GO!

Petco and Petsmart under investigation for animal abuse

This is a forum to discuss legislation and legal matters pertaining to the rights and welfare of cats. Please remember to counter ideas and opinions with which you don't agree with friendly and helpful advice and responses.

Topic closed to new posts.
(Page 1 of 4: Viewing entries 1 to 10)  
Page Links: 1  2  3  4  
Finnegan- (Finney)

I am a- CARNIVORE! Not a- Cornivore!

Purred: Tue Apr 27, '10 9:44am PST 
Please read and sign this petition, Petco and Petsmart are under criminal investigation for abusing their animals!
http://www.change.org/petitions/view/ask_petco_and_petsmar t_to_stop_exploiting_animals
[notify]

Nellie

i am the quiet- one

Purred: Wed Apr 28, '10 4:13pm PST 
I like petsmart and i always shop there for my cats stuff. I dont belive that they are causing animal abuse. I think peta is a joke. I dont shop at petco to much cause it usally smells really bad in there
[notify]

♥- Tasha- ♥

Cat; I'm a kitty- cat!

Purred: Thu Apr 29, '10 7:19am PST 
I sincerely hope this does not become a PETA bashing thread~ I am so "over" those confused

I would love to see Petco and Petsmart stop selling animals because of where the animals come from. If you don't like puppy mills~ how do you feel about rodent mills or bird factories?? This is where Petco and Petsmart get their animals from.

I am sure there are Petcos & Petsmarts that treat their animals fine, just as I am sure that some don't.

I also don't like the idea that ANYONE can go in and purchase an animal, without any screening; so if little Johnny squished his last hamster~ mom can just go and get him another one.

Just my 2 cents wink
[notify]

Finnegan- (Finney)

Purred: Thu Apr 29, '10 8:16am PST 
Occasionally I do things that touch off debates and this is one of them. Although I don't believe that every Petco or Petsmart abuses their animals, I think that if something is under federal investigation, there has to be some truth to it. Some places treat their animals better than others. The ones in my city seem to be a very good condition but in small glass areas all day. I don't care for that! PETA does some crazy things, I agree. But without them, there would still be much more horrendous things going on this world. That's MY 2 cents.
[notify]

Velcro (In- Loving- Memory)

Fix one save- 1,000 please- spay/neuter!

Purred: Fri Apr 30, '10 3:30pm PST 
Tasha thank you for bringing up that small animals and birds also come from puppy mill type facilities, the same horrible conditions from the same unscrupulous breeders. This is the cast with almost all pet stores that sell live animals with extremely few exceptions. I don't like PeTA at all, I don't like the things they do or their position on companion animals, BUT they are right on this, this isn't a new thing (Petco and Petsmart stores selling sick animals and keeping them in poor conditions). The main Petco corporation actually opposed a bill that would simply make standards of living better for the animals they sold in their stores and would keep them from neglecting absolutely necessary medical care and required them to keep them in clean facilities.

I will say that before I knew better I'd regularly shop at our local Petco store and their animals were kept in clean conditions. BUT, I know for a fact the breeder they get their guinea pigs from is highly disreputable at least, I don't know about the other animals but I'm sure it's the same deal.
[notify]

Tenny

Food is My- Friend

Purred: Mon May 24, '10 2:25pm PST 
I was adopted from a PetSmart. Meowmy didn't like the conditions at all. I didn't have any room and I have very little litter. She came back for me a day later. She initially was going to wait until she got paid, but she couldn't stand thinking of me there.

It was a good thing that she took me straight to the vet -- I had ringworm. We don't know if that was necessarily my foster mommy's fault or if they did not clean out my cage right and I got it from the cat that was previously in there. They did feed me a good food, but it was all dry. I couldn't move around much -- they gave the bigger cage to smaller kittens.
[notify]

Finnegan- (Finney)

Purred: Mon May 24, '10 2:35pm PST 
My mom received this email from Petco today regarding this matter:

Thank you for contacting PETCO regarding your concerns about Sun Pet, Ltd. I am responding to you on behalf of our CEO, Jim Myers. Please know that at PETCO, the health and well being of ALL animals is always our top priority.

About a month ago we learned of a Georgia Department of Agriculture investigation of Sun Pet, a supplier to our company and other pet retailers.

We take these issues and concerns very seriously. We have been in contact with Sun Pet and we are sending members of our PETCO animal care team to thoroughly investigate the allegations and evaluate the facility.

Sincerely,

Greg B.
Customer Relations Manager

I'm not sure if it's just that facility, I doubt it. There are many stores that are indeed very clean and my city is one of them. But I'm sure like any other chain, there are ones that are deplorable! So at least we know so far that this issue is raising serious enough questions that the companies are getting a lot of flack for it. Let's hope something gets done to rectify these situations!
[notify]

Charlie

Purred: Tue May 25, '10 12:39pm PST 
I hope they change. I don't like that they sell small animals to anyone, or where they get them from. I do like Petsmart because they work with the animal shelters to help adopt out cats. I think that's a great idea! The Petsmarts I've been to have always been clean and the cats were in cages that were appropriately sized for them. I've never been upset about how they keep their cats. It'd be great if they weren't in cages, but oh, well.
[notify]

Finnegan- (Finney)

Purred: Tue May 25, '10 3:49pm PST 
I agree Charlie, I think Petsmart is probably better about this stuff because my local one is very, very clean also. They're not in cages but in large, glassed in rooms, which is nicer. Still they could be larger but at least they're clean and the kitties look healthy to me. I don't know about petco. Maybe the reason that Petsmart is under investigation is because they may occasionally use that same company that Petco uses and that's the only reason. Hopefully something will get done now.
[notify]

Oliver - In Loving- Memory

I'm Mom's- special knitting- helper!

Purred: Tue May 25, '10 4:44pm PST 
RE - Petsmart cages - at the Petsmarts that our rescue does adoptions out of, it is the rescue group's responsibility to keep the cages clean, take care of the litterboxes, and take care of food, water, and exercise for the kitties. The Petsmart employees do check on the kitties throughout the day/evening, and we have two "shifts" of kitty exerciser people every day.
We are also to remove any sick cats immediately, and upon adoption clean the cages thoroughly with lemon Quat or bleach water.
[notify]

(Page 1 of 4: Viewing entries 1 to 10)  
Page Links: 1  2  3  4