GO!

The Naming Of Cats

Got a new, young, furry love in your life? This is the place for you to ask all of your questions - big or small! Just remember that you are receiving advice from other cat owners and lovers... not professionals. If you have a major problem, always seek the advice of a vet or behaviorist! Most important is to remember to have fun with your new fur baby.

(Page 3 of 3: Viewing entries 21 to 30)  
1  2  3  
Rocky

The Rockstar

Purred: Tue Jun 5, '12 6:26pm PST 
My purr mom let the two crazy non fur children name me and my brothers. I got my name first don't think there is any reason behind it but I like it. It suits my personality. My brother Boulder is gray and when he curls up looks like a boulder. And we were found in October so Spook has a Haloweenish name. We all come to Keke though. laugh out loud
[notify]

Smokey

I\\\'m A Dallas- Cowboy Fan Too!

Purred: Wed Jun 6, '12 3:58am PST 
One day, this lady drove in my driveway. I was just leaving the barn. She got out of the car, with this little kitten in her arms. She says, I just found this kitten, wandering down the road, is she yours?

No I said, all my barn cats are here, and none are kittens.

She says, I can't keep her, will you take her? (remember these words, this is exactly what she said, anything sound fishy yet, didn't dawn on me at the time)

Then she says, your not going to hurt her are you? Well gee, thats like asking Father Knows Best if he is going to hurt his kids, I am more than well known, on the road, as being overly pickey about my horses and taking in stray cats. (another hint, didn;t dawn on me at the time)

The lady handed her to me. The kitten reached out her little arms to the lady. I said, I think she would rather stay with you, are you sure you can't keep her. The lady never looked back, just got in her car and left.

I put her in the barn, she was real little, then I noticed, she was well fed, and well groomed, long hair kitten. I am thinking someone has to have owned her, she is too well cared for. They way they drive on this country back road, someone would have hit her, or the coyotes would of got her, or she would have burrdocks in her fur.

I watched the paper for weeks, no one reported her missing, she had to belong to someone, she was too well fed, too well groomed.

My theory is, she belonged to that lady, and for whatever reason, the lady couldn;t keep her, and that lady was trying to find her a home. She looks Maine Coon, but she has a Persian type head, maybe an oops breeding. How would the lady know she is a girl, if she just found her, who would even look, if your trying to find who she belongs too. Why would the lady say she can't keep her, if she was trying to find out who she belongs to.

I named her Smokey, after my first show horse, when I was a kid. His name was Gunsmoke McCue, he was a top halter horse, pretty much could not be beat, and he went back to Peter McCue, for those that are familiar with Quarter Horse, because she looked gray, and the lady brought her to my barn. The vet said she was about 12 weeks old, and yes, very well cared for.
[notify]

Butters

BUTTERS! Heard- ALOT around the- home

Purred: Fri Jun 8, '12 1:39pm PST 
All of mine are named after food: CHicken Butters, Pickles, Frankie(furter)and Monkey (Not food)
[notify]

Nandi

Purring Machine

Purred: Fri Jun 8, '12 10:01pm PST 
We named ours after a few days to a week of observation after we adopted them from the local humane society. My Nandi.....we ended up settling on that because she was a bit of a bull and stubborn (still is) and she had the dot as if she was Indian or Hindu...and our Miss Isabelle....she's definitely our little princess and Miss Priss....It just took us a couple days to a week of observation and interaction to determine what fit them just right....
[notify]

Maia

"Meeeee?"

Purred: Sat Jun 9, '12 2:08pm PST 
My name at the shelter was Thelma, which New Mom didn't like at all. Since I was adopted in the month of May, she changed my name to Maia.
[notify]

Cactus Jack

Purred: Tue Jul 10, '12 6:44am PST 
I was named Cactus Jack because I was found in a cactus patch!

As for my new brothers and sister:

Toby has a double meaning name. It is short for Toblerone, but also the name of the baby from Labyrinth.

Kiki is named after Kiki's Delivery Service.

Quincy came with his name from the cat rescue place, but it suits him.
[notify]

Claude- Hoppurr

Claude NOT- Clod!!!

Purred: Mon Jul 16, '12 7:35pm PST 
I was named because of my weird paw configuration! I have wide paws in front(5 toes on each paw) and extra toes in back (5 on each paw). Mumma says I am rear-wheel drive! It is rare for the polydactyl trait to appear only on the rear paws!
(and it's Claude NOT Clod!)laugh out loud

Edited by author Mon Jul 16, '12 7:39pm PST

[notify]

Mimi

I love people

Purred: Fri Jul 20, '12 3:13pm PST 
In my family normally the person who is getting the animal names the animal. My girl named me Mimi because my original name was Susun and she thought that it did not fit me.
[notify]

Sterling

Go Gently Into- the Night

Purred: Sat Jul 21, '12 4:23pm PST 
Mom named me Sterling because of the silver sheen of my fur. She couldn't very well call me Silver, 'cause people would think of "Hi Ho Silver!" and I am definately NOT the Lone Ranger's horse, nor am I white.

"Sterling" silver. kitty

♥ Pippie ♥

Dad says i sound- like a seagull- :/

Purred: Tue Jul 31, '12 11:10am PST 
Well lets see.. Pippie actually came from a stuffed penguin mommy has so when she seen that i was a tuxie she atomatically called me Pippie! Also the fact that dad says that my mew sounds like a seagull mom agrees hehe
[notify]

(Page 3 of 3: Viewing entries 21 to 30)  
1  2  3