GO!

Too young for a cattery?

Got a new, young, furry love in your life? This is the place for you to ask all of your questions - big or small! Just remember that you are receiving advice from other cat owners and lovers... not professionals. If you have a major problem, always seek the advice of a vet or behaviorist! Most important is to remember to have fun with your new fur baby.

Mao mei

Purred: Fri Jun 14, '13 10:49pm PST 
Hi, I'm new here!

About 10 days we found an abandoned 1 week old kitten in the street on our way home (yes, we did wait around for a while to see if the mother would appear and asked around if anyone had seen a mother and other kittens but the kitten seemed pretty thoroughly abandoned, either by her mother or the mother's owners). We live in Shanghai, China and there are thousands upon thousands of abandoned cats and kittens here, so basically if you rescue an animal, you're responsible for them, there are no shelters able to take them and as for finding a lactating mother who might adopt a very young kitten, well, let's just say the vet looked at me pretty blankly! Anyway to cut a long story short, we didn't expect to have a kitten on our hands right now and soon we have to return to the UK for a couple of weeks to attend the wedding of my husband's brother, a pretty unmissable trip I'm sure you'll agree even if the extremely expensive flights hadn't already been booked and paid for. The kitten, Mao Mei ('little sister cat' in Chinese!), will be about 5 weeks old then. Does anyone have any experience of putting such a young kitten in a cattery / boarding kennels? It will be for about 2 weeks. Any and all advice very welcome! Thanks
[notify]

Tigger

Knead softly &- carry a big purr

Purred: Sat Jun 15, '13 1:59pm PST 
I would start calling around. Is there a foster organization that could take her while you are gone? Or a trusted friend that would be able to help you? That is young, but they may take them that young - not really sure. I have been lucky enough to have a family member kitty-sit for me.
ps - she is such a little cutie
[notify]