GO!

Is my 6-month-old kitten coughing?

Got a new, young, furry love in your life? This is the place for you to ask all of your questions - big or small! Just remember that you are receiving advice from other cat owners and lovers... not professionals. If you have a major problem, always seek the advice of a vet or behaviorist! Most important is to remember to have fun with your new fur baby.

Dusty

Garfield Cat

Purred: Sat Oct 19, '13 2:44pm PST 
I have a 6-month-old kitten who sometimes sticks her neck out and it sounds like she's coughing or having an asthma attack or something. She also looks like she's gulping or burping even if she hasn't had anything to eat. This is really hard to describe but does anyone know what I'm talking about? It doesn't happen all the time but I do notice it a couple times a day.
[notify]

Merlin - An Angel- Forever

*Poof*

Purred: Sat Oct 19, '13 4:14pm PST 
Maybe hairballs? thinking

I suggest taking a video of these episode and showing the vet, either by email or at an appointment. Your vet may find a video helpful in determining what the issue is.
[notify]

Fiyero

Mr. Laid-Back

Purred: Sun Oct 20, '13 4:56pm PST 
If the kitten's neck is sticking out, it's probably not hairballs. That's what Fiyero does when he has a coughing fit. He has asthma, but if you catch it early, it's a BREEZE to deal with. He only gets p r e d n i s o n e (and only 2.5 mg at that) when he has issues, and only a couple of doses. You should definitely talk to your vet.

Other things to try: If you have a steam vaporizer (hot or cold, though I prefer hot), put it near wherever the kitten sleeps at night--mine is next to my bed since all 4 of mine think they help keep the boogey man away at night--and plug it in before you go to bed. If the kitten is okay with it, bring her into the bathroom with you when you take a shower. The steam from the shower will also help keep her lungs from getting too dry which can exacerbate such issues. I have the asthmatic one and one with chronic bronchitis, so I pretty much always have at least one showering companion.

Edited to add: who do we have to talk to so that the "p" word, good corticosteroid that it is, can get taken off the "naughty" list and we can type it without all the spaces? It's a little ridiculous.
[notify]

Dusty

Garfield Cat

Purred: Mon Oct 21, '13 7:06am PST 
Thanks so much for your responses. She's now sneezing a bit and didn't really want to eat this morning when she's usually eating like a fiend. She still had a lot of energy last night when my husband played with her and she seems okay otherwise. I'll just watch her and see if it develops into anything and take her to the doctor. Her sister had a URI before I adopted them a month ago and we finished her off with antibiotics.
[notify]