GO!

Hi! New to Catster and have a question about kitten fostering

Got a new, young, furry love in your life? This is the place for you to ask all of your questions - big or small! Just remember that you are receiving advice from other cat owners and lovers... not professionals. If you have a major problem, always seek the advice of a vet or behaviorist! Most important is to remember to have fun with your new fur baby.

Purred: Fri Dec 27, '13 11:22am PST 
Hello,
My name is Ally. I'm 14 and my parents and I are going to start fostering orphan kittens! I'm so excited. The kittens are going to stay in my small bedroom in a pen. My question for all of you is how should I set up the pen? I thought maybe we should get a piece of linoleum floor to go under the pen, but my mom said we wouldn't need it if they use a litter box. What do you think? How should I set up a good foster room? Thank you!
[notify]

Tigger

Knead softly &- carry a big purr

Purred: Fri Dec 27, '13 4:30pm PST 
An easy to clean floor would be good, in case any of the kittens have diarrhea or if they throw up. Some nice soft bedding that can be washed, and of course the litter box, water bowl & food bowls. If you have the space, a little scratcher would be good, because even little ones will use it when they get old enough. And some toys. Good for you & your parents for wanting to help these babies! Make sure to take pictures & be sure to come back here to update us all & post those baby pics!
[notify]

Purred: Mon Dec 30, '13 10:02pm PST 
Thank you! I am going to get some vinyl floor this weekend. I have also been saving and buying blankets since I first thought of fostering! The kitties are going to have a very comfy home smile. Do you suggest that I get multiple food/water dishes? Or should one of each be good? Also, do you suggest that I use the non-clumping clay litter (shelter supplies it) or feline pine, I already use the pine litter for other pets. One more question, should we get helping I'd collars? I think it would be a good idea, but I'm not sure if its necessary. Thank you! And I will definitely add pics of the kitties when they come!
[notify]

Kashi

Purred: Thu Jan 9, '14 3:59pm PST 
I'd say you can skip the collars. Unlike dogs cats don't really need collars unless they're allowed outside. Plus kittens grow very very quickly sometimes. For maybe 3-6 kittens one shallow food dish and one shallow water dish should be fine. You want to change the towels and bedding maybe twice a week. It sounds like you'll do finelittle angellittle angellittle angel
[notify]

Purred: Sat Jan 11, '14 3:47pm PST 
Thanks Kashi! I'll skip the id collars. I'm getting ready for the first litter next weekend!hamster dancebig grindancing
[notify]