GO!

Bill to shoot feral cats is passed in Utah. :(

This is a forum to discuss legislation and legal matters pertaining to the rights and welfare of cats. Please remember to counter ideas and opinions with which you don't agree with friendly and helpful advice and responses.

(Page 3 of 3: Viewing entries 21 to 30)  
1  2  3  
Finnegan- (Finney)

I am a- CARNIVORE! Not a- Cornivore!

Purred: Fri Mar 4, '11 12:34pm PST 
Here's the link for a new petition to stop this. I knew it was only a matter of time:
New petition to rectify this law

Edited by moderator Fri Mar 11, '11 6:16pm PST

Edited by forums moderator

Samantha

Sammerstiltskin

Purred: Tue Mar 8, '11 5:36am PST 
That is so horrible. This makes me sick. People are so stupid. Too bad we can't just sit around and shoot idiots. Penn I read what u said about the black cats being burned that's horrible where r these kids parents! Sammys black and my first kitty ever.. she is seriously the sweetest little thing in the entire world doesn't matter what color she is.. these people are idiots... I will sign the form. This is sick.. I hope these people come back in another life as helpless animals that have no homes!
[notify]

Kisu

Japanese Bobtail

Purred: Wed Mar 9, '11 10:53am PST 
ARE THEY KIDDING ME? and what about the last paragraph? FUN? Thats their way of fun? GIMME A BREAK

SALT LAKE CITY — The so-called "feral cat" bill, which would allow animals deemed pests to be shot, was passed by the House Friday after several changes.

HB210 was stripped of much of its original intent in committee but the bill's sponsor, Rep. Curt Oda, R-Clearfield managed to restore some key language.
Oda said the bill is needed to allow farmers and ranchers to control feral animal populations without fear of being charged with animal cruelty.
The House agreed to add back a provision allowing the humane shooting of an animal in an unincorporated area of a county if the shooter "has a reasonable belief" the animal is feral.
Rep. Mike Noel, R-Kanab, said feral animals are ever-present in rural areas. He said it's not a matter of if they're coming for his cows, but when.
And while many representative acknowledged the necessity of controlling feral animals in rural areas, Rep. Marie Poulson, D-Salt Lake, said her family encouraged feral cats, instead of killing them, because they kept the mice population down.
Oda ended up circling his bill before the midday break Friday after a lengthy debate about where such shootings should be allowed.
Rep. Jackie Biskupski, D-Salt Lake, said the broad language of the bill would allow individuals to shoot animals in unincorporated areas, such as Millcreek.
"It's just so not appropriate," Biskupski said.
later Friday, the bill was amended to apply only to areas where hunting is not prohibited, and quickly passed, 44-28.
Before the vote, Minority Assistant Whip Brian King, D-Salt Lake, said he is concerned the bill provides a loophole for individuals who want to "satisfy their own perverse sense” by killing animals for pleasure.
House Minority Leader Dave Litvack, D-Salt Lake, spoke out against the bill earlier Friday, calling it "an embarrassment."
"We all had a lot of fun with the original bill," Litvack said. "I don’t think that’s really where we want to go as a policy of the state of Utah."

There was some fun, too, during the Friday afternoon vote that sent the bill to the Senate. A number of representatives could be heard meowing as they cast their votes.

-----

Story written with contributions from Lisa Riley Roche and Amanda Verzello.
[notify]

Lacey

Backflips are my- specialty!

Purred: Wed Mar 9, '11 11:15am PST 
That in itself is funny because the reason cats were so revered and worshipped in ancient Egypt was because of their hunting skills. They were the ones that kept all the grains and crops rodent and pest free. It was actually a crime punishable by death if you were caught killing a cat back then!
[notify]

Ben

I fetch,- therefore I am.

Purred: Fri Mar 11, '11 6:22pm PST 
That's true Lacey! And when early Christians in Europe were killing cats because they thought we were witches' familiars, the rodent population exploded and led to the Black Plague! shock

Good news! The Salt Lake Tribune is reporting:

"Feral cats clawed out the final, ultimate win in the Senate on Thursday. Senators passed a bill to save them, and let die another that would have allowed shooting them in rural areas.

The Senate voted 20-7 to give final approval to SB57, a bill designed to save feral cats through trap-sterilize-release programs, and sent it to Gov. Gary Herbert for his signature. It let die without action the controversial HB210 by Rep. Curt Oda, R-Clearfield, which would have allowed shooting them."

http://www.sltrib.com/sltrib/home/51404730-76/cats-feral-senate-shooting.html.csp

happy dancedancingapplausecheerapplausedancinghappy dance

♥Kobe- and- Aidan&hearts- ;

♥♥♥ 2- Sweet & Awesome- Cats ♥♥♥

Purred: Sat Mar 12, '11 8:55pm PST 
Originally, I thought the bill had already been passed and voted on, but after I read it again, I realized it was still in voting and had not been actually passed in Utah, yet.

With that said, YES - the above post is right! I've been meaning to post here about the "feral cat" bill being vetoed, but I've been busy.

Yay! I'm sooo happy to hear that they're going to help the feral cats, instead of just killing them! big grin happy dance big grin happy dance big grin
[notify]

Lacey

Backflips are my- specialty!

Purred: Sun Mar 13, '11 3:17pm PST 
Ben thank you! That's so great! Hurrayyyyy!!! It pays to sign these things. I've learned that over and over again. way to go
[notify]

Miss Edith

Oh rly foo?

Purred: Wed Mar 16, '11 7:47am PST 
A bit of comic relief, last night as my husband was chopping up some raw steak for the kitties, Miss Edith decided she wanted to hunt hers instead so she stood on top of our toaster, attacked the unchopped slab which was about half her size and when her hook claw hooked it it came flying up and knocked her back off of the toaster with it.

This cat is a great hunter but to see her get into a fight with a cold slab of sirloin is pretty epic lolls. laugh out loud ugh she's my feral princess I hate Utah
[notify]

CHARLEY- BLEAU EYES

I\'M HAVING- FUN!!!!!!!!!!!!1

Purred: Wed Mar 16, '11 7:29pm PST 
laugh out loudlaugh out loudlaugh out loudlaugh out loudlaugh out loudlaugh out loud You rock, Miss Edith!! Mom is laughing out loud at the mental image of you hooking that piece of steak off the toaster. I just wish there was real video of that!!! laugh out loudlaugh out loudlaugh out loudlaugh out loud
[notify]

Dr. House

OBEY!

Purred: Tue Mar 29, '11 4:35am PST 
>>a large glut of people who take pleasure in animal cruelty and will interpret the law as they see fit as the State's blessing to skin alive, torture, and kill with agony homeless cats and kittens. They will also kill them with bow hunting, which is extremely agonizing and slow.

Gene Baierschmidt, Executive Director of the Humane Society of Utah believes that the bill will be a huge mistake and will only, "open the door for a lot of abuse to take place."
[notify]

(Page 3 of 3: Viewing entries 21 to 30)  
1  2  3