GO!

Rescued and unfamiliar with anything other than a Cage.. Help?

Got a new, young, furry love in your life? This is the place for you to ask all of your questions - big or small! Just remember that you are receiving advice from other cat owners and lovers... not professionals. If you have a major problem, always seek the advice of a vet or behaviorist! Most important is to remember to have fun with your new fur baby.

(Page 2 of 2: Viewing entries 11 to 16)  
1  2  
Miss- Elizabeth- Bennett

Looking for Mr.- Darcy

Purred: Fri Feb 18, '11 12:20pm PST 
Ollie.....you sure look like my newest kitten, Miss Elizabeth Bennett....you are both orangie girls!!

So you are not eating....saw you just arrived in your new home yesterday. Are you being fed what you ate at the shelter?? Ollie's person....she WILL eat when she is really hungry, and good news on her using the litter box. Know you are concerned.

As far at the little lump in her stomach, that I cannot comment on, but there are many, many CATSTER members who are very knowledgeable about feline health problems. And, if there is a vet connected to the shelter you adopted her from it would not hurt to contact him/her. Good luck with this little girl. We all LOVE reading about kittens being resuced and in loving, furrever homes.

The New Orleans Kitties
[notify]

Penn & Teller

Masters of The- Multiverse

Purred: Fri Feb 18, '11 12:40pm PST 
Penn has the same bump under his tummy, it's a hernia. Start saving up for an operation!

or I think it's a hernia if I'm thinking of the same thing. Don't play with it too much though! (I still need to get Penn's fixed, operations aren't cheap confused)
[notify]

Nuk Anuk

Couching Tiger

Purred: Fri Feb 18, '11 1:41pm PST 
Ideally, it's best to set you up with a small territory that contains everything you need. Your own little space to grow comfortable in. From there you can adjust to the smells, sounds, and routine of your house. I, Sweets and Taag all spent our first days here with the bathroom all to ourselves. Once we were comfortable in there we wanted to explore the rest of the house.

Taag, thought she wanted to explore the rest of the house, but was quickly overwhelmed by all of the unfamiliar territory presented before her. She went from the bathroom to under the bed. The humans left her alone but would sit in the bedroom, reading out loud from books to her. Taag got used to their voices and viewed them as nonthreatening parts of her life. Gradually they engaged her in play when she'd venture out. (Wand type toys are perfect for play without direct interaction)

You'll get used to your new home and Mom, it's just a matter of doing it according to your own timetable (which nobody but you knows.)

As for the lump on your tummy. Generally speaking soft lumps are better than hard lumps, but it's really hard (and I wouldn't dare) to guess without actually seeing you, what it is.
Some great suggestions have been already presented. I agree that it's a great idea to speak to the veterinarian that PAWS uses. Ollie had to have had an intake exam.
[notify]

Shade

My name is not- Kittyfloss!

Purred: Fri Feb 18, '11 4:27pm PST 
Hi! I don't have anything additional to add to the good advice that's already been given, but I just wanted to say that I think that it's great that you are giving another little kitty a wonderful new home even though you've recently lost Cleo.

Congratulations on your new home Ollie!!

Purrs,
Shade
[notify]

Finnegan- (Finney)

I am a- CARNIVORE! Not a- Cornivore!

Purred: Fri Feb 18, '11 8:00pm PST 
Ollie I see a new picture of you hiding under your mommy's pillow! This is great news. You're doing wonderful and I'll bet anything that by tomorrow afternoon, you'll start chowing on food. I just love that you have this new home. You're going to be better than ever and once you realize you don't have to be in a nasty old cage anymore, wow! Look out mommy! laugh out loud I see a serious case of the zoomies within a week. way to go
[notify]

Newton

Purred: Sun Feb 20, '11 7:31pm PST 
Ollie, first of all concatulations and welcome to your new home!!
It is not unusual for a cat or kitten not eat the first day at home, even not to go anywhere..it is all stress and as soon as you relax you'd do what comes naturally.
Tell your mom she's a great person to give you a home and that one of the thing our foster mom does for nervous kitties is to mimmick the place they came from before; ie if a cage, she has 2x2x2 kennels with a carrier inside.
Never put kitten/cat loose in a room at first. And then gradually give her more freedom
[notify]

(Page 2 of 2: Viewing entries 11 to 16)  
1  2