GO!

USA: Bring All Commercial Dog Breeders Under Federal Oversight!

This is a forum to discuss legislation and legal matters pertaining to the rights and welfare of cats. Please remember to counter ideas and opinions with which you don't agree with friendly and helpful advice and responses.

Finnegan- (Finney)

I am a- CARNIVORE! Not a- Cornivore!

Purred: Tue Jun 22, '10 6:04pm PST 
ASPCA site has a bill they're trying to get signed. Please sign the petition for this! It's so we can get rid of puppy mills and better keep track of dog breeders properly.
https://secure2.convio.net/aspca/site/Advocacy?cmd=displa y&page=UserAction&id=2727
[notify]

Nuk Anuk

Couching Tiger

Purred: Wed Jun 23, '10 5:58am PST 
What the Original Poster is asking.. Is that you can use the ASCPA's form letter (found at their posted link) to ask your federal legislators to support and cosponsor the Puppy Uniform Protection and Safety Act

USA: Bring All Commercial Dog Breeders Under Federal Oversight!

S. 3424/H.R. 5434—Puppy Uniform Protection and Safety (PUPS) Act
Sponsors: Senators Richard Durbin (D-IL) and David Vitter (R-LA); Rep. Sam Farr (D-CA)
ASPCA Position: Support
Action Needed: Use the email below to ask your federal legislators to support and cosponsor the Puppy Uniform Protection and Safety Act!

In May, Senators Durbin and Vitter and Rep. Farr introduced the Puppy Uniform Protection and Safety (PUPS) Act to bring all commercial dog breeders in the United States under federal oversight. Currently, only breeders who sell their dogs to brokers or pet stores are required to be licensed and inspected by the USDA. If passed, the PUPS Act would require any breeder who sells or offers to sell more than 50 dogs annually directly to the public—including over the Internet—to also be licensed and inspected.

The bill would also require all dog breeders licensed under the federal Animal Welfare Act to exercise every dog every day, including allowing the dogs to reach a running stride without the use of treadmills or similar devices. Requiring exercise could dramatically improve the lives of thousands of dogs suffering from lifetimes of confinement at the hands of the commercial breeding industry.

The ASPCA was disturbed by the most recent report by the U.S. Office of Inspector General on the USDA’s lax enforcement of the Animal Welfare Act. We are working with federal officials to ensure that the current law, as well as any amendments, is enforced consistently and aggressively against violators. In the meantime, strengthening the current law is critical if better enforcement is to have a significant impact.

Please email your senators and representative today and ask them to support and cosponsor the PUPS Act!
[notify]

Harvey

Has been COTD!

Purred: Sat Nov 27, '10 12:34pm PST 
I can't believe that the U.S. doesn't already have a law like this. Japan does, and it's enforced.
[notify]

Hobert von- Kingston III

Is it Caturday- yet?

Purred: Sun Nov 28, '10 5:50am PST 
Just wanted to chime in, this is a hot item over in Dogster. Yes, it would be wonderful for puppy mills to be eradicated, as well as backyard breeders. However, the way this bill is written it would also make it extremely hard for reputable, responsible breeders to continue as well.
[notify]

Mordred,PAWS

No Not-Moms!!!!

Purred: Sun Nov 28, '10 10:43am PST 
Whatever inconvenience reputable breeders might have to endure is *nothing* compared to the suffering in puppy mills! Any law that protects the innocent is worthy, and convenience be damned.
[notify]

Lowell

Regional Winner!

Purred: Sun Nov 28, '10 7:21pm PST 
Hobert, I'm interested in knowing how this would affect responsible breeders. The CFA is always reporting on new restrictions on cat breeding in the U.S., and while Japan doesn't have many severe restrictions as yet (just reasonable ones that make it hard for puppy/kitten mills and backyard breeders to survive), it is becoming harder to import cats from the U.S., which is draining the feline gene pool in Japan. And Mordred, truly Draconian measures against breeding can backfire. First, it is possible for cat breeds to go extinct (as Maine Coons and Turkish Angoras almost did in the past). Second, people will always want purebreds, whether dogs or cats, and I have a feeling that making it hard for legitimate breeders to breed will create an even worse scenario, of sleazy outlawed breeders breeding (probably inbreeding) animals and selling them on the black market. Certainly there is a way to do away with puppy/kitten mills and backyard breeders and yet allow hobby breeders continue to do their thing. I see that the number "50" is mentioned--I can't imagine any hobby breeder breeding that many cats per year (I don't know about the size of dog litters). Two or three litters of 3-6 kittens each per year is more like it.
[notify]

Hobert von- Kingston III

Is it Caturday- yet?

Purred: Wed Jan 19, '11 8:40pm PST 
Whoa forgot about this topic. I'll see if I can dig up the debate in Dogster for you. As I remember though, it was really a double edged sword.
[notify]