GO!

Do you think I'm a DMH or a Maine Coon mix?

Got a new, young, furry love in your life? This is the place for you to ask all of your questions - big or small! Just remember that you are receiving advice from other cat owners and lovers... not professionals. If you have a major problem, always seek the advice of a vet or behaviorist! Most important is to remember to have fun with your new fur baby.

(Page 1 of 2: Viewing entries 1 to 10)  
Page Links: 1  2  
Fluffy

Purred: Wed Jul 20, '11 11:21am PST 
Hello,

I wasn't sure where to post this, so I posted it in the Maine Coon forum and here. Our little Fluffy came to us just over a week ago and we already adore her! My mother-in-law adopted her from a kennel/breeder of Rottweilers and, unfortunately, she received very little info about Fluffy -- not even her approximate age or sex.

We just went to the vet and she's about 4.5 lbs and VERY long. The vet guessed that she's about 12 weeks old. Based on her size and the way she looks we were wondering if she might be part Maine Coon? Or a super-big and lovey DMH? I have had many cats through the years (we currently have 6 others) and I've never met one like Fluffy. She acts more like a puppy than kitten ... she follows us around from room to room, "talks" in this teeny little voice when we walk in the door, carries her toys around, licks us endlessly, and is incredibly gentle with my children. She won't even eat unless we are in the room with her. None of my kittens have ever behaved this way! I looked up Maine Coon kitties online, and everything seems to fit ... but I'm not at all familiar with the breed so I was curious to see what you all think. I've uploaded a few photos.

Please let me know what you think! Thanks so much smile

p.s~ I've been having a look around and this site is great!smile

Edited by author Wed Jul 20, '11 11:27am PST

[notify]

Kona

Grouchy cats- need luv too!!

Purred: Wed Jul 20, '11 2:45pm PST 
Hi! Welcome to Catster! welcome Fluffy is adorable! Judging by her facial features, she may well have some MC in her. I have a friend who has a MC and he is HUGE! Such sweet cats though! Enjoy your new baby! happy dance
[notify]

Fluffy

Purred: Wed Jul 20, '11 11:09pm PST 
Thank you so much! smile Fluffy is such a sweetie, and we're so grateful to have found her. Each "fur-person" I've met is unique, but Fluffy's disposition is SO different that it got me curious!

Thanks again and have a nice night!cat on moon
[notify]

Lowell

Regional Winner!

Purred: Thu Jul 21, '11 1:47am PST 
You are a Maine Coon. Your facial configuration suggests that you MAY be the result of a mating with a purebred MC and a moggie. MCs are a naturally occurring American cat. Facial and body configuration determinate breed. There are subtle differences between purebed and naturally occurring MCs. Whatever the case, your cat is a Maine Coon.
[notify]

Lowell

Regional Winner!

Purred: Thu Jul 21, '11 1:47am PST 
You are a Maine Coon. Your facial configuration suggests that you MAY be the result of a mating with a purebred MC and a moggie. MCs are a naturally occurring American cat. Facial and body configuration determinate breed. There are subtle differences between purebed and naturally occurring MCs. Whatever the case, your cat is a Maine Coon.
[notify]

Fluffy

Purred: Thu Jul 21, '11 9:00am PST 
Thank you so much for your insight!smile When I looked at Maine Coon photos online, I thought she looked quite similar ... but I wasn't sure exactly what to look for. It's great to know that she is (at least part) Maine Coon. I love all my kitties, but Fluffy's temperament makes me understand why so many people adore MCs. My husband swears she looks like a little mountain cat and acts like a dog!

Thank you again!

p.s.~ Your kitties are gorgeous!!smile

Edited by author Thu Jul 21, '11 9:02am PST

[notify]

Tink the Cat

Never met a- mouse I didn\'t- bat!

Purred: Fri Jul 22, '11 4:39pm PST 
Not only that, but she's exhibiting the behaviors of a Maine Coon, down to a tee!! If there's one or two, you'd never know for sure, but ALL the behaviors you mention are specific to MC's.
She is adorable and you are very lucky!!! Luv, Tink kittyhamster dancesnoopy
[notify]

K.C. (Kitty)

Kitty Cat (K.C.)

Purred: Fri Jul 22, '11 9:25pm PST 
Hi Fluffy! You are a beautiful kitten! Gotta love them cute white socks! ;-)

Fluffy

Purred: Fri Jul 22, '11 10:14pm PST 
Thank you Tink!smile Even though we did notice that Fluffy's physical appearance was unusual, it was her many interesting behaviors that really made me curious -- not one of the dozens of furry friends we've had through the years acted this way! I was really upset when my mother-in-law told me she impulsively adopted a kitten and then couldn't keep it; but now I'm so happy that she did, otherwise we never would have known Fluffy smile

And thank you K.C.!smile Love those little white feet, too -- my 3 1/2 year old son wanted to name her "socks," but we already have a tuxudo kitty named Socks, hehe
[notify]

Louis- Armstrong - ILM

I'm walkin' to- New Orleans.....

Purred: Sun Jul 24, '11 8:41am PST 
Louie is part Maine Coon, also exhibits the behaviors Fluffy does. Glad Lowell's human posted, she has several pure bred Maine Coons, so she knows one when she sees one. Enjoy this special girl, she obviously has already taken over the house. Check out Louie's page, he even walks on a leash!!!

Welcome to CATSTER, the best place for advice on all sorts of cat topics.

The New Orleans Kittieswavewavewelcome
[notify]

(Page 1 of 2: Viewing entries 1 to 10)  
Page Links: 1  2