GO!

Rescued and unfamiliar with anything other than a Cage.. Help?

Got a new, young, furry love in your life? This is the place for you to ask all of your questions - big or small! Just remember that you are receiving advice from other cat owners and lovers... not professionals. If you have a major problem, always seek the advice of a vet or behaviorist! Most important is to remember to have fun with your new fur baby.

(Page 1 of 2: Viewing entries 1 to 10)  
Page Links: 1  2  
Ollie

Miss Pup - "Loves to play- fetch"

Purred: Thu Feb 17, '11 4:29pm PST 
Hi.. My name is Ollie (same as another kitten who posted!!!).. I was rescued from PAWS today and have never lived anywhere other than a cage.. I am really confused as to what to do.. I have been in my new Mommy's home for 7 hours and have barely left from under the bed and when I did leave it was because my Mommy tried to get me out but I just ran back under..

How do I battle the fear of the unknown so I can come out and play, eat, and use the litter box??!!
[notify]

Finnegan- (Finney)

I am a- CARNIVORE! Not a- Cornivore!

Purred: Thu Feb 17, '11 6:11pm PST 
Hi there little buddy. Oh it must be so scary and wow, you have all this new space to roam! It will take some time. The best thing your new mom could do is set up a small area on the floor in a place where there's not much foot traffic. Put a thick blanket or fleece is even better and make a little bed for you. Putting a watch or a clock that ticks under the blanket is always a good way to keep some soft noise going so it's not too quiet but not scary. I would say put the litter box for now somewhere very accessible so you can see it. Your mom will have to be patient and teach you how to use it. If your mom has a small stuffed animal she can put next to you, that's also comforting. Just make sure there's nothing like loose eyes, string or anything you can eat off of it and choke! You know what? I'm going to get my friend BK to come and talk to you. His momma fosters little kitties ALL the time and will know what's best for you. She may not be on here until tomorrow though, I don't know but she will write to you okay? But some of the things I suggested will help. way to go
[notify]

Penn & Teller

Masters of The- Multiverse

Purred: Thu Feb 17, '11 7:02pm PST 
Penn and Teller were the exact same when they came to their forebber home too! They made an under the bed fort and said "no Meowma allowed!" so I was very clever and tempted them with little bits of cheese. I'm not sure there are many kittens who can resist the cheese temptation. This at least brought them out long enough so I could place both of them in the litterbox close by in my bathroom. Once I did that I left them there so they would find their way back under the bed if they so chose to go back. That took care of that. They knew where their box was now. I left them alone to make plans of World Domination and so forth in their under the bed fort in peace. I sat on my bed and waited...
Every so often I would come back with very very small bit of cheese, one or two for each. I would pet them very gently and speak softly as they nibbled. I NEVER picked them up. This only lasted a couple of days, the strictly hiding under the bed. Then Teller came out first. He sniffed around my room and drank his water. He decided to eat during the day. His brother soon followed. By the 4th day both of them were playing in my closet together and getting on my bed, approaching me. By day 7 Teller was waking me in the middle of the night by purring at my nose to let me know he wanted to be cuddled or played with or something! haha! By day 14 they were completely socialized to my children and all it really took was patience and never forcing the issue. I sat in my bed and let them approach me. It was almost as if the longer I pretended like I didn't see those little cuties the more they wanted me to look..
[notify]

Finnegan- (Finney)

I am a- CARNIVORE! Not a- Cornivore!

Purred: Thu Feb 17, '11 7:12pm PST 
Wow! Good job with them. Those are excellent ideas! I wouldn't have thought of the cheese temptations. big grin
[notify]

Elise

Future mother of- Grand Champions!

Purred: Fri Feb 18, '11 1:19am PST 
You might want to set up a cardboard box or LARGE carrier in a quiet place, with the blankets and clock, and a litter box nearby. Of course, if it's a carrier (or a cage if you have one), you leave the door open, giving kitty the opportunity to go in and out at will. I keep my carriers (those plastic types used for air travel) lying around open all the time, and some of my cats actually enjoy napping in them. Don't worry, your kitty will soon get used to being in a loving home.
[notify]

TIA SYDIBIL

STILL WATERS RUN- DEEP

Purred: Fri Feb 18, '11 5:11am PST 
Hi, Ollie -

WELCOME TO YOUR NEW HOME.partyparty

Tell your new Mom that it won't take long for your natural "kitty curiosity" to take over. All the previous posters were exactly right. I'm older than you and Mom was patient but it took a while for me to come out from under the sofa except for litter box breaks.
[notify]

BooBoo

headed for the- light.

Purred: Fri Feb 18, '11 6:33am PST 
Yep,this totally normal. When a new kitty comes here, Meowma puts wood around the bed so the kitty doesn't go under, and a row of 12 inch bouncy balls behind the sofa to block that area (reclining couches or chairs can kill a kitty, so she doesn't want anycat to have a habit of hanging out there) She does leave a cardboard box with a hole cut in, carriers, etc for hiding places. Point being, it's not too hard to get close to a kitty in one of those,so she can work on building kitty confidence, but it still gives them a comfort zone.
[notify]

Emily

Don't pet, play!

Purred: Fri Feb 18, '11 6:54am PST 
I hid under a blanket in my carrier for 2 days when I came to my new home. I had lived in a cage for 4 months and was very nervous about leaving it. My mom knew I was coming out at night to explore because the litter box was used and the food picked at. My family came in the room and quietly read books to me but never really tried to tempt me out. They only caught glimpses of my paws or eyes those first two days. One morning my mom came in with string and I came out and played for two hours. The rest, as they say, is history. (It did take me a week or so to be comfortable exploring every room of the house.)
[notify]

BK

Ambassador at- the Kitty U.N.

Purred: Fri Feb 18, '11 8:14am PST 
Welcome Ollie! Just wanted to reassure you and mommy that this is perfectly normal. There are some fosters that I don't even see for a week or more after they arrive. Time is your best friend right now. Leave Ollie alone as much as possible. Let him get used to the new sights, sounds and smells. He will venture out more and more as time goes by. Food is your next best friend. You can use it to help him learn that there are good things to be had when he comes out. Food can also be used as a reward - Ollie should be given treats when he does something adventurous. Once he's comfortable coming out to eat, you can start petting him during meals. Often kittens are so absorbed by food that they barely notice you're touching them and they get more and more used to your presence and your touch. Speak gently whenever you see him and even when you don't - whenever you're in the same room as he is.

I hope this helps and please feel free to paw mail us if you need any more ideas or if you have any questions!
[notify]

Ollie

Miss Pup - "Loves to play- fetch"

Purred: Fri Feb 18, '11 12:09pm PST 
I have started to explore!! and i have used the litter box BUT i wont eat.. I know where my food is because i sniff it and walk away.. that includes wet and dry food and my water.. which is concerning my mommy!

also.. this may be in the wrong forum but my mommy has discovered a bump on my stomach under the skin that kind of moves when touched but does not hurt me.. she doesnt know what to make of it?? i have already been spayed and i dont remember it being there yesterday.. help?
[notify]

(Page 1 of 2: Viewing entries 1 to 10)  
Page Links: 1  2