GO!

New puppy

Got a new, young, furry love in your life? This is the place for you to ask all of your questions - big or small! Just remember that you are receiving advice from other cat owners and lovers... not professionals. If you have a major problem, always seek the advice of a vet or behaviorist! Most important is to remember to have fun with your new fur baby.

Smokey

Purred: Mon Jul 27, '15 1:16pm PST 
In the beginning of october i began to look for a puppy and i have recently bought one a few month's ago. He is now 5 month's old and i was wondering if it would be okay to bring a kitten/adult cat home to. I have never owned cats and made a post back in winter asking questions about cats and how they did with dog's. Some of you had given advice of waiting for the puppy to be settled in before bringing home a cat/kitten. Then who does smokey belong to you are probably wondering? He belongs to my sister and brother in law who i visit every couple months around the holidays because they live 2 and a half hours away.
[notify]

Shannara

Biscuit Maker

Purred: Fri Jul 31, '15 7:31pm PST 
What breed of pup do you have? If it is a medium to large pup, an adult cat would be able to handle the situation better. If you have a small pup it may be OK to get a kitten, depending on how calm the pup is. Even with a small pup, an adult cat would be more of a good choice, especially if you're getting one from a shelter. Adult cats have a harder time getting adopted -- almost everyone wants a kitten.

Personally, I have always brought in to our home kittens when I have had an adult dog, or bring in a pup when I have had adult cats. You can be more in control and keep things more calmer, assuming you have trained your adult dog or cat to listen to your commands.

Pumpkin

Just rub my- belly......

Purred: Fri Aug 14, '15 7:39pm PST 
Try to get an adult cat that has experienced living with dogs. Adult cats don't adapt easily and a cat can blind a puppy in a single swipe. Otherwise get a small kitten and let them grow up together. I've had adult dogs and then got both adult cats and kittens and the kittens are best friends with the dogs while the adult cat is still not accepting them.
[notify]