GO!

Introducing a 4mo kitten to a 2mo kitten

Got a new, young, furry love in your life? This is the place for you to ask all of your questions - big or small! Just remember that you are receiving advice from other cat owners and lovers... not professionals. If you have a major problem, always seek the advice of a vet or behaviorist! Most important is to remember to have fun with your new fur baby.

Pixel

Life is good.- Please respect- us kitties.

Purred: Thu Aug 4, '11 5:03pm PST 
I got Pixel who is now four months old. I really feel she needs a buddy and am getting a fellow female ragdoll who is two months younger. I had Pixel three weeks and may not be able to pick up the new kitty until a week or two. How should I introduce them?
[notify]

Nerys

I'm a princess- and I know it.

Purred: Thu Aug 4, '11 5:53pm PST 
They're still young enough that they'll probably get along just fine from day 1. Still, I suppose a little caution never hurts, so I would personally recommend this:

- Give the new kitten her own room for a few days, so that she has a chance to calm down and get used to the smells and sounds of her new home before she has to deal with the added excitement of a new buddy.

- Once the new kitten seems to be settled in (eating and drinking okay, not huddling in the corner, etc), put up your current kitten and let the new one explore the house by herself.

- If possible, let them meet each other under the door: that way they can sniff each other and maybe even paw at each other a bit but still feel completely safe.

- Finally, let them meet "for real". Just set them down several feet apart and let them wander up to each other. (Don't try to force anything, and make sure they have room to run away if they get frightened--a cornered cat may panic.) If they react well (sniffy, pawing, nuzzling, playing), you're good to go! Just be sure to keep an eye on them initially, to make sure the older one doesn't inadvertently hurt the younger one. You may also want to separate them when you're not around or asleep, at least until you're sure that they can be trusted to get along. If they DON'T react well (hissing, growling, backing away), it's time to slow down and look up the slower introduction techniques that are recommended when you introduce adult cats.

Again, I really think most of this approach is overkill: kittens love to have playmates, and they should get along fine. When we've introduced new cats to our household, introducing adults to adults is always tricky, but introducing adults and kittens is a breeze. Introducing a kitten to another kitten shouldn't be any trouble at all.

Good luck to you and your new babies! cat on moon
[notify]

Pixel

Purred: Fri Aug 5, '11 7:28am PST 
Thank you so much. After having a ragdoll share my life, I realize that even if you work from home like I do, you should still get two. It's expensive though and I'm happy to have had a month to recuperate to afford another kitten. I chose to have both ragdolls as one can tell how they will interact with each other as adults. I knew someone who mixed breeds (got a maine coon and a bengal). They loved each other as kittens but hated each other as adults. I really wanted to have a "history" of the cat and know what to expect as they age.

I hope to get another cat as awesome as Pixel. I couldn't as for more. big hug
[notify]

Solo

Ridin' Solo

Purred: Fri Aug 5, '11 9:28am PST 
Since they are both young they should be good buddies within a few days. Keep the new kitty in a small room seperate from the rest of the house until she get's more comfortable with her new surroundings. Then you can slowly start introducin her to the rest of the home and Pixel. P.S. I love the name Pixel! Very original and cute smile
[notify]

Pixel

Purred: Sat Aug 6, '11 7:26pm PST 
Thank you. Pixel is a tortie colored kitty so I thought the name fit her. I work in computers. But her nickname could be mooch because she loves what I make for dinner. She really likes peas.
[notify]

Tigger

Purred: Sat Aug 6, '11 9:15pm PST 
Tiggers dad here, I just brought home a 9 week old kitten to keep a 14 week old kitten company so not as far in age as your two but similar situation. I figured they would get along immediately but just to be safe I supervised them at first to see how they would do. Tigger was a little upset about the new kitty, Athena at first but quickly got over it and within 30 minutes they were best friends. I didn't even have to keep Athena in her own room or anything. If your two kitties don't hit it off then I would give the new kitten her own room until they are getting along as previously mentioned by other posters. Good luck, and getting a playmate for your kitten was a very good idea, they will both thank you smile
[notify]

Shade

If your lap is- available, I'll- be there!

Purred: Mon Aug 8, '11 7:43pm PST 
I brought Shade home first and had him for almost 3 weeks before I brought Sterling home. It took all of 1 minute for them to start playing. I supervised them all evening to make sure there were no problems but there weren't any.
kissing