GO!

Oh dear ... kitten in heat ...

Got a new, young, furry love in your life? This is the place for you to ask all of your questions - big or small! Just remember that you are receiving advice from other cat owners and lovers... not professionals. If you have a major problem, always seek the advice of a vet or behaviorist! Most important is to remember to have fun with your new fur baby.

Nova

Purred: Sun Jul 1, '12 12:59am PST 
Now, before you all get angry at me: the vet told me to wait to get her de-sexed because we were moving house twice in six weeks and that would be stressful enough for her. I have her booked in for next week to get spayed ... unfortunately, nature has had other ideas.

I feel so bad for the poor little thing, she's wandering around howling and presenting herself to everything from a bag of potatoes to a chair. I know she must be uncomfortable; is there anything I can do to make her feel a bit better until it passes?

Also, how long after she goes on heat til I can get her de-sexed? I'll probably just have to call the the vet and ask whether we need to reschedule but it would be nice to get it over and done with!

Any help would be great, thank you!
[notify]

Jill- Teagarden

Furrever Homes- Rock!!!

Purred: Sun Jul 1, '12 7:28am PST 
A kitten in heat can be spayed, just call the vet and tell them, as they must know this before the surgery. They just need to know before what to expect. And don't worry, I won't fuss because you waited. Moving twice within six weeks is enought stress for you AND the cat, what is important is that she will be spayed.

Good luck, and keep us posted......

The New Orleans Kittieswave
[notify]

Nova

Purred: Fri Jul 6, '12 5:55pm PST 
Well I spoke to the vet surgery and getting her de-sexed while in heat costs about twice as much ... I'm not that rich, unfortunately. frown But good news is I don't have to reschedule the surgery and she went off season again after a couple of days (and very little sleep by all parties).

It's nice to have my playful, noisy kitten back without the howling and knowing she's totally uncomfortable! And this time next week I'll have a sore kitty with a cone head. confused
[notify]

Jill- Teagarden

Furrever Homes- Rock!!!

Purred: Fri Jul 6, '12 7:39pm PST 
Sorry, did not realize your vet would charge extra to spay a kitten in heat. Certainly understand it being a financial burden. Here in the greater New Orleans area, June is "Fix a Feline Month"....vets who participate offer spay/neuter services for $10.00 for "owned" cats and free for Ferals. And there is a Foundation that offers spay/neuter services for cats and dogs for only $25.00. This was started after Hurricane Katrina, and they have taken care of about 55,000 THOUSAND cats and dogs. But glad her first heat cycle was so short, know how stressful it can be for cat and humans.

Keep us posted, she is a precious kitten.

The New Orleans Kittiesway to go
[notify]

Batfink

Purred: Sun Jul 8, '12 2:05am PST 
Hello!

Hope things are getting less stressful for you and you little girl!
Youve made the right descision waiting to get her spayed,moving home twice was bound to have been hard! there is no problem really as she still young, and as long as there are no neighbourhood males sniffing about im sure she will be fine.
Just wanted to add a thought, we had a female when i was younger and she would keep me up all night yowling rubbing licking etc.She came into heat the week before she was due to be spayed , nightmare really. I obviously fussed over her quite alot ....that goes without saying, but something that helped was having a heated pad, hot water bottle bed for her,not boiling hot of course just warm enough to make it cosy, it seemed to relax her and make her feel comfortable.

Hope you are well. xx
[notify]