GO!

Overprotective mama cat?

Got a new, young, furry love in your life? This is the place for you to ask all of your questions - big or small! Just remember that you are receiving advice from other cat owners and lovers... not professionals. If you have a major problem, always seek the advice of a vet or behaviorist! Most important is to remember to have fun with your new fur baby.

Greta (now- in kitty- heaven)

I am the QUEEN- OF THE HOUSE!

Purred: Tue Oct 4, '11 6:11pm PST 
Hi again,

My mama is going to go to my Gamma's house soon, fur 1 week, to help out with fostering some kittens. Right now they live with their mama, Susie. They are 4 months old and all including mama cat live in the house.
The kittens were born wild but are slowly getting socialized. Susie however still hovers over them and protects them. When Gamma's ofur cats try to approach one of them, Susie will attack them. (AFAIK she is not like that toward humans.) How long should a mama cat be among her babies? If she's being overprotective, is there a way to stop this behavior?

Tank you in advance fur your help!
[notify]

Greta (now- in kitty- heaven)

I am the QUEEN- OF THE HOUSE!

Purred: Tue Oct 4, '11 6:13pm PST 
Furgot to add - Susie is not feral but she grew up having to fend fur herself outdoors. Could this be the cause of her overprotectiveness? (If that is indeed what she's doing?)
[notify]