GO!

Kittens playing aggressively ?

Got a new, young, furry love in your life? This is the place for you to ask all of your questions - big or small! Just remember that you are receiving advice from other cat owners and lovers... not professionals. If you have a major problem, always seek the advice of a vet or behaviorist! Most important is to remember to have fun with your new fur baby.

Purred: Mon Nov 14, '11 2:47pm PST 
Hello,

I'm new to Catster and new to kittens. I have two kittens , a male (16 weeks) and female (14 weeks).
I brought them home together, and they are quite playful and close. I've only had them home for 5 days. but they've gotten comfy quite quickly and play A LOT.
However the boy is MUCH larger than the girl (he's possibly double her size, she's small), and today for the 1st time while they were play-fighting he got rough with her and she clearly didn't like it, she shrieked and ran away from him. this happened twice today. Is this normal ? I'm worried about him unknowingly hurting her. He's not aggressive and it quite socialized and sweet. But he's playing aggressivley and it's starting to bother her. Should I worry about this ? cry
[notify]

Purred: Tue Nov 15, '11 5:42pm PST 
Anyone please? I just want to ensure their safety...also off-topic I signed up but am not quite sure why I keep getting posted as a guest thinking I don't see the option to post as a user.
[notify]

Ralphie & Randy

Purred: Wed Nov 16, '11 9:38am PST 
In my limited experience, they figure out their limits and learn to communicate with one another. If she's running away and shrieking, he'll learn that he's crossing a line and being too rough. I would supervise their play sessions for a while to make sure she is able to always get away from him if she wants and that neither of them are getting injured, but it doesn't sound worrisome to me. Kitten play seems so violent and not fun at all, but that's how they play!

Randy came home as a 10-11 week old kitten after having been very ill and in isolation at the animal hospital. Once he was out of home isolation after another week, we were quite worried about his interactions with 9-month old Ralphie. Randy was so tiny and not at full strength, but full of pent-up energy and really anxious to play. We watched them closely for a few days until we were sure that Randy could wrestle out of a headlock if he wanted, and then we just let them go for it. They both initiate these crazy wrestling matches and high-speed chases, and if one of them has had enough, he might duck under a chair or table or bat the other one in the head with a paw. They will sometimes collapse next to each other for a nap once they're both worn out. It's been fun watching them learn to communicate with one another, and even more fun now that they know each other well and are more evenly matched in size.

Did you upload a picture? I think you have to do that before it will register you as a user instead of a guest.
[notify]

Purred: Wed Nov 16, '11 10:28am PST 
Thank you so much Ralphie and Randy. I feel more comfy about it. YI think the boy has actually got the point and has started playing a little less aggressively with her smile she's much smaller but seems to hold her own and has a somewhat stronger personality.

Thanks for the info on the posts,I've taken lots of photos of the cuties but have yet to upload them onto my computer.will do this evening. hopefully I'll get to learn a lot from this community as time goes by.
[notify]

Smudge

I am the Love- Monster.

Purred: Wed Nov 16, '11 12:24pm PST 
I wouldn't worry about it a bit. Babies are babies. Sounds like your wee lad is discovering that he has an unfair advantage and if he wants to continue to have a playmate he needs to lighten up. big grin

They sound healthy and lovely and I can't wait to see pics.

Cheers!
[notify]

Tink the Cat

Never met a- mouse I didn\'t- bat!

Purred: Wed Nov 16, '11 5:48pm PST 
I have seen kittens playing really rough, but if you watch, they may run, but they come back for more!!
It's true, they are learning the limits of their companions, and it can get quite rough. If they draw blood, it's serious & they need to be supervised. Ifr not, let 'em go! They'll learn & will be well-socialized because of it, and able to get along with other animals. It's distressing, but the only other answer is to separate them, or "time out" for five minutes when it gets too bad.
Bullying, though, is another matter & they need to have time outs for this. They need to learn not to pick on kitties smaller than them.
kitty
[notify]

Smudge

I am the Love- Monster.

Purred: Wed Nov 16, '11 8:20pm PST 
Well said, Tink.
[notify]

Tigger

Knead softly &- carry a big purr

Purred: Thu Nov 17, '11 10:44am PST 
I worried about that too when I got Smitty. Now they tackle each other all the time. When they get a little overboard, I usually say sharply "hey, play nice" and they break & then regroup for more! And welcome to Catster!! welcome
[notify]