GO!

declawing requirement legal?

This is a forum to discuss legislation and legal matters pertaining to the rights and welfare of cats. Please remember to counter ideas and opinions with which you don't agree with friendly and helpful advice and responses.

(Page 1 of 2: Viewing entries 1 to 10)  
Page Links: 1  2  

Purred: Tue Jun 5, '07 4:48pm PST 
Is it legal for an apartment complex in FL to require declawing? First of all, I would never do it because it's inhumane. Second, most vets won't do it because it's inhumane. Very few complexes where I live allow pets at all, and the ones that do either require declawing or I can't afford. If this is legal, does anyone have any suggestions. I'd rather pay a higher pet fee than to declaw my cats and I don't want to give up my cats either!
[notify]

Linus- (Dreamboat- #72a)

So many toys, so- little time.

Purred: Tue Jun 5, '07 5:30pm PST 
You might want to see if a potential landlord would be open to the idea of a cat wearing Soft Paws nail caps. I wear them, I can "scratch" but can't do any damage since my nails are capped. They come in many fun colors too. www.softpaws. com Good luck!
[notify]

Arthur (Miss- You!- '93-'09)

Bucket of Fuzz

Purred: Tue Jun 5, '07 9:13pm PST 
I think it is legal...I mean, it's their property, and they have a right to put rules in place that will minimize the risk of damage to the apartment. thinking

Did they say that you have to provide proof of the declawing or will they take your word for it?

I agree with Linus, you can try negotiating for Soft Paws to be allowed as an alternative. You could also try offering to pay more on the security deposit to cover any possible damage. If the building is privately owned, you might have some leeway.

Where in FL are you looking?

Hunter

Lazy, Lazy, Lazy

Purred: Tue Jun 5, '07 11:06pm PST 
I know the difficulties in finding rental properties. I live in an area where many people do not want to rent to people with pets. I have provided a resume for hunter along with the rental applications which seems to be helpful. In the resume I provide references, along with date of vaccines and my vet's name, address and phone number in case they want to contact them. I also provide names of people I have rented with who can give positive feedback to prospective landlords. Adding a cute picture always helps too! You could also get letters of reference from previous landlords about the condition you and your kitties left the property. Maybe providing this info along with declawing info may change their mind about some off the policies they have in place.
[notify]

Thomas~1990-- 2008~

Much Loved--Much- Missed

Purred: Wed Jun 6, '07 8:02am PST 
If it is a private owned complex, then they can impose the rules they like. Where I work we require all pets be fixed, over a year old, and no ferrets. Different places have different rules. I currently have an apartment that will need new carpet when the kids move out as the cat has unravled all the carpet where the seams meet (never seen anything like it-the carpet is ruined). She will be paying $2,500 for carpet. Yikes. It is stuff like that which cause the rest of the pet owners to have to put up with these rules.

I would look into soft paws. I used them for a long time and they are good-you just have to check them to be sure they are still on. Also try a pet resume. Maybe showing you are a responsible owner and offering to cap rather than do declaw, would be ok. Good luck!
[notify]

Diego

I'm bringing- sexy back

Purred: Wed Jun 6, '07 3:07pm PST 
Mom worked in proparty management for 7 years. Though our company never required declawing mom saw lots of other places that did. She would sometimes charge a higher deposit for more than one pet. All the the ideas given here are great. I love Hunter's about the resume, references and a cute photo. If someone handed me that as a landlord it would show that the pet is well cared for and proabably has good manners.

She also said that kids made more of a mess than the pets usually. Except for the time she went into a apartment and found that they had (and I am not kidding) cats, dogs, birds, a PRAIRY DOG, snakes and iguana. The funniest was that the iguana was in the dishwasher clinging to a fork. I guess it liked the humidty.
[notify]

Blade- (2000-2010)

BE RESPONSIBLE,- SPAY AND NEUTER!

Purred: Thu Jun 7, '07 8:33am PST 
I have a friend on Catster (Stony) who's mom recently had to find a new appartment and she was asked to sign the lease which said she was allowed "two declawed cats". She told the woman that she had a moral objection to declawing and that she would not be getting her two cats declawed. She said that she would be prepared to consider Soft Paws but also that she would pay for any damage in the unlikely event that the cats cause any.
The woman scribbled out the declawing part on the lease and let her sign.
Perhaps you could try the same tactic?

Stony says once her mom has formed a better relationship with the letting company she is going to try to get them to change their requirements for declawed cats and use this as an opprtunity to educate.

Edited by author Thu Jun 7, '07 8:36am PST

[notify]

BRUCE (THE- BOSS)

Born to Run &- Born to Moo Boo

Purred: Thu Jun 7, '07 11:19am PST 
Great post Blade and others way to go You have all come up with some really good ideas.

Fluffy

Someone needs a- hug!

Purred: Sat Jun 9, '07 5:08pm PST 
When our mom and dad were looking at apartments one of them told dad we had to be declawed. Dad told them that was NEVER going to happen and why it wasn't, and that he would look elsewhere. The apartment manager actually called him back and said it was okay for us not to be declawed. Sometimes standing up for what you think is right does help.
[notify]

Mosi (In- Memorium)

It's mine!!!

Purred: Sun Jun 10, '07 11:34am PST 
Blade's idea is great. Try negotiating. And maybe a reference from your vet. If you have never had scratching issues the vet can state this in a letter and reasons why it is not necessary to declaw cats. Written references from other landlords stating that was not any damage from you living there is good too. Make sure your mom gets everything in writing in any resulting lease so any agreements are documented.

My mom did a search on the US Humane Society Website and found lots of good info when you do a search for "rental" on their webiste. The links were to long to post, but the humane society main page link is below.

Good luck!

http://www.hsus.org/
[notify]

(Page 1 of 2: Viewing entries 1 to 10)  
Page Links: 1  2