GO!

Missourians - vote YES on Prop B

This is a forum to discuss legislation and legal matters pertaining to the rights and welfare of cats. Please remember to counter ideas and opinions with which you don't agree with friendly and helpful advice and responses.

Tissue

Purred: Mon Oct 25, '10 8:08pm PST 
For any Missourians out there, please vote yes on prop B next Tues to stop puppy mill cruelty. Help our bow-wow siblings out! This law would not affect cats though but keeping breeders more accountable will help all of us pet owners.

Here's more on the issue for those of you who have not heard of it yet:

The issue
Proposition B, known as the “Puppy Mill Cruelty Prevention Act,” would regulate puppy mills all over the state. The measure was proposed by Missourians for the Protection of Dogs, and more than $3.5 million have been raised from various agencies.

• If those voting “no” win, the status quo will be maintained.

• If those voting “yes” win, breeders will be required to give their dogs food, water, veterinary care, sufficient exercise space and protection from the elements. Each breeder will be limited to 50 dogs; they will be required to keep the temperature between 48 and 85 degrees, and they may not stack wire cages.

What’s at stake
Some argue that laws will hurt dog breeders’ business and that the economy will be affected. Other opponents think it will place too much government control on the puppy mills.
[notify]

BeBe

I'm just a- lover!

Purred: Mon Nov 1, '10 11:24am PST 
Enforcement of laws already in place is needed.
This doesn't have any funding as it is, where are they going to get the funds to do more inspections?

This law if passed will only hurt good breeders. shrug I'm against puppy mills but when HSUS is behind something you really should look into it deeper. They're just like PETA, they want TOTAL ANIMAL LIBERATION. No pets, no livestock, no interaction with animals!
[notify]

Merlin- >PAWS<- [In Loving

Purred: Thu Nov 11, '10 7:04am PST 
Any legislation designed to protect animals is good. "Good breeders" already follow good practices, so they won't be hurt. The only ones who stand to be hurt are the dogs of money-hungry breeders who see their dogs only as a financial asset or liability. I hope this law passed!
[notify]

Tissue

Purred: Thu Nov 11, '10 7:52am PST 
It passed just barely though by just one or two percent. Needless to say it was the more rural counties where breeders run rampant that voted no. I sure do hope they can enforce this.
[notify]

Delyte, Dark- Angel, at- Bridge

Me and my- person, together- against all

Purred: Sat Nov 13, '10 9:55am PST 
This is Delyte. If any one saw the Daily Show on Thursday, 11/11, there was a segment where they talked with a real representative of the people opposed to Prop B. She said that forcing breeders to provide adequate food, water, space, minimal cleanliness and humane euthanasia was an outrage and shows that the US has become a totalitarian state like Red China. They said they were going to fight it with every resource and they already had the support of the newly elected senator and other Tea Party candidates to put a bill through the legislature as soon as it starts the new term. The bill will effectively negate anything in Prop B and return the legislation on the books to a much more rudimentary form.

Our person was so incensed she almost threw the TV out the window! These self-righteous people who want to return everything to the times when you could do anything to make a profit, with no consideration for anything that makes human beings human, makes her sick and frightened for anyone who will get in their way.

Please, if there is anyone listening who lives and votes in Missouri, do not let them gut this bill!
[notify]

Merlin- >PAWS<- [In Loving

Purred: Mon Nov 15, '10 3:01pm PST 
Delyte, how horrible! How can people be so uncompassionate? How can anyone think it's ok to deny cats and dogs the basics of life??? It's reprehensible! Those people fighting this bill frighten me, too; they're dangerously close to anarchists. No less a soul than Mohandas Ghandi said that the moral worth of a country can be judged by how it treats its animals. On that basis, the moral worth of those wanting to gut the bill is blatantly obvious.

BTW, I don't live in Missouri, so can't fight for or against. . . I just know WRONG when I see it!
[notify]

Tissue

Purred: Mon Nov 15, '10 9:39pm PST 
I do live in MO but I bet you anything they'll put the ballot on an election that gets a much lower voter turnout so people who would normally vote against it won't even know its even on the ballot. The best we can do is raise awareness.
[notify]