GO!

how to introduce new kitten to rest of house

Got a new, young, furry love in your life? This is the place for you to ask all of your questions - big or small! Just remember that you are receiving advice from other cat owners and lovers... not professionals. If you have a major problem, always seek the advice of a vet or behaviorist! Most important is to remember to have fun with your new fur baby.

Purred: Fri May 31, '13 6:35am PST 
Hello,

I am a first time cat owner and very new to having a kitten around the house (always owned dogs). My fiance and I rescued a kitten, Caius, from a shelter this past wednesday and we have no other pets except a few fish. The shelter said to leave the cat confined to one foom for two weeks to help him get adjusted to his new home, and they said there is another reason for it too, but I honestly forget (they also said that the kitten will maybe be more prone to accidents if he has reign to the entire house too fast). The first day he seemed very scared in his new room, but yesterday was 100% fine with it and us. He comes to the door when we get there, is very social, playing, eating and knows his litter location with zero accidents so far. We live in a two bedroom apartment so there are no stairs or anything that the cat would have to traverse to get anywhere else in the house, but I feel like two weeks is a long time based on how confortable he feels already. Experienced cat owners, what are your recommendations to how much longer I should wait before allowing him to see the rest of the apartment, and what other suggestions do you have for what I can do to make Caius feel comfrotable in his new home...again never owned a cat before and I only really know how to handle puppies...what are VERY different as you may know.
[notify]

Purred: Fri May 31, '13 6:49am PST 
the kitten is approximatly 12 weeks old FYI.
[notify]

Kiki

Attack!!

Purred: Wed Jun 5, '13 7:54am PST 
If he's starting to feel comfortable around you and confident in his space, I would try to give him more reign over the house. Especially if he isn't hiding or acting too scared. Try to introduce him one room at a time if you can. It only took about a whole day for Kiki to get used to the room and want to explore more.
[notify]