GO!

Mummy cat biting the babies

Got a new, young, furry love in your life? This is the place for you to ask all of your questions - big or small! Just remember that you are receiving advice from other cat owners and lovers... not professionals. If you have a major problem, always seek the advice of a vet or behaviorist! Most important is to remember to have fun with your new fur baby.

Babygirl

Purred: Tue Nov 8, '11 7:00am PST 
My cat babygirl gave birth to her kittens 4 weeks ago, I've started to let them out the box for a wonder round and they seem to enjoy it. When they get a bit to playful with eachother she'll bite them, it doesn't look hard, the sort of bite she does to me when we're play fighting and I'm just wondering if that's normal. When they're walking round the box she'll watch them and the pounce on them like they was a mouse or something, she'll then bite and hit them with her paw, again it doesn't look like she's doing it in a nasty way. Just wondering if anyone else's mum cats do that. cheer
[notify]

Tink the Cat

Never met a- mouse I didn\'t- bat!

Purred: Tue Nov 8, '11 11:26am PST 
She's establishing the mommydom that she needs to teach them all the things they need to know. She's not being mean, just letting them know who's in charge and when they've overstepped the limits. The momma will also teach them how to get along with other cats and how to hunt and catch prey. So there are some subtle lessons going on and there will also be some complicated ones. When they learn how to get along, they are referred to as "well-socialized". Keep up the good work, babygirl!!cheer
[notify]

Babygirl

Purred: Tue Nov 8, '11 11:44am PST 
Thank you smile it's good to know she's just being a good mummy and not doing it to be mean. Everytime she bites them she then licks them and if they start getting too playful she does it again. I love watching her with them, I think it's amazing. Its unbelievable how quick they've grown in just 4 weeks. I won't wanna give them away when the time comes lol smile
[notify]