GO!

My boyfriend rescued a kitten, now what?

Got a new, young, furry love in your life? This is the place for you to ask all of your questions - big or small! Just remember that you are receiving advice from other cat owners and lovers... not professionals. If you have a major problem, always seek the advice of a vet or behaviorist! Most important is to remember to have fun with your new fur baby.

Purred: Fri Sep 28, '12 10:36pm PST 
Ok, so my boyfriend, who is NOT a cat person, rescued a kitten who was in the middle of a busy road during a storm. He looked and couldn't find any more kittens or a mommy cat. It is small, its eyes are a grey-ish blue and it meows a lot until I hold it close and then it closes its eyes and purrs.

Anyway, so I have a few questions. I've never had a kitten this young, and truth be told, I've only owned 2 cats in my life, but both were older when I got them. This kitten does know how to use the litter box as far as going and covering it up, it eats canned food but I'm not sure if I'm supposed to be feeding it cats formula or not? I have a friend who rescues animals and she said based on the pics I sent her and the description of her behavior, she seems to be about 4-5 weeks old, and that its natural for them to start feeding solid foods, but then she went on vacation so I haven't been able to find out more info, haha. I have a cat, who doesn't want anything to do with this kitten. She hisses at it and growls at it and hasn't been around me since we've had the kitten home (2 days now) like she's mad. We also have a pug who wants to eat the cute little kitten it seems. While the pug is used to my cat (who is already an adult when we moved in with my boyfriend and his pug) the pug has never seen a kitten before.

Also, its nose is dry, I only noticed it tonight so I'm not sure if it is constantly dry, but it seems to have a place on its nose where its almost like peeling skin, very small.

It isn't injured, it is one lucky kitten. It was kinda dehydrated when he first brought it home, we watered it in increments so if it was dehydrated it wouldn't overload. It goes to the bathroom regularly, after being here for 2 days it went from hiding and hissing at everyone to purring when I hold it and even meowing sometimes until I pick it up and then it will close its eyes and purr and fall asleep on me. We have a stuffed animal in a box that it sleeps with on towels and it seems to enjoy cuddling with that when it does go to sleep.

I'm not sure if i'm doing anything wrong, so I wanted any advice as I've never had a kitten this small before. It does climb and jump on things fine, a little too fine, haha. Its so cute and the kids and I would like to keep it, but sometimes I see my cat and the dog's reaction and I think it would have a better home with another family sometimes, so I'm torn on whether or not to keep it, the boyfriend adamantly states he doesn't want to keep it as we already have 2 pets. So, I'm not sure if we will keep it, but at this point I am just looking for advice, tips, anything someone can give because I'm new in the kitten care department. Thanks in advance!
[notify]

Monster

It's all about- me.

Purred: Sat Sep 29, '12 7:55am PST 
You're doing very well with the kitten. Until you've taken it to the vet to be checked out, which you should do soon to have it tested for parasites and dewormed, keep it separated from your other cat. You don't want to risk passing any diseases to her. If you keep the kitten, it needs to be tested for feline leukemia and feline aids, which can't be done til it's at least 8 weeks old. For information on how to introduce it to your cat and dog, go to the ASPCA website and read their behavior pages.
[notify]