GO!

Kitten Food

Got a new, young, furry love in your life? This is the place for you to ask all of your questions - big or small! Just remember that you are receiving advice from other cat owners and lovers... not professionals. If you have a major problem, always seek the advice of a vet or behaviorist! Most important is to remember to have fun with your new fur baby.

(Page 2 of 2: Viewing entries 11 to 16)  
1  2  
Ralphie & Randy

Purred: Wed Sep 14, '11 2:16pm PST 
WOW! She's a tough little fighter like my Randy. He also survived distemper as a kitten. I understand it's very rare for small kittens to survive that nasty virus, so these are very special little kitties! What about her mama and littermates?

We were told that blindness is one of the possible after-effects for kittens who survive distemper. I did a bit of research on the subject of blind cats just in case it was something that would affect Randy, and there is a lot of information available about blind or half-blind cats. After reading stories from people with blind cats, I wasn't nearly so afraid of it anymore. Apparently cats can do very well without their sight or with limited sight, and their senses of hearing and smell compensate for their lack of vision.

I hope your little gal is okay after her illness and will progress quickly. Please post an update after she goes to the vet!
[notify]

Purred: Wed Sep 14, '11 10:26pm PST 
Oh, I know! It's like a 5% survival rate, and she was only 2 weeks old, so I was really surprised my friend managed to bring her through.

She lives with her mama cat, 3 siblings, and an older kitten (5 months) from her mom's previous litter, and they're all doing fine.
[notify]

Ralphie & Randy

Purred: Fri Sep 16, '11 7:47am PST 
Is your friend a vet, or how was the kitten diagnosed? It would be very unusual for only one kitten out of a litter to get distemper, as it is very easily transmitted. It would also be unusual for such a tiny kitten to recover with just home care, or even at all.

I ask because a cat who survives distemper will subsequently develop a lifetime immunity to the virus and will not need to be vaccinated. I would hate to have you report to a vet that she had distemper when it was actually something else, and have them leave the vaccine out of her combo. She would be susceptible to the virus in the future if she didn't actually have it and isn't vaccinated against it.

I apologize if she was examined and diagnosed by a vet. I'm just concerned about the little gal. Distemper scares the life out of me!
[notify]

Mirah

Bite & Run

Purred: Thu Nov 17, '11 11:33pm PST 
I somehow missed this response! Little late, but:
I mentioned it (the distemper) awhile ago, and my friend changed her story and told me it had been something else - I don't remember what.

Long story short though, that kitten has a new owner now. I took her home as planned, she wouldn't stop meowing, and I asked my friend if she knew anyone else that wanted a kitten.. whereupon she freaked out and lined up a new owner, and then guilted me into giving her up by saying said new owner was already on her way, and she had no way to contact her. confused

As you can see though, I adopted Mirah afterwards, and we're getting along pretty well, though she likes to bite smile
[notify]

Kosuteh

Biting means I- love you..- right?

Purred: Fri Nov 18, '11 9:59am PST 
I'm sorry to hear you had to give up the kitten, but I'm really glad to hear you were able to give one a forever home!
[notify]

Ralphie & Randy

Purred: Fri Nov 18, '11 11:23am PST 
Mirah is so pretty! What a face! Hopefully she's just teething and will settle down with the biting as she gets older.

I'm sorry you had to deal with your flakey friend and losing one kitten, but I'm glad the kittens didn't have FPV after all.
[notify]

(Page 2 of 2: Viewing entries 11 to 16)  
1  2