GO!

Petition requests.

This is a forum to discuss legislation and legal matters pertaining to the rights and welfare of cats. Please remember to counter ideas and opinions with which you don't agree with friendly and helpful advice and responses.

Harvey

Has been COTD!

Purred: Fri May 27, '11 3:03pm PST 
It is illegal for me to sign petitions in Japan. You are asking me to commit a crime. As this crosses international borders, this could get serious. I sympathize with your cause, but please do not ask me to break the law.
[notify]

Harvey

Has been COTD!

Purred: Fri May 27, '11 4:40pm PST 
Yes, I sound paranoid. Yes, I am paranoid. Being an American citizen in a foreign country is not for sissies. I am, obviously, a legal alien. I do not, however, have permanent residency. I can be deported at any time at the whim of the Japanese government. Furthermore, since 9/11, the U.S. government is suspicious of American citizens living abroad. I had a hard time getting a new Social Security Card because my American passport was issued by the American Embassy in Tokyo. You live here thirty years, you get your passport renewed here. Um, dumb. If you do not understand my situation, you do not understand what it means to be an American expatriate. I am forbidden to participate in any form of political action whatsoever, which includes signing petitions and joining unions. I am referring to repetitive p-mails about a shelter issue. I sympathize. I would sign them if I were legally allowed to. But I am not. Please remember that all Americans do not live in the U.S. I have to follow the laws of the country I live in.
[notify]

Harvey

Has been COTD!

Purred: Fri May 27, '11 4:45pm PST 
My first post was a response to an eager p-mail. My answer was sent by my cell phone, which took around 30 minutes and much angst. Please forgive.
[notify]

Frankie

Purred: Thu Aug 4, '11 7:16am PST 
Really? I never knew that!
[notify]

Harvey

Has been COTD!

Purred: Sat Aug 6, '11 11:35pm PST 
Actually, I became curious about whether or not the law had changed in the past twenty odd years. I called Immigration and found out that foreigners are now allowed to sign petitions and join labor unions. So, fire away!
[notify]