GO!

Cats dissected in high school class rooms

This is a forum to discuss legislation and legal matters pertaining to the rights and welfare of cats. Please remember to counter ideas and opinions with which you don't agree with friendly and helpful advice and responses.

Topic closed to new posts.
(Page 1 of 7: Viewing entries 1 to 10)  
Page Links: 1  2  3  4  5  6  7  
Athena

A clean cat is a- happy cat!

Purred: Thu May 3, '07 11:03am PST 
My mommy is SICK to her tummy. She was just talking to her bosses oldest daughter and she was telling mommy she dissected a cat today in anatomy class..... A CAT. Mommy has heard of frogs...... but CATS!!!!!! shockshockshock My mommy almost lost her lunch. She also went on to tell her they also had a pig uterus full of baby pigs. She was laughing and such till mommy told her to stop talking about it. Mommy asked what she would do if her dog was killed so kids could cut them open in class..... she said "Pooch isn't breed for that"..... she also went to tell mommy she hates cats. Mommy was so shocked. How can they let this happen. I asked where the school got the cats and she said they are breed just for that purpose. crycrycrycrycry Mommy doesn't know what to do. There isn't a law against that? Mommy is going to do some research on this once she comes out of shock. I'm going to go give mommy a massage to ease some tension. RROOOAARRRR...... we're angry!!!!
[notify]

Cleopatra- (angel now)

I'm Cleo,the- ultimate lap cat

Purred: Thu May 3, '07 11:26am PST 
That is sick for real..it's already AN OUTRAGE that school are still diseecting ANY kind of animal and won't get to the alternative way of teaching science and anatomy....but now CATS?!?!?!?!?!?!!?

shockconfusedfrownthinking

I will do some researches too...but what a shame for the educational system!

Edited by moderator Thu May 3, '07 1:47pm PST

Edited by forums moderator

Cleopatra- (angel now)

Purred: Thu May 3, '07 11:28am PST 
I also wanna add.....i don't even wanna try to think where the heck those cats come from...this thought is even scarier than the whole dissection thing...shrug
[notify]

Deuce

Deaf-initely- Cool!

Purred: Thu May 3, '07 11:35am PST 
It is a sad but true fact of our educational system. Unfortunately not all people are as compassionate for the animal kingdom as us catsters. I am 24 years old so I graduated about 6 years ago. My junior year in high school we disected cats in anatomy class too. Although it was a graded assignment in class any student was given the option to not participate for whatever reason. If you chose not to participate the teacher provided you with an alternative assignment such as report or research paper instead. I did elect not to participate on grounds that it was against my morals. My teacher gave me a really hard time about. He told me, "Oh get over it, you are no better than anybody else here. Just suck it up and get it done." I am really glad I chose not to do it. It turns out that 2 of the 6 cats our class was given to disect were pregnant. How sad was that?

What we need to do is raise our children to have better moral fiber than what is normally taught. Teach them to love and respect nature and all it's inhabitants. So when the day comes to disect in class they know what road to choose. Help them stand up for what they believe in. Maybe then.. disecting will become obsolete!

kitty
[notify]

Athena

A clean cat is a- happy cat!

Purred: Thu May 3, '07 12:04pm PST 
Well Cleopatra..... I looked at Animallaw.com under florida and it's legal crycrycry. Why can't they stick to toads.... we have plenty that mommy and daddy have to kill (sorry for any toad lover) in our yard because my dog sister likes to catch them and they make her act wierd and could kill her and my dog brother. Shock has worn off mommy and anger is setting in. My mommy is going to talk to her boss (girls mom) about what she told me. Mommy wouldn't be so mad at the girl but the girl was laughing and such. Her mom is an animal lover and will be sickened by how her duaghter acted. Mommies other boss (girls dad) is a hunter. But he eats what he hunts. I'm just sickened at the school for allowing such silencedsilencedsilenced to go on. I also found a video on PETA's website about how schools get their animals but is wasn't working right.

Deuce- Give your mommy a big tickle kitty kiss for standing for what she believes in. My mommy had to dissect in her science class (which she graduated high school in 94)....shhhhh don't tell her I let the cat out of the bag MOL smile!!!!! They only had frogs back then and she refused to even do them.

Oh kitties..... lets put or paws together and pray stuff like this will stop.
[notify]

Trixie (2001- - 2014)

One manic hammy!

Purred: Thu May 3, '07 1:00pm PST 
Reading this post makes me sad. But it also makes my human think back very fondly on her high school biology teacher. She was a fantastic teacher and she was a true animal lover. She didn't dissect any animals.....just flowers!!!

Edited by author Thu May 3, '07 1:01pm PST

[notify]

Cleopatra- (angel now)

Purred: Thu May 3, '07 1:24pm PST 
Legal eh?

How sadcrycrycrycrycry
[notify]

Luna

Love me, feed- me, let me- sleep!

Purred: Thu May 3, '07 1:51pm PST 
I can't believe that this could be legal! I feel absolutely disgusted by this. I'm upgrading courses right now to become a nurse so I am currently taking Biology. There is NO dissecting of ANY animals in my course. I am an animal lover and have been vegan for over 12 years and wouldn't even dissect a sheeps eyeball back in grade 9 science class! With the technology of today is is completely unneccesary to do this. You can get the same information from an interactive computer program on anatomy and dissection. I've always felt dissection of animals in school to be a cruel old fashioned method of teaching and NEVER EVER have I heard of ANY school using anything other than frogs and pigs. To hear that cats are bred and used just for this purpose makes me so angry. I hope that something can be done to stop this sick practice. How can we call North America a civilized and advanced place when this stuff happens? I thought we loved technology here, why does this happencry
[notify]

Arthur (Miss- You!- '93-'09)

Bucket of Fuzz

Purred: Thu May 3, '07 2:26pm PST 
The cats that are dissected aren't bred for that purpose. The biological supply companies that provide them to the schools generally get them from shelters who euthanize because of overpopulation, or from "bunchers," who get many of them through "Free Kitten" ads.

Just one more reason to spay and neuter. frown

Oliver

Lil Love- Bug-*poot*

Purred: Thu May 3, '07 4:05pm PST 
Mama just wanted me to say she PROUDLY failed science in school because she refused to dissect any animals!!!
If this type of thing is happening in your school district - YOU HAVE A VOICE! (My Mom is a teacher) Go to your PTA/Town Hall meetings and let your voice be heard! Too many people just think they can't control bad things that are happening in our schools - but you can take steps to help change things! Get your fellow parents/community members together to protest!!!! FYI most school admins are afraid of parents!!!! They may just listen to what you have to say! It doesn't matter if it's ok by law - if the parents protest enough, they will be more inclined to STOP!!!!!!!!
Our hearts go out to those poor, poor cats that had to lose their lives for NO REASON. What a waste and tragedy.
Love to you all!
[notify]

(Page 1 of 7: Viewing entries 1 to 10)  
Page Links: 1  2  3  4  5  6  7