GO!

Having Accidents

Got a new, young, furry love in your life? This is the place for you to ask all of your questions - big or small! Just remember that you are receiving advice from other cat owners and lovers... not professionals. If you have a major problem, always seek the advice of a vet or behaviorist! Most important is to remember to have fun with your new fur baby.

Bubbles

Because I'm a- lady, that's- why.

Purred: Wed Jun 5, '13 10:29am PST 
Hi everyone! wave

So, I've had my little baby Bubbles since May 31st and she has been a real cutie. I got her very young (6 weeks today I believe) because when she started to eat solid food, her mother would stay gone from the home for hours, so the owners of the mother agreed to letting me receive her early, in fear that the strictly outdoors mother cat would disappear.

So, I have little Bubbles and I have confined her to my room to minimize the chances of potty accidents. Her litterbox is an open, basic plastic pan. It is filled 3/4 of the way with clay litter. The first day I put her in the box and helped her scratch, she immediately relieved herself. I fed her first meal of that day, and after eating she pooped in the box all by herself.

But she won't "bury" her poop. I didn't think that was a big deal, since I'd rather it be in the box.

Last night, my boyfriend and I were playing with her on the bed(we were dangling her ribbon mouse from a string). When she got bored and left, she just squatted down on my comforter and peed. shock Not cool...

My boyfriend said it might have been a legit accident since she is so little. She might have got caught up in play and couldnt make it to the box. I scolded her and put her in the litterbox, making her scratch. Then, I petted her and crooned.

Well, this morning I picked up my boyfriend's jeans off the floor (men!) and the smell of cat pee hit me.confused Bubbles had made a visit or two to his jeans and just peed. A foot away from her litterbox at that!

I don't understand why she is having accidents. I periodically make her visit her litterbox each day, help her scratch, and praise. She also seems to understand the concept completely well, since no pooping accidents have occurred. Just two incidents, which I cleaned up with white vinegar (except my blankets, they are in the wash with my man's jeans), but the general area gets cleaned up to prevent future accidents.

Is there anything I am doing wrong? Is it because her young age that she has accidents?

I always keep a dish of freshwater for her too.
[notify]

Merlin - An Angel- Forever

*Poof*

Purred: Wed Jun 5, '13 5:04pm PST 
Here are litter box help and tricks: http://catinfo.org/?link=litterbox

Is the clay litter scoopable? If not, you need to change it to scoopable. Non scoppable clay litter absorbs urine and gets really gross and stinky really fast.

If you are using scoopable litter, try using Kitten Attract litter. You can put an inch layer or so on top of the scoopable litter. You can even use Kitten Attract as a stand alone litter.

Can you confine the kitten to the bathroom at night and when you aren't home? thinking Bathrooms are pretty easy to clean if an accident happens
[notify]

Bubbles

Because I'm a- lady, that's- why.

Purred: Wed Jun 5, '13 7:14pm PST 
It is scoopable clay, and I dip her litter box twice a day. The little scamp might need some of the Kitten Attract... I will be making a trip down to the pet store to see if they have any.

I can't really keep her in the bathroom... It is a high traffic area, with three people who work 6 days a week getting up in the mornings. I'm afraid she'd get underfoot. My room isn't easy to clean, but it is the safest at the moment. laugh out loud

She has done much better today, but I'm still wary of accidents. I wish the laundry room was more accessible (it is incredibly small) but I may be able to put her in there for awhile. I think we will buy the Kitten Attract litter and see if that helps. Any more accidents and I will set her up in the laundry room.

Thanks Merlin big grin
[notify]

Beep

Butt-kicker of- all other cats

Purred: Thu Jun 6, '13 5:12am PST 
I would first say, you need to get some Nature's Miracle, or some other enzymatic cleaner to get the pee smell out of the comforter and anywher else kitten has peed, or it will continue to go there. No clothes or blankets or anything on the floor either, since he is wanting to take to peeing on something soft. I had recently hear that someone tried putting one of those dog wee pads in the bottom of a litter box, with just a small amount of litter....so that the cat would know that it was the litter box, and that might help.

My thinking is this, the kitten is too young, and not trained enough to be given free fun of the house. I know you said the bathroom is off limits. What would be ideal here would be a large, or large enough crate, one that would hold a small litter box and and a place for kitty to sleep and have water.....which it will undoubtedly knock over, so it you'll have to make sure and check a lot that kitten has water. Trying the cat attract litter is probably a good idea. Do you know someone who has a dog crate that they are not using? You just have to make sure it is not one of those super large ones with large bars that a cat can get stuck in, that would be awful. Look on craigslist, people are always getting rid of crates. This is a temporary solution, but I think it is what you need to do now. Put kitten in the crate while you can't watch it. Then, start a food routine, that way it is easier to establish regular bathroom habits, and you know when kitty needs to go. Most cats have schedules, they eat, they go to the bathroom, they go at regular times. So once you can figure out when they are going to go, that makes it a little easier. My kitten Stephano, he does everything like clockwork. I let him out of his room in the morning, first, he scratches his cardboard scratcher right outside his door. Then he mews the entire time that I am dishing out his food. He eats his food in the den, away from his brother Taffy, otherwise he will eat Taffy's food too when he is done big grin and then he promptly goes to the litter box in the den. You can bet money on him, he does the same thing every day. My cats eat wet food, small meals, divided up 3 x a day. The two older cats get a small few spoonfulls of wet in the evening, Stephano is a growing kitten, so he gets a bigger meal than the others, his biggest one before bedtime. (it helps keep him from waking us up at 3:00 in the morning). If you want the most optimum health for your kitten, you would be wise to start him/her on a wet food diet. It is not as easy and convenient as dry food, but it is much healthier than free feeding kibble, which leads to obesity, can lead to diabetes and kidney problems down the road. Kittens eat a lot, they are hungry constanty, and it will be a pain in the you know what to feed them canned food several times a day, but trust me, it will make you life easier down the road when you are not having to go to the vet for all sorts of health issues that a dry diet will cause. www.catinfo.org is a GREAT website to read about this.

And don't scold the kitten. He doesn't know any better at this point, it would be like scolding a baby for an accident. You just have to catch them before it happens, or even in the middle of it, if he is peeing/pooping, scoop him up quickly and put him in the litter box and praise the heck out of him for it. And when he goes on his own, praise him, maybe even offer a little food as a treat. Cats are not like dogs, you can't stick their nose in it, or yell at them, they will not get it at all and it will just cause other problems down the road and lead to them being scared of you.

I would see if you can locate a crate, big enough for a litter box and a blanket or small kitty bed...you can get them for $5-7 at Dollar General or Family Dollar, btw, and kitty is in there until it learns that the litter box is for peeing, not the bed or clothes. Let kitty have lots of play time out of the crate, obviously, but when you are not around, it would be in the crate. There are too many dangers in the house anyway, at this age, for a kitten this small, so this would not be cruel to do, but keep the kitten safe from all sorts of dangers. Eating something poisonous, falling out of a window, chewing electrical wires, getting out of the house...there are so many possibilities that a kitten that age could get harmed.

Best of luck with the new baby! You will get through this aggravating baby stage. Well, the shenanigans and curtain climbing will continue for a little while, but that goes with having a baby kitty.
[notify]