GO!

Meet my Violet!

Got a new, young, furry love in your life? This is the place for you to ask all of your questions - big or small! Just remember that you are receiving advice from other cat owners and lovers... not professionals. If you have a major problem, always seek the advice of a vet or behaviorist! Most important is to remember to have fun with your new fur baby.

Violet

Just a beautiful- flower named- Violet!

Purred: Mon Oct 14, '13 11:43am PST 
Hi, everyone!

As some of you know from the Senior Cat forum, I just had to have my beloved boy Edison put to sleep on 9/26. I'll be 50 next month, and it was the first time in 40 years that I've not had a pet; the apartment was so empty, and it was really just like a shell. There was no life in it. I wasn't planning on getting another cat so soon, but here she is!

On Oct. 5th, I adopted this little doll! I named her Violet, and she's 2 mos. old. All is not perfect, however - I adopted her from a local rescue organization, and honestly, I'm not crazy about how the adoption went down. You see, she's feral, which the girl from the rescue organization didn't really tell me until she was literally getting ready to leave my apartment. It's a longer story than that, but I don't really want to make the whole post about that. As caught off guard (or mislead, however you want to say it) as I was about the adoption, I'm now head over heels in love with this little girl!

So, I've been reading up as much as I can on feral kittens and how to socialize them. I've already spoken to my vet who I took Edison to, and he'll be Violet's doctor too. He said at 2 mos. old, I shouldn't have any real trouble socializing and taming her. Any older and there might be an issue, but since she's still such a baby, I'll really be the only "mommy" she knows as she gets older. I know it takes a lot more time, dedication and patience to socialize a feral kitten, but she's really worth it! You should see her - she's already making amazing progress, and she's very sweet and affectionate.

So I've gotten really great advice from both the vet, and from the shop where I always bought Edison's food (they're a holistic place, and they really really know their stuff - lots of NYers swear by them!). The vet has a special "Kitten Package" of three appointments, shots, boosters, de-worming and bloodwork to check for FIV and Feline Leukemia - and those are the only things that scare the hell out of me. I already love her so much, I just want her to be okay. Of course, if she's not, then she's not. Then she and I will just move forward together, and I'll just care for her and give her the best life I can. However, this coming Saturday at 10:30 AM EST, some prayers for negative bloodwork would be appreciated! smile

I have Edison's ashes home from the vet, too, and I got a lovely urn for him, and now he sits and "watches over" us. I like to think that she'll socialize just fine (she really is coming along so well, especially considering that I've only had her for nine days!), and that her bloodwork will be okay, since I'm convinced Edison sent her my way because I needed her so much after losing him.

Anyway, I just wanted to introduce you to my little girl! I'll have a more complete profile up for her later - she's kind of hard to take pictures of right now, because she's such a wiggle worm, LOL!

XO to all -

Lisa and Violet
[notify]

Tigger

Knead softly &- carry a big purr

Purred: Wed Nov 13, '13 1:23pm PST 
Somehow I missed this, but I did know Edison. I have gotten some of my ferals into adoptive homes as old as 5 months old. One of them, his mom sends me pics & updates all the time, he was such a fraidy-cat, but has turned into the sweetest loveable mellow kitty - she loves him to pieces! Just wanted you to know that I am sure Violet will be great - especially so young, and being a single kitty, she will focus more on you also. I love the name too!cheer
[notify]