GO!

Kitten taken too young

Got a new, young, furry love in your life? This is the place for you to ask all of your questions - big or small! Just remember that you are receiving advice from other cat owners and lovers... not professionals. If you have a major problem, always seek the advice of a vet or behaviorist! Most important is to remember to have fun with your new fur baby.

Mittens

Purred: Thu Jun 6, '13 7:03am PST 
Hello,
I have a pretty Persian kitten here with me, that I estimate to be 6 weeks. He doesn't have his pre-molar teeth yet, which is why I think he is way too young.
The kitten got to us from a home breeder (non-professional) through somebody in my family. I pointed out that the kitten is too young, but this person was slow in action. The kitten has been with us since Monday.
He is weaned from milk, but eats very little. He can jump, run and move, but is extremely shy.
The person who got the cat and said would take the responsibility is neglecting the kitten completely, and unfortunately I have a kitten and two puppies myself so I can't take care of him properly.

We have tried to arrange for the kitten to go back to his mother around Sunday or Monday, until he is 12 weeks old, but someone pointed out that the mother will most likely reject the kitten because we have been handling it for around 8-9 days by the time it gets back to the mother.

Does someone have any articles or information about this? I searched but couldn't find anything. I am afraid that the mother will reject her kitten.

Edited by author Thu Jun 6, '13 7:07am PST

[notify]

Beep

Butt-kicker of- all other cats

Purred: Fri Jun 7, '13 8:10pm PST 
I would find someone asap that is prepared to take on the demands of a kitten this young. This sounds like a very irresponsible breeder to let a kitten go that young, and to let them go to someone who was not fully prepared to take on the responsibilities of a kitten that young. Shame on them. The kitten, to me, does not sound like it's thriving. Hopefully you can find someone who has experience with kittens this young. I have never had one that young, I'm not sure I'd know what to do with a baby that little either, I'm not trying to bash you.

Kittens that little are like babies, they need lots of attnetion, food, supervision, especially around dogs and other cats, they should never be left alone with dogs that are not familiar with them. Please find someone to help you with this poor baby.
[notify]

Merlin - An Angel- Forever

*Poof*

Purred: Sat Jun 8, '13 5:50am PST 
Beep, Mittens said that the kitten came from a "home breeder (non professional)". I guess that means backyard breeder where people are just in it to make money and not care about the welfare of the animals they are producing in large quanities shrug The "Persian" kitten may not even be a true Persian or may be inbred so much that there may be genetic issues that may not show up later in life.

Yes, the kitten was take too soon away from the mom. I would not let the kitten go back to that breeder person at all. If you can't feed the kitten a milk replacer until it is fully weaned and eating solid food, I suggest calling around to shelters and rescues and asking them for help. Kittens are a lot of work. Those that aren't fully weaned need to be given milk replacer every few hours or so.
[notify]

Purred: Thu Jun 13, '13 7:43am PST 
The kitten, to me, does not sound like it's thriving. Hopefully you can find someone who has experience with kittens this young. I have never had one that young, I'm not sure I'd know what to do with a baby that little either, I'm not trying to bash you.
[notify]

Phoebe

Purred: Sat Jun 15, '13 7:34am PST 
I got my kittens at 7 weeks old (siblings) but we have had almost no problems with them. If you really need help even calls a vet. They can help or show you how to take care of the kitten. Poor little boy. Mine were just from a person who found the pregnant cat. Sometimes even shelters will take the kitten for a short time to get it nursing and healthy again and then you can bring her home. What would worry me the most is kittens learn everything from there mothers and siblings, and even their emotional development is not complete. I wish you good luck.
[notify]