GO!

Getting a 12 wk old kitten, have a litterbox question

Got a new, young, furry love in your life? This is the place for you to ask all of your questions - big or small! Just remember that you are receiving advice from other cat owners and lovers... not professionals. If you have a major problem, always seek the advice of a vet or behaviorist! Most important is to remember to have fun with your new fur baby.

(Page 1 of 3: Viewing entries 1 to 10)  
Page Links: 1  2  3  
Gypsy

Purred: Sun Oct 9, '11 3:26pm PST 
I've never had a cat before, but will be getting a 12 wk old kitten later this month. I've read that while she's young, we should have a litterbox on each floor so that she's less likely to have accidents.

So, my question is at what age, and how do I wean her off the upstairs litterbox? I don't want to create a situation where she starts going on the floor because I took away the upstairs litterbox.

Thanks.
[notify]

ZOEY

Growing up with - TORTITUDE

Purred: Sun Oct 9, '11 8:03pm PST 
How exciting to get your first kitten!!!

Our pawrents have a 3 story house so when we first got adopted they had litter boxes on each floor for us. We were really good at using the litter boxes and Mommy used the dr. Elsey's Kitten Attract litter which we seemed to love. We never had a problem. It didn't take long before she was able to take some of them away but she can't remember how long it was. I would just go by instinct. Some would still keep litter boxes on different floors. But we have 2 huge litter boxes in an open landing area (you can see a pic on our pages of our sandbox room) in the middle floor of our house which works for us. We now use dr Elsey's precious cat litter. They have never had an accident.

I bet you are so looking forward to getting your new little baby!

happy dance
[notify]

ZOEY

Purred: Sun Oct 9, '11 8:12pm PST 
I would add that you should figure out which location you want the litter box to remain so that she knows where to always find that litter box. Maybe buy a bigger litter box for that area. Then you can remove any extra smaller boxes you aren't going to keep out later. Really cats are pretty good at using their litter box if it is kept clean. They are very neat and clean animals.
[notify]

Gypsy

Purred: Mon Oct 10, '11 12:21pm PST 
Thanks for your responses. smile

I'm definitely excited, and nervous. Puppies and dogs I understand, but I've never had cats before, so I'm doing a lot of reading to prepare (and cleaning up, and shopping, and figuring out kittenproofing solutions).

We have a weekend trip planned in a couple of weeks, so we'll go pick her up after that. Actually, it looks like it'll be Halloween weekend.

Litter and litterboxes and scoopers and birds and mice and dancers and charmers and trees and pheremones and catnip and scratching posts.... whew.

I'm sure I'll have photos and a lot more questions in three short weeks. smile
[notify]

Memphis

World Domination- Is Easier With- Thumbs

Purred: Mon Oct 10, '11 2:19pm PST 
Word of caution on the toys: she will find plastic milk bottle rings, soda caps, and her tail infinitely more interesting than the pricey toys.big laugh
[notify]

Emily

Don't pet, play!

Purred: Mon Oct 10, '11 3:48pm PST 
I don't have any advice about the upstairs box, but just wanted to say congratulations on being a first time kitty mom (or dad.) We became first time kitty parents last fall (when we adopted Emily here) and fell so head over heels in love that we adopted a second cat after 6 weeks and a third one 6 weeks after that! They are so much fun! We look forward to seeing more of you and helping you with questions when we can. I've found forums like this very helpful and fun for sharing the joys of kittenhood.
[notify]

ZOEY

Purred: Mon Oct 10, '11 5:53pm PST 
Emily you sure turned your pawrents into cat lovers!

way to go

Gypsy another thing I will add is that 2 cats are even more fun. My pawrents are so happy they adopted both of us as we have so much fun together. As she posted in another thread, Mommy feels like they jipped their first cat in being an only cat with no siblings. Cats really do enjoy playing together and having each other as company. And 2 is just as easy as 1. Very entertaining too. Both of our cats are lovable with us and each other. And easier to get both I think when they are young. Just a thought!
[notify]

Emily

Don't pet, play!

Purred: Tue Oct 11, '11 6:25am PST 
It's true, Zoey. It is so much fun to see them interact and play together and I think their lives are enriched by having the other cats around. We had the opportunity to adopt littermates when we adopted Emily but two kittens seemed so overwhelming for first timers. We changed our minds pretty quickly, obviously! I always want to suggest that folks consider adopting two kittens at once but I'm so enthusiastic about it that I don't want to come off as pushy. But since you brought it up, Zoey...kitty. Just something to consider, Gypsy.
[notify]

Gypsy

Purred: Tue Oct 11, '11 7:38am PST 
The problem is that Dad's allergic. frown

I'm a Savannah, which means a few generations back in my family tree, an African Serval had a torrid love affair with a domestic cat. Some people say Savannahs don't cause as many problems with folks with allergies, and when Dad visited a few weeks ago, he seemed OK.

He's also taking lots of precautions... he has a HEPA air filter in his bedroom, and it's a designated no cat's land. And he's got some stuff called Allerpet to clean the allergens off my fur.

Plus, unlike a lot of cats, Savannahs often like water, so he's hoping we can get a regular bath routine going. (Anyone know a good kitten shampoo?)

And some people say they get used to their own cats after a month or two.

But, there's a chance things just won't work out, and I'll go back to my birth Mom until I can find another home, and to be honest, adopting me wasn't cheap.

if things do work out, there's always a chance I might get a new sister later.

So, keep everything crossed that I get to stay, cause I have a feeling it's going to be a nice place, and my new Dad's will spoil me rotten. big grin
[notify]

Snow the- Kitten - DIT#30

Play Hard &- Fast, Nap Hard &- Fast!!

Purred: Tue Oct 11, '11 11:06am PST 
We're thrilled for you & can tell you unequivocally that you have never laughed as much as you will with a kitten in the house!! Don't be too nervous because you can get info on anything-cat here!!
I was finally able to get a 2nd cat for Tink and he is a 13wk old kitten! We'll be right here to share & help you with ANYTHING you may need. I work at a cat clinic & am certified.
You may want to keep the 2nd box until he is full grown, probly around 9 months old. One of the reasons they have accidents is that their legs are too short to get them there in a hurry. Most cats immediately adapt to more or fewer boxes, but you'll need to cover over the scent, so scrub the surrounding wall & floor.kitty
[notify]

(Page 1 of 3: Viewing entries 1 to 10)  
Page Links: 1  2  3