign it (it takes only a moment). If you don't know what is really in most pet foods, please sign it anyway and then educate yourself. thinking

SIGN THE PETITION

(Note, if you have not previously registered, and need to do so, you may need to sign out, and then back in again, to 'sign')

Thank you!!!!!!
hamster dance

Edited by author Thu Nov 3, '11 6:53am PST

[notify]

Gummi

Destroyer of- Spiders

Purred: Tue Nov 1, '11 2:46pm PST 
I know exactly what goes into most pet foods, and yet I hesitate.

The FDA is ineffectual at best with regulating human food. They are stretched thin and would require even more federal resources to enforce any sort of law that requires pet food to be regulated at same standards as human food. Do I believe that pet food should be made to the same standard? Yes, I do. That's why I buy brands that do that very thing, and I don't give my money to companies that do not. Those foods are more expensive for a reason, because I am essentially buying human food for my cats. Imagine Friskies being manufactured to that level - it would be at Weruva prices, and probably still as questionable. Prices would go up because of new regulations, and many people that were currently feeding $0.50 a can cat food will find that they cannot afford to feed at $1.50 a can, so what will they do? I personally feel as though there will be a nationwide swelling of numbers of abandoned pets at shelters because people simply cannot absorb the higher cost that such new enforcement will bring. It's called unintended consequences.

Better 5 kittens eat a low-quality cat food in a loving home than being put to sleep in a shelter somewhere.
[notify]

Shade

My name is not- Kittyfloss!

Purred: Tue Nov 1, '11 5:57pm PST 
The problem, Gummi, is that the low priced cat foods represent themselves as providing good nutrition for cats, not barely adequate nutrition for people who can't afford the expensive foods because they lost their jobs, or are students, or any of the many other reasons people are lacking money these days. While I understand your point about people being able to afford to feed their pets and thus providing a home, and I'm all for that as opposed to poor cats barely surviving on the streets (!!!), I feel that many pet food companies are just playing a "rip off" game. A heck of a lot of people, even very intelligent people, have no notion that all pet foods aren't created equally or that ingredients matter. The pet food companies don't want people to know these things either, or they would advertise themselves as "low cost alternatives".

Actually, this petition is about, to quote the petition, "the FDA allows materials from diseased animals, euthanized animals, downer animals, rodent feces and insect infested foods to be processed into pet foods/animal foods." I don't think that anyone wants these items in their pet's food. This is about saving money in a very disingenious way, not the same as making the food cheap with fillers. This is the link to a description of the petition, http://www.truthaboutpetfood.com/articles/we-the-pet-people.html. And, as an aside, I too buy the more expensive pet foods, but I don't necessarily trust them either to be honest.

I signed the petition. Don't ever think that any large corporation is out for any interest other than it's own bottom line.

Purrs,
Shade
[notify]

Gummi

Destroyer of- Spiders

Purred: Tue Nov 1, '11 6:34pm PST 
You are absolutely correct. Corporations do cut corners, and in the case of most of the pet food industry, they do it by using legal, yet undoubtedly disgusting by-products and remains of the greater food industry. Now let's say, the FDA thing goes into effect and companies must now source to less objectionable ingredients. Retail prices will still rise even if production costs don't as much - because you know they'll tout the new regulation as something awesome THEY thought of to improve your pet's health, and will still charge and arm and a leg.

Sadly, I must agree with you as to the lack of education of the public about what is in pet food. Companies are tricky hiding behind labels and clever advertising. But in this day and age almost everyone has the greatest informational tool in the history of the planet sitting in their office, home, or even on their phone. They need to *use* it. People need to educate themselves, and it's SO easy to do. There is just no excuse any more for the consumer to NOT know.

Please understand, however, that I am not saying business isn't part of the problem, because it is. But if folks are buying crap, they're going to continue to make it because most people don't think twice about what they feed their pets, and the only way to change THAT is education.
[notify]

Shade

My name is not- Kittyfloss!

Purred: Wed Nov 2, '11 3:56am PST 
You are correct Gummi. But how do you get the average pet owner to even know that they need to educate themselves about pet nutrition? That is the question! Espcially when the majority of vets aren't even aware that they themselves are not really educated about pet nutrition.

Although I somehow doubt that the petition will really get the required number of signatures and therefor will never been seen by the "White House", perhaps a few more people will become educated about their pet's food in the process.

Purrs,
Shade
[notify]

Gummi

Destroyer of- Spiders

Purred: Wed Nov 2, '11 5:32am PST 
How do we indeed get people to pay attention? thinking Well, how did you and I start paying attention? I know I did because...well...I love my cats and I care about their diet, so in my search for a good food for them, I stumbled across all sorts of information about the bad and the good out there. No doubt you care for your cats too, otherwise you wouldn't know what you do. But I started to pay attention because I began to take interest in what I feed them, and only I can be my own cats advocate.

Bottom line is that people need to care in the first place to get educated, and I feel the actions behind this petition, if actually taken, will simply put another band-aid on the problem and promote a false sense of security, and give another reason for people not to bother to research. frown
[notify]

Cameron

miiiiiiiiiiiiiil- llllllllllk!

Purred: Wed Nov 2, '11 7:47am PST 
Hi Guys! I think you both make good points. There is so much that needs to be done, but it's not all gonna happen at once. I think the petition is a good thing, and one small piece of a very large puzzle.
cat on moon
[notify]