GO!

The Naming Of Cats

Got a new, young, furry love in your life? This is the place for you to ask all of your questions - big or small! Just remember that you are receiving advice from other cat owners and lovers... not professionals. If you have a major problem, always seek the advice of a vet or behaviorist! Most important is to remember to have fun with your new fur baby.

(Page 1 of 3: Viewing entries 1 to 10)  
Page Links: 1  2  3  
Emily

Purred: Sat Jun 2, '12 6:27pm PST 
How do your cats get their names? Do you change names? Who names them?

Here are mine:

Emily: I wanted to choose the name before the cat so I picked girl name I like. It is unusual for a cat.
Patricia: Dad suggested Pat the Cat. My sister did not like that idea, so she said the full girl's name.
Wilbur: He came with this name and I love it. I do not know why the shelter picked that one, but who cares?
[notify]

Pandora

go getter kitter

Purred: Sat Jun 2, '12 7:57pm PST 
Meowma waits for some really weird idea to get in her head before naming kittens here-- a litter of seven got named after Camelot/Knights of Round Table characters--Arthur, Guinevere, Sir Galahad, Sir Lncalot, Morganna, Lady of the Lake (Lolly) and Merlin.
Current 3 Bombay kittens were named after famous gorillas, cause meowma says baby Bombay
look just like teeny go-rillers. Koko( famous cat loving Gorilla girl who uses American sign language) , Mighty Joe Young anf of course King Kong. laugh out loud
[notify]

Emily

Purred: Sat Jun 2, '12 8:56pm PST 
I like Koko for a black cat, but the name would be purrfect for a rumpy Manx. Koko said she wanted a tailless cat because she had no tail.
[notify]

Demon

now a total- sweetheart

Purred: Sat Jun 2, '12 9:06pm PST 
My sister (Angel) was really sweet and let our humans pet her and feed her. I (Demon) was a true feral kitten who hissed and spit, swiped and lunged at our humans. Our mama was reading some book and thought the words in the title fit our personalities.

Our little sister Gidget got her name because she is a girl and has short legs (girl + midget = Gidget). There's some movie with the same name.

Our baby brother was the most friendly kitten in his litter, so our humans called him Casper - the friendly kitten.

Our baby sister was one of two tabbies in her litter, and our humans dropped the 'T' on 'tabby' and thought the name Abby fit her sweet personality (Abigail is her 'formal name').

Mama had a kitten once that she named Snowball because he was all white. She also had a blue/gray Maine Coon kitten named Miranda (because she liked the name). Then there were Salt and Pepper, a couple of Siamese kittens from when mama was a kid.
[notify]

Kiki

You... Treats...- Now...

Purred: Sun Jun 3, '12 7:56am PST 
I got my name because I answered to it.
My son Jack got his name because he was born around the time of the Titanic movies, and there was another member of the litter named Rose.
Kosuteh got her name because that's the name of her daddy's toon on WoW.
[notify]

Kosmo

Sharp Dressed- Man

Purred: Sun Jun 3, '12 10:54am PST 
I got my name cause Mom thought it was pretty cosmic how I came into her life i.e. by accident...or was it? She decided to spell it with a 'K' because she and her brother have a longstanding inside joke about the letter 'K.' I came from mom's friend and already had the name 'Riley' but mom thought that was a silly name for a cat!

My brother Toro got his name for a few reasons:

1. He kicks his feet on the ground like a bull when he gets petted.
2. He's black-and-white like a cow/bull.
3. He has a mask like a Mexican wrestler!

Toro was named 'Nutterbutter' at the shelter and again, mom thought that was a ridiculous name for a cat!
[notify]

Toro

Who is that- masked man?

Purred: Sun Jun 3, '12 1:23pm PST 
Here's what T.S. Eliot had to say about the naming of cats (which a lot of us have read before):

'The Naming of Cats'

The Naming of Cats is a difficult matter,
It isn't just one of your holiday games;
You may think at first I'm as mad as a hatter
When I tell you, a cat must have THREE DIFFERENT NAMES.
First of all, there's the name that the family use daily,
Such as Peter, Augustus, Alonzo or James,
Such as Victor or Jonathan, George or Bill Bailey--
All of them sensible everyday names.
There are fancier names if you think they sound sweeter,
Some for the gentlemen, some for the dames:
Such as Plato, Admetus, Electra, Demeter--
But all of them sensible everyday names.
But I tell you, a cat needs a name that's particular,
A name that's peculiar, and more dignified,
Else how can he keep up his tail perpendicular,
Or spread out his whiskers, or cherish his pride?
Of names of this kind, I can give you a quorum,
Such as Munkustrap, Quaxo, or Coricopat,
Such as Bombalurina, or else Jellylorum-
Names that never belong to more than one cat.
But above and beyond there's still one name left over,
And that is the name that you never will guess;
The name that no human research can discover--
But THE CAT HIMSELF KNOWS, and will never confess.
When you notice a cat in profound meditation,
The reason, I tell you, is always the same:
His mind is engaged in a rapt contemplation
Of the thought, of the thought, of the thought of his name:
His ineffable effable
Effanineffable
Deep and inscrutable singular Name.
[notify]

Patricia

The Old Lady

Purred: Sun Jun 3, '12 2:23pm PST 
That poem is where I got the thread title from, obviously.

While reading it, I was thinking about how it sounds on stage.

I have thought many times about what to name future cats. One idea is using a name with the letters M and O for a classic tabby, which has those letters on its fur coat.
[notify]

Coopurr

I still suck my- thumb...

Purred: Sun Jun 3, '12 2:39pm PST 
I've always changed mine. Coopurr, who weighs fourteen pounds now and is on a diet to lose two pounds, was named "Teeny Tiny" in the shelter as a kitten. He's named after Anderson Cooper. It took him about six months to realize what his name was, but he was still a baby when I brought him home.

And it does suit him. He's such a lovie, so it's all about Coooo-ing and Purring with him. But for the most part, EVERYONE calls him Coop!

Felix, my bridge baby, learned his new name in about a week. He was two when I adopted him and had two previous names. He was "Sweet Pea" when I got him. And he was very sweet...if he liked you. And he liked most people, but there were a couple of friends of mine that just made him hiss.

Felix was named after Baron Felix Von Gaigern, a character in my favorite musical "Grand Hotel." I named him in homage to the late actor who played the part in the original production on Broadway.

So both of my cats have been named after quasi-celebrities! MOL!

Purrs,
Coop's Mom
[notify]

Toro

Who is that- masked man?

Purred: Sun Jun 3, '12 10:23pm PST 
Ah, all these stories about how cats here got their names are great! And yeah, T.S. Eliot's poem is so good and bears repeating : )

My friend mentioned she wanted to name her next cat 'Patio' which I think is so cute...Patio the cat-io!
[notify]

(Page 1 of 3: Viewing entries 1 to 10)  
Page Links: 1  2  3